Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh and another thing hat crossed my mind:

on the subject of portfolio and portfolio creation- what advice is there in making our portfolios? for those of you who got in, what would you have done differently? what is your best advice?

and what is the best way to get everything done for the application? is there an essay? how intense is it? how long should we give a teacher advanced notice before expecting them to be able to do an accurate and beneficial evaluation?

I've also heard that basically, if you have the money, you are sure to get in... i choose not to believe that- but what ever the case, how can you with short notice, basically heighten your chances of getting in?

Last edited by themegagod; October 29th, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently I commute from orlando to sarasta about 2.5 hrs each way.
    I have to work or I won't be able to attend and its a basic min wage work. I didn't prepare enough for school so this term is tough. I'm only keeping up cause so far I have an easy load (to me) since most is experimenting of new media and life drawing. I'm unable to go to any clubs but I have been keeping up with the quest lectures and try to submit to shows. If I could turn back time (or heir to a large sume of money) I'd definitly would have paid off more of my tuition in one go and just make money from commissions.

Maybe if I was a CA major I'd just callapse, I've already have close calls. Though this has more to do with the harsh commute then anything else.

the notion about electives, Ringling have a strict scheduling policy. Your core studio classes are year long so if you dont take it in the fall, you most likely will have to wait a year. you can't automatically add/drop classes, you have to go to your counsular for anything (and currently theres only about 2). I definitly dislike lecture classes over studio classes any day (and I found that I really don't care for oils and any messy medium).

Currently I'm looking for off campus housing but the school does no help with that and sarasta is expensive because its next to the beach. I see my self living in bradenton or another near by town thats not as expensive.

There's so much things that goes on at the school. They have a monthly BBQ, weekly lectures and other stuff that they email you about. Plus there's posters everywhere. Only thing, so far I don't think you can get into the dorm areas with out a special key. Even if I had more time Ringling can keep you really busy with activities.

There is a bus system there (cheaper then Orlando) but I have no problems using public transport from different cities (Con hopper). Though I haven't used SCAT yet cause the only time I'm in Sarasota is for class or shows so I park in the morning and just walk about campus.

If you can stand the heat, you can bike to publix (grocery) and there's other convenience stores around. Other then that, you should get a car cause carrying all that stuff gets to be a hassle.

for the portfolio, they want class subject work like life drawing, color theory, 2d design and composition with 1-2 pieces of work related to your major. If you submit your portfolio early, you can call a few days later and talk to them about it if you need to send more stuff to add. For me I would have put more of my colorful work. I only got into my 2nd year transfer because of how they just changed the core 1st year. There are some things I would like them to transfer so I'm talking to admissions about it.

give your teachers about 1-2 months to do your evaluation and have more then 2 do them. chances are, at least 2 will do it in a month and at least one will take over 4 months to send theirs in. Its annoying when you have a deadline to meet to get scholarships.

I think what really got me in (at least a good part of it) was that I was transferring from SCAD then a community collage. I haven't been here long enough to the know background workings of RSAD but with scad at the time I went, it did feel like if you got money you get in. So far everyone in my class is pretty high in quality and I have some amazingly talented teachers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cetriya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone, i'm a CA sophomore. Conceptart helped me a lot with getting into Ringling so I'm here to give back! Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    In regards to working while going to school:
    what is the job market like for students in the sarasota area?
    did you have any job skills/ degrees under your belt so you could get a decent paying job, or were you working at a minimum wage entry job to lower your debt?
    how many hours could you work, or is advisable to work?
    how'd you manage job work and school work, when many others can barely handle class work? Did it take a toll on your elective courses- did you have to take easier electives than perhaps you would have with more free time?

In Living off campus:
    To have a bit of a "dorm experience" are their often other art students looking for off campus housing?
    (in other words if enough art students lived in one house, wouldn't their be a similar "art community" environment?)
    In prior posts in the past year or so, it was mentioned that to get around one MUST drive, yet in the promotional usb a student said you could bike every where; which is more true?

I know... i ask a lot... but any help you can give, again is much appreciated.
    and yes mostly this is directed towards copperfire, but if anyone has any insight- please be my guest to answer anything... chances are you know A LOT more than i do.
    jobs wise, if you're looking to enter the GAD major chances are you would be too busy to have a job outside unless you have super time management skills. Even then I'd advise you to put all your time into learning software and being awesome at what you do to increase your chances of getting a job when you graduate. But if you're looking for a job on campus you can easily get one. The great thing about working on campus is that the jobs are really easy and there's alot of time to do homework on the job :3 it's like getting paid to do homework. The wages are minimum though, expect about $7-$8 an hour.

I would advice living off campus after freshman year. You can save up to 60% living off campus but it's fun to be on campus for freshman year. You get to meet a lot of people.

Portfolios for GAD have the same requirement as CA. But I think they are more lenient on GAD portfolios but correct me if I'm wrong! But just to be on the safe side, I'd say work on your figure drawing skills, get a sketchbook and draw everyday. Learn perspective and anatomy. You draw a lot less as a GAD major compared to a CA major I think, but it's always good to have strong fundamentals. Having prior knowledge of UDK, Maya and Zbrush will be really helpful too. Portfolios don't look at any software knowledge but trust me, it will make your life a lot easier if you're comfortable with the softwares.

the best way to get ready for your application is to get it done asap :p ringling is actually really flexible with documents, but make sure you get your portfolio in on time because that's the main thing they're looking at.

to heighten your chances of getting in, i'd say just make as good a portfolio as you can!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, this is the slowest hopefuls thread i've read before. I'm used to this being all full of buzz by now. I wonder what thats about...
    well anyways, I was wondering; I'm going back to take some classes i've already taken to raise my GPA some more. What i was wondering, is since the classes i plan on taken (obviously) won't be finished by the time I apply, is there anyway to specify to Admissions that my GPA should be higher than it is by the time I'm accepted?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a 2012 hopeful for illustration. I'm from Alabama, and I plan on moving down to Sarasota in June should I get accepted. Would I be able to get any state grants for then becoming a Florida resident at that point? I'm 19, and will be living with 3 roommates, so I essentially couldn't collect fin. aid myself... Unless I were 24 not living at home anyway. How have some of you guys handled the financial situation being from out of state? (Considering the university I currently attend is roundabout $12,000/annually)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAve I stated i'm amazed at how dead this topic is this year? are less people enrolling than in years passed? do people not know or are not using conceptart this year to discuss this?
    Has any hopeful visited the campus?
    how's everyone's portfolio coming along?
    anyone visit any of the portfolio days?
    I mean the time is RAPIDLY approaching where it is sink or swim, and no one is one here... what gives?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by erinrkirk View Post
    I'm a 2012 hopeful for illustration. I'm from Alabama, and I plan on moving down to Sarasota in June should I get accepted. Would I be able to get any state grants for then becoming a Florida resident at that point? I'm 19, and will be living with 3 roommates, so I essentially couldn't collect fin. aid myself... Unless I were 24 not living at home anyway. How have some of you guys handled the financial situation being from out of state? (Considering the university I currently attend is roundabout $12,000/annually)
    Since it is a private school, Ringling's tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is the same. However, residency may make you eligible for certain grants and scholarships like the Florida Residency Access Grant (FRAG) which is roughly $3k /year. I do not know what the requirements to be considered a resident are, but I think you have to officially live in the state for a year first. You should call up some government office or talk to financial aid maybe to know for sure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    In regards to working while going to school:
    what is the job market like for students in the sarasota area?
    did you have any job skills/ degrees under your belt so you could get a decent paying job, or were you working at a minimum wage entry job to lower your debt?
    how many hours could you work, or is advisable to work?
    how'd you manage job work and school work, when many others can barely handle class work? Did it take a toll on your elective courses- did you have to take easier electives than perhaps you would have with more free time?
    You are interested in GAD. I am a 3rd year GAD and I was friends with many of the graduates of years past... I will answer your questions as best as I can from my own perspective:

-You will not have time for a job. Don't try, unless its on campus. If you do get a job, your work will suffer. You will only get better at what you do if you devote all of your time to the labs. There is ALWAYS something to work on, ALWAYS something to make better.

-My focus right now is on mastering my trade to the best of my ability. I have to have faith in what I will learn and the skills I develop if I intend on succeeding post-graduation.

-Its not that I can "barely handle" the work, because in sophomore year, I did work at the local Home Depot. It was a miserable job that barely made me any money at all (it was to help pay for rent, living off campus). My performance in school was unacceptable, and the product I was turning in for a grade showed that I wasn't giving it my all. I quit nearly 8 weeks after getting the job, otherwise I would have failed the semester. I now spend close to 65-110 hours a week in the labs working on school work and enjoying what I do.

-The question of electives is a horrible approach and a bad mindset that may develop in to a lazy attitude. Work hard, take classes that ACTUALLY interest you. Don't always take "easy street" (granted its probably a good idea to avoid certain classes that other students always complain about)

-As far as the students who got jobs from the years past, understand this: Just because you have a college degree DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU A JOB. In my third year, I look around and see a lot of LAZY people in my year who will probably NOT get jobs after they graduate (if they make it that far). Working to get a piece of paper is seriously a breeze. Anyone can graduate college by doing the minimum requirements for everything... but what is it that you do that makes you better than everyone else? How can you set the bar higher? How hard can you work at being the best that you can absolutely be? --- All of that being said, the guys (and gals) I know that are working in the industry right now were some of the most dedicated people always committed to becoming a better artist. Its not about money or debt or whatever else, its just about making good art and being able to clearly communicate an idea.

The best suggestion I could give you if you want a sample of what its like is to just participate in the Environment of the Week (ETOW) http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82 -- DO the paintings, spend the time. Do them every time they're posted, for about 4 months... spend however long you need on each one, but only until the due date. Make sure you post your work for others to give you critique and feedback before the due date -- ITERATE ON THIS FEEDBACK. Make the changes people give you. The more active you are in a community helps to open you up to receiving (and giving) critique....

Then one day, you'll realize that's all college is.... one enormous critique.

Last edited by Limewax; December 15th, 2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: cake
    sketchwax.blogspot.com Updated December 2011

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is really interesting! I'm applying to Ringling (bfa in illustration) in addition to a lot of other art and design schools, so reading this was very helpful. Thanks a lot everyone who posted questions and advice!

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling hopeful here - critiques appreciated!

I applied to both SCAD and Ringling for Computer Animation. I'm anxiously waiting for some kind of signal! It's a bit late to revise the portfolio now, but would anyone mind critiquing it or looking at it from the perspective of the academic advisers? It's this album. I'll hopefully transfer some 17 or 18 classes (I hope!!) but I come from a small university where I wasn't really surrounded by lots of people trying to get better :/ so now I'm hoping that my work is good enough to just get in, let alone get a tiny scholarship.

I was accepted to SCAD with a 13k scholarship, but since I'll be living off campus and won't be a full time student (transferring half the curriculum) it really comes down to about $1444 per class I take. Which is less than what I was hoping for, but I think it might be partially because I was transferring so much credit. My SCAD portfolio is here: [link] Again, I'd really appreciate feedback since there's apparently a chance to appeal it (somehow?).

I like my university, but I feel like I was pushed to do more thematic work and, as a result, maybe have not developed as much technically as I should have. The thematic work shows up more in the SCAD portfolio, which is mostly work that I've been doing to get ready for my senior show in uni. I'm glad I went to the little school first because it was free and I'm getting a BFA in just three years, but I am ready to be pushed even further.

For what it's worth, I transferred two years of college credit with a 4.0, an ACT score of 32, and a bunch of AP credits from high school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied here, crossing my fingers. Here's my portfolio http://imgur.com/a/g6wyX. I'll be a 20 year old transfer student so I hope to get credit for maybe 18 courses. My university is pretty small but I have a 4.0 and am about to finish my BFA after just three years and a 32 ACT, so I'm trying to stay optimistic. What do you guys think? It's too late to change it now but any critiques/thoughts on acceptance? would be nice.

It seems like my university stressed thematic development over technical skills. My SCAD portfolio's here http://imgur.com/a/9Nk4o. If you want you can critique that too It's got work that's more geared toward my senior show. Is that kind of the norm of smaller state universities?

Last edited by bodied; December 31st, 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: because of reasons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bodied, I'm in the same boat! I'm a 2012 transfer hopeful as well (applying to CA) but I haven't turned my portfolio in just yet. Best of luck to you!

I also know I'm a bit late to the crit game, but if anyone would pleaaase be so kind to look over my portfolio... mine contains dry media (with the exception of some marker stuff) and it's mostly monochromatic for the sake of concentrating on form itself. I'm hurting for some feedback, so please don't hesitate to be harsh...

My current portfolio. ---> http://imgur.com/a/Wr4yI

(I think I have a few too many pieces as well, so I'm certainly open to suggestions for what I should cut.)

Last edited by KyleDrawer11; December 31st, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, I applied for CA too! I took a look at your portfolio KyleDrawer. It looks very nice, I might leave out the clay piece and the character though. The minimum a transfer student needs is 15 pieces. Want to take a look at mine? http://imgur.com/a/g6wyX I wish I had posted it here before I submitted because now I think maybe I could have used some more figures.

Were you a BFA at a state college as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gvuyfgi987qeq View Post
    I know... i ask a lot... but any help you can give, again is much appreciated.
    and yes mostly this is directed towards copperfire, but if anyone has any insight- please be my guest to answer anything... chances are you know A LOT more than i do.
    What? Someone say my name?

I don't come on here much anymore since I've gotten crazy busy with thesis, so if you really want to ask me something feel free to shoot me an email, and please, don't worry about bothering me, I'm always happy to help

adailey[at]c.ringling.edu

(this goes for everyone !)

Last edited by Elwell; January 6th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kyleDrawer11 I already talked emailed you about your portfolio good stuff overall.

@bodied I know its a bit late but I figured this could still help in your overall development. I think you could have included more gesture drawings. The ones you have now arent bad but the poses in general are a bit stiff. When drawing gestures try to think more about what the figure is doing rather than just copying what you see. Check out these guys, http://woohoopictures.blogspot.com/2...-gestures.html and http://thefirehousestomp.blogspot.co.../tuedsday.html. Even though they are simplifying a lot and relying on shapes the drawings feel like they possess life. This doesn't mean yours are bad Im still struggling with gestures.

Concerning your paintings and longer rendered drawings the main issue is your values. When I squint at them the values are too close to really differentiate anything. Try to think of things more as darks on lights or vise versa. When you look at these http://chapter-56.blogspot.com/2011/06/hermit-crab.html and http://giro3d.blogspot.com/2008/11/drama.html you can see how the important pieces of information come out at you because of the value difference. (light on dark or dark on light)

I hope that helps!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yyates05 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yyates - I see what you mean! I took them into Photoshop and used grayscale mode - what a difference! I'm planning on doing some little studies and I'll really be sure to include more variety in tone.

I really wish I had more access to a model, our school doesn't have life drawing in the spring semester. My teacher pushed me to be accurate with proportion and precise linework but I think I could use a little more anatomy work. Now I want to go people watching again and draw more folks in motion.

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there !!!!! As I said in another thread, I am an applicant to the CA course. I come from Italy, and I never took any art course so I think it'll be pretty hard for me to get in I'll try anyways because drawing is always been a passion of mine. I'm finally done with the 5 exercises required and I've also done some additional drawings. I've got a problem, though : my personal essay is 674 words long, and the commonapp says it has to be between 250-500 words Should I take some parts down, or do you think i should leave it as it is right now ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Legavil View Post
    my personal essay is 674 words long, and the commonapp says it has to be between 250-500 words Should I take some parts down, or do you think i should leave it as it is right now ?
    Definitely trim it down. Admission counselors have to read tons of essays - they won't want to look at anything that is too long. Make some of your arguments more concise, or take any extraneous information out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late response!

bodied- Thanks! My school didn't offer BFA for animation, just regular BA. You have some nice stuff as well, particularly the vending machine piece. What medium did you use for that one?
    And if you're having trouble getting access for some figure drawing, Pixel Lovely is a nice resource to practice gestures in the meantime -----> http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

yyates05- Awesome, thanks again!

Legavil - I had the same issue with my personal essay and called Ringling's admissions to check if it was ok to go over that 500 word count limit. They said it was definitely fine as long as it didn't turn out to be a novel or anything. They seem really flexible, but I'd say to ask them yourself too just to be sure. I finished at 639 words... still a bit long but I made sure every word counted (pun intended )

Happy New Years everyone!

Last edited by KyleDrawer11; January 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KyleDrawer - Thanks! The vending machine was done with pen and ink wash. You might not believe it, but it's cold in front of those things! and omg, that link is awesome! I had no idea there was something like that! Definitely bookmarking it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bodied - I did as you said and it is now 550 words =D Thanks !!!!
    KyleDrawer11 - I tried to call the admissions office but they didn't answer so I decided to just fix it and I think it can work as it is now =) Thank you for your advice ! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went back and reread the Hopefuls threads from years back. This one is absolutely deserted!

I wonder if that means not as many people are applying. How many applied last year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! I'm applying for CA at Ringling this year! I just joined in the hopes this thread might pick up, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about this thread seeming so deserted, i thought about it, and i think it may have to do with, the how to make a portfolio section on the ringling website. When i first found out about concept art, it was actually me searching for what should be in or how to make one's portfolio. now that the ringling(dot)edu website basically tells you all you need to know on that subject, there are less people asking questions about that on this forum. As a basic pattern it seems that these hopeful threads have a lot of sketchbook comparisons early on, and then they pick up again once everyone has applied, and now they are more nervous about payment and housing once they are accepted.

at least this is the pattern I often see. I could be really wrong though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some adjustments to my portfolio and just submitted everything in. Thanks to everyone who responded to give feedback!

Now to play the ol waiting game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a totally last minute question:

I turned in my portfolio with 14 drawings and I just saw that transfers had to turn in at least 15 if studio credit was desired, however my admissions counselor said after acceptance more drawings can be sent in for consideration. Does anyone know if this is still the case even if my original portfolio only had 14 drawings.

I would email but I'm hopeful someone here would get to me sooner to put me at ease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stay__see - That seems to be kind of a specific situation for the submission process, so I'd say your best bet would be to ask admissions at this point (especially since this thread has been slowing down). Whenever I needed a quick answer for something like that, I gave admissions a phone call and they would always help me out right away

Sorry I can't be more of a help though, just wanted to post since it looks like you're needing a speedy response

Last edited by KyleDrawer11; January 11th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^This IS a pretty slow thread, but I did get what I needed from them thanks!
    I guess that's a plus with smaller schools they help you right away.I'm not used to it with the university I go to now O_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stay__see View Post
    ^This IS a pretty slow thread, but I did get what I needed from them thanks!
    I guess that's a plus with smaller schools they help you right away.I'm not used to it with the university I go to now O_o
    Once accepted, talking with counselors is definitely the way to go as well. Certain things like this can be cleared up with one simple visit.

BTW its not always worth it to transfer some courses... for me I didn't have to take perspective drawing in Freshman year because of a transfer credit from community college. While, yes, I saved money, in hindsight I missed a core part of my learning experience and I was definitely rusty when it came time to shine.

sketchwax.blogspot.com Updated December 2011

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4