Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls - Page 12

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, do you think they take this into much consideration? I know I'm putting most of my energy towards my portfolio, but I've just had these old bad grades on the mind. Did you have issues like it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hana_delirious- I think they would prefer a GPA of 3.0 or higher, but in your case I would hope they would view it across the board. All you can do is explain what happened and hope for the best. I had a bad GPA during my junior year of high school because of medical issues. I applied as a transfer this year so that didn't factor in but I mentioned it when I applied last year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you for all the information! i was wondering if I should just submit my high school transcript with a decent GPA instead along with credits from some KCAI classes I am doing over the summer. I'd sacrifice transferring credits. I cannot tell which would be better for acceptance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I got my financial aid package today. I won't be able to go to Ringling as well. At least I tried =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So... I'm on the waiting list...

Well, procrastination got the best of me. I applied to GAD, and I'm on the waiting list, and have been since about mid to late April (had some issues with sending my transcripts). I'm waiting with my fingers crossed for people to be unable to attend the GAD program.
    I was told that if I wanted to I could transfer into any other program (except of course CA), But i really only want to become a GAD.
    So please, if you cannot attend, don't hesitate to tell admissions. I'm not trying to be mean, or rude; I'd love to go to classes with any and all serious artists out there, but really if you need to for some reason or another open up some seats, I have a strong feeling us on the waiting lists will be most appreciative.

Supposedly the "drop out" is supposed to continue until mid-summer, so I won't know if I'm in or not until then. Talk about the wait being a killer.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I haven't kept up much with this thread... but if anyone has questions about the new first year program (it's pretty different from the old one from what I can tell), I'd be happy to answer. Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and best wishes for everyone still waiting (I know it can be super stressful).

themegagod, I don't know if this is any help, but, I do know a few students who were able to switch to the GAD program after being in the media arts section (CA, ILL, GAD) during the first semester. It seems like they were making this exception for GADs, but I don't think CA let anyone transfer. I think it's all up to space in either department... but, do know that if you're in the Media Arts section for Illustration you will have the same curriculum as the GADs for the first semester. I would talk to your advisor if you don't manage to make it off the waiting list, but be sure to ask your counselor where you are on that list (he/she should be able to tell you) and hopefully you'll make it in.

Oh yeah, guys and be ready to work your butts off this year... it's definitely a big jump. Keep drawing. Lots. More than you think you should be doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I can certainly be grouped into the "hopeful" category, but I have some questions.

I applied to the Illustration major last year (Rather late) and was accepted, but was unable to attend due to financial reasons.
    I've been attending a local community college in the mean time, and am wondering how to go about the transfer process.
    I assume I'll need to re-apply, but for transferring of credits and financial information, is it best to give Ringling a call? Stop by the school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thdark View Post
    I've been attending a local community college in the mean time, and am wondering how to go about the transfer process.
    Dude, I feel your pain. I went to a state uni for three years, got accepted into CA, and can't attend due to cost. I was a little pissed when I found out that Ringling charges for tuition using a flat rate - meaning that all students pay the same amount of money, pretty much regardless of how many credits they transfer. Even if some of your classes transfer - and I wouldn't expect many art classes to go through, mostly lib arts - it's still basically going to cost the same amount. Sorry buddy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thdark View Post
    I think I can certainly be grouped into the "hopeful" category, but I have some questions.

I applied to the Illustration major last year (Rather late) and was accepted, but was unable to attend due to financial reasons.
    I assume I'll need to re-apply, but for transferring of credits and financial information, is it best to give Ringling a call? Stop by the school?
    Give them a call. I've heard of them "holding" your acceptance until you can actually enroll, even if it's a couple years down the line. So basically once you're in, you're in. As far as transferring credits, you might be able to get out of liberal arts classes, art history and maybe some fundamental drawing classes but that's it. I had 3 years of college before Ringling and I was still admitted as a freshman (33 credits but all liberal arts stuff). So yeah, your mileage may vary. I would also talk to them about what credits will actually transfer. Might help you when deciding if you want to take a class at your community college.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sula_nebouxi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys- this thread hasn't been active in a while but I figured I might as well resurrect it.

I'm going into my freshman year as a CA major at Ringling this August! I went to PreCollege last summer so I'm pretty familiar with the campus and I'm rooming with another CA major whom I met there.

But I do have a couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering... first, there's a long supply list that we have to buy for our classes, and Ringling offers a package at a discounted price that contains most of the items. Is it worth buying it through the school? I remember someone telling me that its not necessary to buy everything on the list, how true is that, and if it is true, what should I buy and what should I skip? (baby powder is one of the listed supplies.... what is that for?) Also- and I feel kind of dumb for asking this- how do I know what to bring on the first day of classes and what do most people carry their supplies in?

the supply list says theres three books we have to purchase- how often are those really used?

Would you recommend having a bike?

and my last question is, apparently freshman year is a pretty easy year (compared to the other years at least), and the other three are hell. How many hours of work a day do you think is normal for those three years? I realize that the more effort you put into your work the longer it'll take but what is the average amount of time most kids spend on their assignments a day, or at least in your experience how much time did you spend working a day if you're an upperclassmen?

thank you to anyone who has any answers to these, and sorry this was so rambly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sileaux, and everyone else ...if you still visit this thread...

I'm currently a rising Junior CA major, will be one of the Area Coordinators for the 2012-2013 school year, and I finally remembered my password for this site!!! So that's why i havent been able to post here yet..

ANYWAYS-

Sileaux! I have no idea what your real name is (dont post it here if you dont feel comfortable), but I was one of the RA's during your precollege.

I don't really like telling people what they "should" do, so I'll just recount my experience- and let you decide what to do.

1) I never bought the supplies package from the school. I never kept track of how much i ended up spending on supplies, but i think it was in the $200-$300 range.

2) what to buy- My teachers gave me a list of what i needed (not all teachers do) and she required me to bring all of it on the first day, and everyday. A few of my teachers just gave us required materials (and texts) lists on the first day, and were responsible for having them by next class, or in a week's time.

3) No idea what the baby powder is for

4)Carrying supplies- I had a fishing tackle box and one of those big portfolio/ drawing slate bags first semester. By the end of the year, i was just throwing everything into a drawstring bag i got at orientation...

5)Books- I bought all the books my freshman year, but for sophomore year i used digital copies, or shared with friends. some of my teachers "required" each of us to have our own physical copy... but i still got the assignments done, so...

6)Bikes are awesome. You already know about the bike rack right outside goldstein. My freshman year i kept a $90 walmart bike at the rack- and the weather dismantled it faster than our "neighbors"... although they did take its seat... I built my second bike, and its mah baby, so i keep it in my room. If you care about yours just as much, i recommend doing the same (just dont ride it in goldstein. Sorry, i have to enforce that, its my job.)

7)Freshman workload- I cant really remember the hourly load of freshman work. Maybe 3-ish everyday?... i have no idea- it varied with assignments. The freshman workload is less than the other years in terms of bare minimums. The work you do sophomore year and up are not only lessons, but they have the potential to greatly affect how you come out of ringling. I did what was required of me in my freshman classes, but anything CA related was where i focused my extra effort. 2nd semester Sophomore year, i calculated that my average week was about 60 hours in the CA labs, and i still spent a good amount of time lollygagging :/ ...
    I'll say this- Freshman year is probably your best time to do things for "funsiecakes" -Matt Sullivan. Sophomore year and up i recommend looking at your assignments from a professional standpoint, and doing everything you can to advance yourself as an artist.

Sorry for the long reply, i'm trying to make up for my year of absence here.
    Hope it helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sileaux View Post
    Hi guys- this thread hasn't been active in a while but I figured I might as well resurrect it.

I'm going into my freshman year as a CA major at Ringling this August! I went to PreCollege last summer so I'm pretty familiar with the campus and I'm rooming with another CA major whom I met there.

But I do have a couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering... first, there's a long supply list that we have to buy for our classes, and Ringling offers a package at a discounted price that contains most of the items. Is it worth buying it through the school? I remember someone telling me that its not necessary to buy everything on the list, how true is that, and if it is true, what should I buy and what should I skip? (baby powder is one of the listed supplies.... what is that for?) Also- and I feel kind of dumb for asking this- how do I know what to bring on the first day of classes and what do most people carry their supplies in?

the supply list says theres three books we have to purchase- how often are those really used?

Would you recommend having a bike?

and my last question is, apparently freshman year is a pretty easy year (compared to the other years at least), and the other three are hell. How many hours of work a day do you think is normal for those three years? I realize that the more effort you put into your work the longer it'll take but what is the average amount of time most kids spend on their assignments a day, or at least in your experience how much time did you spend working a day if you're an upperclassmen?

thank you to anyone who has any answers to these, and sorry this was so rambly
    Hey Sileaux, I'll try not to just repeat everything Mike said (really awesome advice), but I can offer a few tips on top of everything he's mentioned (from an incoming sophomore's perspective).

As for the supply kit, the list was redesigned this last year so you will actually use everything on that list (except maybe the Art health/hazards book thing.) Personally, I found it easier to order online, but if you do go that route, make sure you read the brands carefully that are listed. Something like "Golden" brand acrylics will require only those type of acrylics. Which kinda leads me to another answer... the baby powder is used for helping thicken the acrylics. You will use it in your painting projects for 2D design. You will want to buy the Talc version. Also, things like the T-square that sound really useless now.... depending on which prof you have for drawing, you will be using it for every class. Mike gave really great advice as far as what else you will need. Try to stay away from plastic/metal portfolio carriers, as these will become very heavy--try to buy fabric ones instead. As for books, I'd wait until your teachers tell you what you'll need. Plus, you can rent them from the bookstore/library.

As for workload, I do think it became a little bit more difficult this year with the CORE redesign--but nothing you can't handle without basic time management. Even if you aren't the best at time management, you will learn very quickly. I would say that I came in without the best time managing skills (mainly due to perfectionism), but I figured it out quickly and had a much easier and less stressful second semester. I'm pretty sure most kids are working 30-40 hours per week freshman year, but honestly, freshman year has a lot of room for personal growth and that means you can scrape by and do the minimum or you can really push yourself and grow a lot in that year. Freshman year is really a lot of fun though and you have a lot of opportunity to figure things out (personally and artistically), so don't worry too much about it. Hahah, in other words, you will survive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff everybody! Hope to see you soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Thanks to both of you for answering my questions! Just for clarification- we are allowed to bring bikes into our rooms, correct? I don't remember ever seeing ones but are there bike racks outside of the other buildings like the Academic Center?

Speaking of our rooms- we got housing assignments today and I'm in Idelson. I'd say I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. Not excited about communal bathrooms... I'll get over it of course, but what is your opinion of that building if you know anything about it?

Last edited by Sileaux; August 1st, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sileaux View Post
    Thanks to both of you for answering my questions! Just for clarification- we are allowed to bring bikes into our rooms, correct? I don't remember ever seeing ones but are there bike racks outside of the other buildings like the Academic Center?

Speaking of our rooms- we got housing assignments today and I'm in Idelson. I'd say I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. Not excited about communal bathrooms... I'll get over it of course, but what is your opinion of that building if you know anything about it?
    Hey, yeah, I didn't have a bike but I think most of the bike racks are pretty well lit and secure (there are cameras to prevent theft), but I heard rumors of getting parts stolen off of them. I think taking it into your room is the best solution... And yeah, I'm pretty sure there are bike racks in front of the Academic center.

As far as housing... don't worry too much about living in Idleson, because usually spots will open up later in the semester if you're really desperate to move to Goldstein or somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know much about Idleson, but if you want to join the group on facebook (PM me and I will invite you), there are some upperclassmen that can probably tell you more than I can. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ringling CA students, I have a question for you if you'd be so kind as to answer. In this senior year of high school I'm taking a 2 hour free block for digital art class. Do you guys think I would be wiser to use it to brush up my digital painting skills, or learn basic maya and mudbox?

With digital painting I already have a decent base I'm starting off of, so it would be just trying to get to a really high level with it. I figured this would help me for painting texture maps for characters.

With the basic maya stuff I wouldn't have a teacher that actually knows the software, so it would be me trying to teach it to myself. Would this be suicide? I know ringling doesn't expect you to know the software upon entrance, but I've also heard that it can help a bit.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by art-of-tennis View Post
    Do you guys think I would be wiser to use it to brush up my digital painting skills, or learn basic maya and mudbox?
    Think of it this way, Maya is a tool you can use to create. Nothing compares to what you learn from drawing and studying the things around you.

Learning Maya is not a bad idea. But, having an extremely strong base in the drawing department, knowing form and having an understanding of movement, lighting, composition, color, will help you more in the end. The Ringling program is there to teach you how to use Maya, it's not going to really give you a chance to learn anything else. So learn those things now when you have the chance.

They are changing the curriculum some to include more of the drawing side and what comes with it, but you'll be spending a lot more time in Maya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Think of it this way, Maya is a tool you can use to create. Nothing compares to what you learn from drawing and studying the things around you.

Learning Maya is not a bad idea. But, having an extremely strong base in the drawing department, knowing form and having an understanding of movement, lighting, composition, color, will help you more in the end. The Ringling program is there to teach you how to use Maya, it's not going to really give you a chance to learn anything else. So learn those things now when you have the chance.

They are changing the curriculum some to include more of the drawing side and what comes with it, but you'll be spending a lot more time in Maya.

Thanks, I appreciate your info a lot. I actually am taking AP 2D studio arts in my school too, I forgot to say that. What I was more or less trying to ask was whether my time would be better spent learning to become a skilled digital painter to later aid in texture painting, or if it would be better spent getting a jump on those 3D programs. I'll be spending the vast majority of my time working on the traditional stuff for AP art, so whichever I choose would mostly be an in school endeavor.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats all you guys who got in.. I think I said that before, but it's nice reading about how it all goes, and I still happy for all of you! I'm trying again; I feel like it's a yearly ritual for me now; so I started up a 2013 thread.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...60#post3541460

so how goes it so far class of 2016? Is your first month all you thought it would be?

Last edited by themegagod; September 22nd, 2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: add link
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hulllooooooo, thar!

I have never posted on here, but have had an account for years. I'm just a creeper that spies on portfolios and reads comments.

I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year.

Uh...here's my portfolio! Tell me what you think prease!

:3 Thank you.

http://mangmang.deviantart.com/gallery/41767816

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hulllooooooo, thar!

I have never posted on here, but have had an account for years. I'm just a creeper that spies on portfolios and reads comments.

I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year.

Uh...here's my portfolio! Tell me what you think prease!

:3 Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullloooo guys....

I've never posted on here before, but have had an account for years! I'm just a creeper than spies on portfolios and reads comments.

Cough. I'm a CA hopeful for Ringling this year. Don't know why I'm so determined to go to Ringling...but I am!

Here's my portfolio. Would you mind critiquing it? Prease? Thank you. :3

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Members who have read this thread: 9