Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    @Brookiesaurus:
    I can't tell you what your chances are, I think that would depend on a combination of not only your portfolio, but also your GPA, how many people applied, how many available seats there are, how many people can afford to pay for the classes, and probably a host of other things, I haven't the slightest clue about.
    what I will say, right off of the bat, is you should have cropped off any pieces of the photo not belonging to your image (such as your pointillism self portrait has the table in the BG), and from what I understand, you want to steer clear of copy-righted characters, and images.
    and yes that second critique is coming from a guy who plans on submitting a painting with Cartman of Southpark's face plastered on it, but I think in your image of Edward, it looks much too much like a copy of a photo, where as with mine (my hope is at least) that the focal point is on the body, and I took enough creative liberties that that is not an issue.

I would say, where you could work, would be to delve deeper into the darkest darks and to also add in some highlights throughout, as you seem to be lacking some contrast in your images. I notice you said under some of your images it was your first time using some of the mediums, and I will give you some advice I was told when I went to a portfolio day last year. don't worry so much about experimenting and showing off that you can use different media, work in what you know, and show your best work. about figures, And I have the same problem as you, no classes; people have told me to just draw people. draw them in a coffee shop, draw a friend sitting, gesture people moving. look at other people's portfolios, and look at what Ringling has on their website as examples. not all of the images look 100% complete, especially the gestures but they show the human body and internal character.
    In fact, I was told at another time, if you can capture a clothed model and do it well, It shows just as much, if not sometimes more skill than a nude figure, as to capture the true texture of a material, to make a viewer feel the weight of the cloth, is a hard skill.

In terms of what you do/did well, I will say that your digital skills seem to be quite good. many of the pieces until reading the description I didn't realize were not traditional media. of all of the pieces that I would pick to be my favorite of the batch, I would choose either the pointillism self portrait, due to the simplicity yet fully rendered downward facing face, or the colored pencil still life, for being a full bodied and vivid image, with an interesting composition.

With all of that said,
    This is all IMO. I could be completely wrong in many places, as I am far from anyone's expert. If you can take what I said and put it to good use, I'm glad to help. If you feel I'm full of BS, thank you for at least reading this far.
    lol
    good luck!

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you. As I said, some of those I did not submit, because I was aware of copyright. Though it is not from a photo, but it is from a action figure I have at home. Just didn't want to chance it. And also, the ones I did submitted on the slidingroom site for Ringling, I did crop the images that needed it. =]
    As for the different medias, there were actually classroom assignments, so I had no choice in that matter. But after that class, I had learned new mediums that I really enjoy. I have had only one college art class unfortunately.
    I did apply for Ringling 3 days before the deadline. When I applied, I had no clue there was a deadline. So I looked through all my art, and grabbed what I thought were my best pieces. So unfortunately I wasn't able to through my art, fix pieces, or add any new material.
    I thank you for your opinion. Deep shadows are something I do need to work on. But over time, I have been getting better at it. In the future I will attempt to work on these areas. Thank you. =]

Thanks
    I replied but it never posted?...
    Well... I had said a few thing as a response.
    Once would be, for the images that needed cropped, I did that before submission. Copyright images I did not submit because I wasn't sure about the rules for it, so just to be safe. Even though it was from a action figure I have at home. ^^;
    Yes, I agree, I could go farther with my lights and darks. I have gotten better with it. I'm getting there haha. =]
    Also, I never thought of that for gestures. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.
    As for the doing different mediums, none of it was my choice. They were class projects. Otherwise I probably would have never done them. But most of them turned out nice so I decided to submit it.
    Thank you! For the pointillism image. My teacher really loved it as well. It's one of my favorites.
    As a note, I did apply for the college 3 days before the deadline(I did not know there was a deadline). So I wasn't able to make anything new for it, or fix anything.
    So I thank you for your opinions and criticisms! =D I will take note of them, and try to implement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brookiesaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey again guys

To help kill time and keep those pencils moving while waiting to hear back from Ringling, I've been hosting midnight drawing sessions over Skype with some animation friends from Columbia College Chicago. We play a character design game where we have a 1-hour time limit to design a character based off of a pre-chosen archetype and its traits. Afterwards, people e-mail me their designs and I post them on a blog, which I linked below. You can see some of our stuff from the last session here

http://midnightdrawingchallenge.blogspot.com/

If anyone is interested, you are more than welcome to join! We're doing it this upcoming Saturday, Feb 11th at 11:30pm (Central Standard Time). Feel free to add my Skype sn, which is kylecmeclopez

Thanks
    Helloo

To help kill time and keep those pencils moving while waiting to hear back from Ringing, I've been hosting Skype drawing sessions/character design games with some animation friends from Columbia College Chicago. It'd be cool to meet and draw with some of my fellow hopefuls on this thread - I'd post more info but I guess concept art has a strict filter, so anyone who wants to join can message me

Thanks
    Hey everyone! I'm new here but I feel like I should post. A week ago I got accepted into GAD which I was overjoyed about! I applied as a transfer but they placed me in as a freshman. I tried last year but I didn't get in, so I'm proud of myself that I was able to do it this year.

A few questions that I do have though is scholarships and grants I could receive. I have a 3.7 at the moment but how the semester is going it'll lower a bit. I really need anything that could possibly work cause I literally can't leave college with debt or very little due to medication costs. It'll most likely that I would have to pay out of pocket for this medication once my second insurance drops when I'm 21. Luckily my parents can pay 20,000 a year and of course I'm going to do a work study and have a summer job if I go. So are there any scholarships or grants that you guys know of? Or any websites that you've used? I've looked around but I'm pretty bad at finding them and only found a few that apply to me.

Also here is the portfolio I submitted for anyone who is interested: http://theaugurwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/35251744

Thanks
    Hmmm I guess my post didn't get posted?... Anyways

Hey everyone! I just signed up here just to talk on this forum. I got accepted into GAD last week. I was overjoyed especially that I tried last year but I didn't get accepted. I applied as a transfer but I would go in as a freshman.

For those who are curious here is the portfolio that I submitted: http://theaugurwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/35251744

I do have few questions which is about scholarships, grants, and trying to make it work. Unfortunately it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to go because of finances. My parents can pay a good portion a year but due to medical costs that I'll most likely have in the future, I literally can't have debt or at least very little. So I was wondering if you guys know any sites or scholarships/grants, etc.? I've found a few but I'm finding it difficult to find ones that apply to me. Thanks! I really hope I can figure out a way to make it work because this is my dream school and it kind of sucks if I can't go only because of a medication. Also, another question is how much does work study give you towards expenses? Thanks again!

Also congrats and good luck to everyone else! =)

Thanks
    Wolf - unfortunately, Ringling just doesn't have a lot to offer its students in the way of scholarships. I called them a few weeks ago and was told that I could maybe, maybe get a couple thousand due to my GPA, but that is about it. Have you thought about attending a community college to get some basics out of the way first? (This is the route I'm going)

In the meantime, look in your community or state and see if you can get scholarships that will transfer to out of the area. Although my state doesn't allow scholarship funds to go to outside colleges (Arkansas is trying to fight major brain drain), you could always try. Many have suggested FastWeb in the past but I found that to be ultimately a useless endeavor. Here is a list of the scholarships that the Sarasota/Ringling community has: http://www.ringling.edu/index.php?id=459 I can't vouch for the effectiveness of getting them, but they are on the school's website so they must be at least a little useful.

Thanks
    bodied- Thanks for the response. Yeah I pretty much expected them to not give out a good amount of scholarships. So I've been looking else where.

I'm actually in community college at the moment, though it doesn't seem like any of my credits with transfer. Even though I've taken 3 drawing classes. An art history. Two English comp (though the one was below the starting class, if that makes sense.) and other studio classes. I mostly used community college to improve my portfolio because I didn't have a good high school art teacher.

Thanks
    None of your credits will transfer? If you are taking some basic classes and liberal arts courses, I don't see why they wouldn't give you a few hours, at least.

Thanks
    I have created a group on deviantart for those who have been accepted to graduate in 2016 to get to know each other and stuff.

http://ringling-2016.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Didn't show up

I made a group on deviantart for those who will be attending ringling in the fall. The main purpose is to get to know each other and hear what people are doing for their major.

http://ringling-2016.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Zaqschlanger - Thanks! Still waiting to hear back from Ringling but I def will keep an eye on the group :]

I've been doing something kind of similar on Skype, just drawing with some freshman CA students from Ringling and some students from Columbia College. We've been doing 1-hour character design games and post all our stuff on a blog. Maybe this could be a way for us to know each other from this forum and draw...?

http://midnightdrawingchallenge.blogspot.com/

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6