Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls

It is that time again where a new hopefuls for the coming years seem to be needing a home.

I will update and expand this first initial post with more informational content for new students, but until then.

It is a new year fresh for the taking! Where are you hopefuls 2012?!

Previous 2011 thread : http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...gling+hopefuls

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    New member myself, new to art, interest lies in illustration but not throwing everything else in the fire without giving it a once over. So Illustration 2012 hopeful here I'll say. Again, will be updating with more helpful content in the next day or so but I have to sleep! I get up in 3 hours for another round of school. Yawn

Thanks
    Hey guys, I'm a freshman in CA (and also posted rarely on hopefuls '11). I was actually wondering when this thread would get rolling, and here it is finally

Let me just say that the freshman (CORE) re-design is awesome. Since most posters are probably in the Media Arts major (CA, IL, GAD) I'll talk a little about that since I didn't know quite what it would be like before I got here.

Drawing I--This is a class focusing on perspective (1pt, 2pt, 3pt). You will be doing very technical drawing w/T-squares, rulers, compasses, etc.

2D Design--Focus on basic design principles (composition, balance etc.) Having some painting experience and basic photoshop is a plus. In fact, knowing the basic photoshop tools (and some computer skill) is pretty important.

Figure Drawing--Figure drawing is basically what it says... have good drawing skills & try to take some figure drawing before you get here.

Writing for Media Arts--Creative writing, some reasearch-paper type work. Easy-cheesy although it can be tough for second-language speakers.

Film & Narrative-- A class where you get to watch movies, whoo! Most people complain about this class but I've learned a lot of camera techniques and watched some pretty classic films so far (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc.)

Expect to meet some of the most amazing people here... I've just been blown away by the amount of talent that comes out of this place. There's always creative energy and it's art 24/7 here. It's a lot of work, but, it's definitely been an incredible experience so far.

Thanks
    Hello everyone Im currently a CA Sophomore. Ill try to frequent this thread and answer questions.

Thanks
    I was wondering if there were some examples of different types of portfolios. For example a Great portfolio example, an average portfolio example, an awesome portfolio example, and a bad one. (Awesome would get more scholarships etc)

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    I was going to be a hopeful, but my parents say Florida is too far, especially since the upper east coast has plenty of art schools already. I don't really mind, but the promotional USB they sent me is not working at all and it's ticking me off xD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deerinheadlights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fellow hopeful here who was wondering when this thread was going to get started. Thanks for starting it!

I would also be interested in seeing some examples of portfolios.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    I was wondering if there were some examples of different types of portfolios. For example a Great portfolio example, an average portfolio example, an awesome portfolio example, and a bad one. (Awesome would get more scholarships etc)
    Hey Wingal, here are a bunch good portfolios that were accepted to different schools.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ted+portfolios

Thanks
    Hi all. Hopeful Sophmore transfer here for illustration. Have Art Center and CalArts within an hour of my house but Ringling seems better suited to me (doesn't hurt the fact that my ultimate dream job is artist for disney and they Recruit from Ringling a lot.)Nice to meet you all

also: there was a link in the Ringling catalog I got that went to a portflio site they set up. Here it is:
    http://portfolio-prep.com/

Thanks

Cool

Hey everybody,

Glad to say that this year I'm a hopeful. Last year I did however keep tabs on the other thread and got a bunch of good info . Ringling is my first choice , duh but yea I've also applied to cal arts and scad. Hopefully it all works out and good luck everyone :p

Cheers

Thanks
    I've chickened out or messed something up trying to apply to this school for the past 4 years. Feeling pretty good about 2012...I guess lol.

I'm trying to raise my pathetic gpa up from the 2.5 it was at to a 2.8/3.0. So far so good.

I'm also going to be making a brand new portfolio, as my past attempts were terrible. Hope for the best for everyone!

Applying for CA.

Thanks
    Hey everybody! I'm a hopeful again. I chickened out last year, but I know that if I don't try I'll never know, so here goes another shot. wish me luck.

Yeah DanialGlover, I too know your pain, i've been trying to get the nerve and the skill for two- three years now myself. How about we make this year our year? I'd have to find out, but i think i managed to pull my GPA to around a 3. something. I hope. Not to mention I finally found a local place that offers some kind of figure drawing classes, or rather 'meetings' which should add a bit more confidence for me in my portfolio.

anyway, hope to meet you all soon, when we are taking some truly life altering classes up in ringling. lol.

BTW, I'm a GAD hopeful. anybody know the statistics for GADs right now? I think there has been a graduating class already; some thesis work was on the promotional USB. so what was the graduating classes success rates in the field: it being a new program and all, are people getting hired? What news is there about how the program will be in the next few years to come, since I understand it is still ever evolving?

any info is greatly appreciated.

time to start updating the 'sketchbook' again.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    themegagod, according to Jim McCampbell during our department talks at the beginning of the year, GAD actually had a slightly greater hire rate (maybe 15% more) than CA in 2010-11, which I believe was a first. I don't want to misquote these numbers though... overall, from what I've seen here, it's mainly the extreme hard work (in and out of class), a bit of talent and love for your own certain skillset & personal strengths that will land you the job. I wish I could say more about the GAD dept. specifically, but I don't know too much about the program. Definitely hit up a figure drawing class if you can and draw from life as much as you can before you get here, it will really help.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6