Recommendations for a new PC?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recommendations for a new PC?

Hey, ConceptArt! I could really use some help with buying a new PC. Art-related, of course.

Long story short, my current computer is extremely old and nearly incapable of executing any of my tasks. I need a computer to handle high resolution digital painting, video editing and eventually, an animation or 3D modeling program for me to get my feet wet before I reapply at school.

The art programs I prefer are Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop (Elements and 7), though I would love to try Painter.

I've only about $900 to drop and with a measly part-time job, it's really hard to keep saving up. Can any of you hand me some specs or links for a computer that'd suit me within my price range? I've looked mostly at Dell (Boxxit is way out of my league, sigh), but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This seems like a decent deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147971

6 - core, 8GBs of RAM, big harddrive AND you can max out any game you throw at it (good graphics card). If you are not into gaming you can get something with more basic graphics card. RAM is dirt cheap nowadays so dont look at anything under 8GBs.

Computers aren't as expensive as they used to be, so $900 will get you a really good computer.

My advice would be to get some techy guy (if you know one) build it for you, so you don't pay for things you don't need. It will also look better (since you get to pick the case), have better cooling, be quieter and have better life expectancy due to higher quality components. If you get a friend who knows what he's doing that is. $900 will get you a really powerful, really high quality custom build. High quality case & PSU, powerful components, even a basic SSD drive will fit in. Not a complete high end, but high end is 10% better for 100% more money anyway.

Good luck picking a good PC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know when and what kind of performance the AMD Bulldozer CPUs will have so I'll suggest Intel, specially because they have a considerable better performance in single-thread.

Custom built it and ask the shop to put it for you if don't know how to do it yourself.

2500k should come in handy for video editing if you use Quick Sync
    z68 motherboard
    8GB RAM
    550w PSU, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair... make sure it's a good brand.
    Some 5xx GTX card, check what suits your needs. Or a HD6850/HD6790 if you prefer AMD.

If you still have enough money buy a good IPS monitor.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.