Sketchbook: NatSmall's sketchbook or something (nudity) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NatSmall's sketchbook or something (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, nice sketchbook in here, i like your colors and the dynamism from your paintings,
    the pencils study are nice too, keep on sharing!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm really liking the characters. great poses, great gestures, really great stuff. As for crits here's a couple things that I noticed, you tend to turn you lips into thing dark triangles, which most of the time works but in a few cases it looks quite strange. Same thing goes for turning noses into upturned ovals, though you're recently started to vary the shapes and fix that. So I guess some studies of the shape and structure of lips and noses would be good to do. I think some more painted digital studies would be helpful too.

I think you'll be a great animator, keep up the good work!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PauloPhillipe : Thanks! I shall

@JesseM : You have no idea how right you are, an that's exactly what I'm working on in my latest paintings! I sometimes forget that lighting is a very important part of composition. Thanks for the input!

@lemming-clone- : Thanks, I've been drawing more of them lately! And yes, colors and lighting, everyone seems to be poking at those two things so I will definitely be working on that! thanks for the input!

@bouroune : Thanks!

@Vertical : Haha nice observation! That triangle lip is especially annoying when I try to paint it, don't really know what to do! As a former anime artist I still find it difficult to draw a nose that isn't a dot haha. Aww thanks that means a lot, I appreciate the input!

Alright, been lazy on posting so here's a bunch of recent stuff!
    Here we have two characters, just drew them for fun. I'll def be painting the girl on the right with the axe!

I decided to really try my hand at character design, these character are based on shapes, I guess? This style is still really new to me!

Here we have some anatomy studies and some gesture drawings

More gesture drawings

Started reading Micheal Hampton's "Figure drawing (design and invention)" and wow its really been helpful! Loving it so far. Here are some studies from that book!

And more

And some attempts at figure/gesture drawings all from imagination

And some loose gesture drawings, based on poses/drawings from Hampton's book, some are from imagination though (the bad ones)

More to come very soon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wonderful sketchbook, i love your style so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aai aii nice work here, great to see those gestures! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rumpenstiltzkin : Thanks! Appreciate the comment

@Tom : I really need to draw more of those!

I've been waiting to update my blog and such because I didn't think I had enough to post, turns out I have TOO much. I've been discouraged about my art lately, but things are turning around these past few days! Gotta draw more!

I'll start off with some gestures and figure studies!

I've been trying hard to design more characters lately, a lot of the sketches/designs I don't really like but I feel i should share anyways!

I thoght it would be kind of interesting to design characters based on letters, so I took the word "witch" and for each letter designed a witch character. I'd like to continue working on these gals and I may even paint a large lineup someday..... we'll see! I feel like I need to make them look more like the letters though!

Here's a character I started designing for my animation school portfolio, not very happy with these but its a start!

For some reason I really enjoy making designs for a bunch of characters who share the same profession/similar background. So here's a bunch of priests! Stil bleh with this style!

And two ladies based on cats!

Some random doodles of an older character

And finally some WIPs! First one is of a sketch I really liked, character's name is Jackie! I'm actually really happy with how its looking, this is the perfect time for some crit though!

Lastly a WIP of a self portrait I have to make for my animation school portfolio! Still very rough

AND THAT'S IT!
    I pan on posting a lot more from now on, I'd like to maintain MINIMUM weekly updates!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a nice sketchbook! You're gestures really seem to be coming along nicely. Been studying some from Hamptons book as well, its really nice. The self portrait from the latest post is looking great so far, gonna be nice seeing how it turns out. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice character designs! The letter thing is a really cool idea. I want to draw some cartoons now..
    good luck with your portfolio! I think in your sp the back of your nostril is looking a little flat and I can't tell exactly what's going on above it, it look sort of like you have a nose ring or something. I can't come up with much for Jackie, I feel like with such a wide smile her cheeks would start to squish her eyes and we should be seing less of her far shoulder, but I could be wrong. I'm really glad you'll be updating more!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice update! love the idea of the witch characters!
    also jackie is very nicely done, altho i feel i rather see more hips than shoulders, or at least they be as wide, now she feels a bit unproportioned.
    but great stuff, so much fun to look at your characters!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Blunderguffer : Tanks! I'm really working on hard on improving my gesture drawing, it is a crucial part of animation after all! I haven't done a realistic self portrait in years, oddly enough I'm noticing features on my face I never knew I had haha. Thanks for the input!

@Vertical : Thanks so much! Its weird but I almost feel a little self conscious about my character designs haha, I'm still a newbie in this style! Ahaha, I DO have a nose ring! I'll need to render it better for it to be more recognizable. As for Jackie I'll try and modify her eyes a bit, good point! Thanks for the input!

@rumpenstiltzkin : Haha thanks! They're a hoot to draw. Jackie's proportions I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out, I want her to be kind of athletic with kind of broad/wide shoulders (from all the lumber jacking she does! Or whatever you call that) I'll def keep working on it! Thanks for the input!

Alright so I made the decision to try and update my blog every other day. That doesn't mean I'll be updating here every other day because I always upload everything on my blog first, but it does mean there will be many arts to come!

Here are some Hamton studies, I am really learning a lot from his book!

I'm starting to time myself when I paint, I guess its just interesting to know how long it takes me to make a simple piece. This took me about an hour from a white canvas, not overly fond of it but its a start! I feel comfortable painting but I still feel awkward with this style. I cant makeup characters on the spot very well, unless they look kind of realistic. Oh well, another thing to add on my list of things I need to improve!

So I downloaded a square brush that I've fallen in love with, will definitely be using it a lot more! So here's an hour study, will be doing many more of these!

And finally a WIP. Her hands and feet are supposed to be big, but I dunno if it just looks weird? Still very rough, although I look forward to painting it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Great sketchbook! So much life and fluidity in your sketches. I especially like your character designs. Great use of shapes and fun all around. Your paintings are really neat as well. I love how you painted the hair on your self portrait and the red headed girl. Makes me want to try harder at painting.

Keep it up and good luck with the animation portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the red head. She's really cute.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cute stuff! I think you overuse the red noses, though. All right for the occasional kid or sailor, kinda clownlike when abused.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work Nat! I like that you're studying in different directions (studies, cartooning, painting), keep it up! I especially like the sketches of the feral princess, she's got a lot of personality, haha.

Crit wise real quick, I agree with above that your nose ring doesn't look like a nose ring in your self-portrait, so just be sure to make it pop out so it doesn't just look like a mistake. Another thing that bothered me was Jackie's face your WIP, even though it's stylized I think her face has too much perspective going on, so it looks flat. I tackled it with the liquify tool on the right to show you what I mean:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aresa : Thanks so much! Painting and drawing hair has always been something I really enjoy!

@Illeander : Thanks!

@vineris : Tooootally guilty of the red nose thing! I shall watch out for that haha!

@Mariea : Thanks for the crit Gab! I didn't really work much on the nose ring yet anyways haha, but I'm gonna stop making excuses! Honestly Jackie's face doesn't particularly bother me the way it is now, but I do see your point! I'll try shading the face a little better to give it more form or something!

Quick update before bed! Work in the AM eeuuugghhh so wish I didn't have to work ever lololol

Ink drawings, I would really like to get good at this! Thay're kind of just crap but bleh I'll keep practicing.

Quick figure studies

A quick face study, about an hour

A wip, probably only worked on it for like 20-30 minutes, dunno if I'll ever finish it!

And a wip I would like to finish someday!

More soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great stuff! Keep it up! Not much to crit, I love the gesture studies and so on. Still, would like to see more (masculine) extremer characters. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketchbook. Some very nice gestural strokes and character poses. The self-portrait looks great, be good to see it complete. Post more.

~Slayer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/ Sounds fishy, but you know this site? Works really well for gestures. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey broooo! Loving those ink drawings, they have so much movement in them! Also those painting studies are looking great. C:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tom : Ahahaaa still not much to show for masculine stuff but I'll try for my next update for sure! And yes ahahaha I use lovecastle all the time! That and Pixelovely~

@thegrayslayer : Thanks! Gestures and such have never really been one of my skills so I'm glad you like!

@Jan : Hey maaaan! Thanks, can't wait till you have some free time and you can start a sketchbook yourself!

Okay so I have a big backlog of art from my blog to post!

Here we goooo~

Some female figure studies

Tried my hand at drawing a man without a reference!

30 second poses

more 30 second poses

And I finished painting Jackie! Still looks rough but I have so much stuff to work on I don't have time to polish it some more! (laziness is a factor as well)

A wip of a fist study that I don't really like

A wip of a male figure that i don't really like

more figure drawiiiings

And now im too lazy to type shit between every image so lets gooo!

And that's it. I'm going to try and upload the stuff from my blog more frequently as to avoid these huge dumps!

Cheers!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks greaaat, loving the self portrait. it looks like youre going to be even better once you get into animation school! good luck

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kimozabbi : Thanks!

Alright so I dont have much to show for yet but I will soon!

Here are some colored pencil 30 second poses

30 second poses in ink

Some 15 second poses in ink

Popped the incredibles into my laptop, paused and copied the characters, love the style! So I'm going to keep studying it.

And more

and some wips! I have too many of those OTL

The lighting in this one is just fail, I thought it would be simple but I guess I'm rusty!

And an updated wip of this one

Pretty lame update, I know, all I've got to show for is copied shit! But I'm hanging out with one of my girls tonight and will most likely be drawing forever, SO more soon!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here' stuff I drew this weekend!

30 second drawings in ink

30 second drawings in thick highlighter

15 second drawings in highlighter

30 second drawings in highlighter

Drew a page of one of my characters

A wip of a study

Shiiiit I forgot to resize the images, I'm in a rush for work so I'll resize them later today!
    More soon!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant!, loving the Disney feel of your cartoon sketches, that axe wielder is epic!
    how about more landscapes? PLEASE!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    killing stuff here ! those 3 birds I loved it

you have a great eye to use shapes and to capture emotion xD

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AdrianNagorski : Thanks! I've always loved Disney style so I finally took it upon my self to adopt a similar cartoony style! And actually I JUST finished a landscape today! I'll post it probably tomorrow : D

@Fernteixeira : Thanks man! I'll definitely be reworking the birds!

I'M BACK.
    I had a very wacky christmas, filled with emotions and stress and girly shit like that BUT HEY I'M OVER IT SO BACK TO DRAWING.

Didn't do very many studies, mostly just sketches and one finished painting!

Some derp faces for you guys

Random poses, I am so uncreative when it comes to coming up with poses sjdfbqouwfdbnoiscnowincd gotta draw more!

Some character sketches for a new story I'm working on, I want to adapt the poem "Evangeline"! Here's some ideas for Evangeline's look

More sketches for Evangeline

These are by far my favorite sketches of her!

And finally a painting! This is a remake of a piece I made 10 months ago. You can see the old one here ---> http://nezma.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d3auseq

I've actually got more paintings and sketches done but I'm going to wait till tomorrow to post them!

xiola is offline The Time Travel Heroine Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work astounds me. You have so much character and life in your drawings. I love your gestures especially. Even if some aren't as successful as others, the overall work gone into them is what counts and is pushing you forward. I would be shocked if you were not accepted into that animation program.

Please come take a look at my sketchbook!! Figure drawings, still lives and oil painting studies! Constructive criticism always welcome! New content added:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just love the sense of warmth to your colours - both in the latest image, and in most of your previous ones. Your style's so lively to begin with, and it really adds to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah great work! Keep it up! Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchwork #57 and I love the orange portrait. Impressive stuff, keep posting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1