Man-Jackal monster WIP

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Man-Jackal monster WIP

While Waiting for money to buy a new Tablet (Old ones bust) I restarted this new project...

Its an old bunch of Ideas. The Monster is a white furred ManJackal I read about Named Ryllandaras.

I started with Ideas for a man and Jackal. looked at a few refs and came up with these:

Name:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  scan0010.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  scan0011.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  72.2 KB

I eventually decided I liked the idea of the Jackal rushing forward...

Attachment 1330113

the moons a green broke up mess. The orange patches are for fire. its
    making my life hell right now. I don't know Which Shadows I'm meant to pick up. Thats as far as I got. Just a huge mess of ideas

Oh and that ball thing in the ladies hand is an alchemy grenade, not a pumpkin.

Edit:

Name:  RELL FACES RYL 3-4 Ss.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  192.5 KB
    Name:  RELL FACES RYL 3-6Ss.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  162.1 KB

Last edited by dolmen; June 5th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Deviantart: "finished" work

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay you definitely need to start doing thumbnails for the overall composition of the piece. Draw up a couple of small frames to represent your canvas and try various different placements for the different characters until you find one that complements the dynamics and interaction of them.

Also, use references for that background. I don't know what it is, but there's definitely far too much saturation all over the piece and value wise it's a complete chaos (convert it to greyscale and notice how none of the elements seem to be affected by the same light sources).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got ya! I'm happy running back to thumbnails. gonna try some Monochrome alterations tonight!

Thanks Lhune

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here are the thumbnails I managed using Muro...I tried different settings and am currently reworking an old model of the city setting in Sketchup. Presently i'm partial to the first and second one. though I like the third ones dynamism. Number four felt like a scene from War of the Worlds. not sure thats a good thing...

Name:  RYll Rampage.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  157.0 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello man,

I think if you want not to have your monster confused with a werewolf, you should make it more weak, once the structure of a jackal is not too different from a wolf, but the wolf is broader and usually more strong than a jackal... usually, a jackal is more uniform in colour, usually golden tones, is not like a wolf, that you can have it brown, black, grey, white, etc....

I think the jackal would be hidden waiting for the best moment to attack and kill the prey instead of attacking it directly, unless in a pack

In my case, I would do the jackal man in golden-coloured fur with some black areas at its backs, smaller, with a style of a person more observant and opportunistic

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly the changing of format of the picture wasn't the best idea, in my opinion. I like the general feel of the first one more than any of the ones you posted afterward.

Your new compositions are less clear and obvious, I'm getting the sense of a big battle scene in which a jackal guy happens to be taking part, not a battle against the jackal guy. The first one's narrower format puts on the viewers' "blinders" and points you right to the big baddie in a way that tells us he's coming right at us. In comparison with the later posted thumbs it also has less negative space, which makes the scene more action packed, in my opinion.

I'd do more thumbs that stick with that first (vertical) format. Right now you could also be said to be going a little detailed with your thumbs (though I know they're not that detailed at all). I usually find it helpful for these kinds of images to do silhouettes of figures that you can use and mix and match, play with the arrangements. To me that helps to separate the "drawing cool pictures" part from the "designing a strong composition" part. I know thumbails are quick and sketchy, but the cleaner you can actually make them the better they'll read and the easier they'll be to work with.

This is all my opinion, good luck with your image- I'll try to stop by to harass you more later .

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pauloricardo View Post
    Hello man,

I think if you want not to have your monster confused with a werewolf, you should make it more weak, once the structure of a jackal is not too different from a wolf, but the wolf is broader and usually more strong than a jackal... usually, a jackal is more uniform in colour, usually golden tones, is not like a wolf, that you can have it brown, black, grey, white, etc....

I think the jackal would be hidden waiting for the best moment to attack and kill the prey instead of attacking it directly, unless in a pack

In my case, I would do the jackal man in golden-coloured fur with some black areas at its backs, smaller, with a style of a person more observant and opportunistic
    Honestly I have found that to be the hardest part of this characters conception. I'm a fan of werewolf monsters. I've seen tons of refs in that regard. Googling Jackal-men is tough. the closest thing I found to what I picture in my head is Anubis and I've tried to referenced his form quite a bit.

That said you're quite right, Jackals are skinnier, more cunning and sleek. I'll try take that into account! I'll have to keep it white but will try reference Jackal colour patterns as you suggest to make clear the Jackal is not a wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    Honestly the changing of format of the picture wasn't the best idea, in my opinion. I like the general feel of the first one more than any of the ones you posted afterward.

Your new compositions are less clear and obvious, I'm getting the sense of a big battle scene in which a jackal guy happens to be taking part, not a battle against the jackal guy. The first one's narrower format puts on the viewers' "blinders" and points you right to the big baddie in a way that tells us he's coming right at us. In comparison with the later posted thumbs it also has less negative space, which makes the scene more action packed, in my opinion.

I'd do more thumbs that stick with that first (vertical) format. Right now you could also be said to be going a little detailed with your thumbs (though I know they're not that detailed at all). I usually find it helpful for these kinds of images to do silhouettes of figures that you can use and mix and match, play with the arrangements. To me that helps to separate the "drawing cool pictures" part from the "designing a strong composition" part. I know thumbails are quick and sketchy, but the cleaner you can actually make them the better they'll read and the easier they'll be to work with.

This is all my opinion, good luck with your image- I'll try to stop by to harass you more later .
    I hear you, and thanks for pointing that out. I learnt from the thumbnail process though. I'll try the old format again. Still bustling through compositions so I'll try keep your advice in mind and maintain a tighter focus of activity. Will simplify and play around with the forms tonight.

Cheers!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dolmen View Post
    Honestly I have found that to be the hardest part of this characters conception.
    No doubts about that, wolfs and jackals have almost the same shape... because of it I got interested in the development of your character, to see your solution for this problem, once the werewolf is a familiar character to anyone, but the mix of a man with a jackal is not... I think that just Thundercats animation has this animal, but in this case, the choosen name for the character helps a lot...

But I am curious about something... I try to find out in Google why you decided to make this character, and I just found out a book about it, but it uses the same concept as a were-something... a mix of man and animal (as in "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit")... thus, why have you decided to make a Jackal-man ?

Best regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, Its a character in a Book I really enjoy. The Monsters described have never been Illustrated so I thought I'd take up the challenge. Like you said a Jackal Man is rarely ever realized correctly.

In the book The description of the creature is quite loose but certain things spark the imagination: White fur with Jackal like markings, Needle like Fangs and a thin snarling muzzle, Three man heights tall with clawed hands and haunched legs. Hairy, and recently freed from a loooooong imprisonment. the full details are here:

http://encyclopediamalazica.pbworks....70/Ryllandaras

I hope this helps you understand what I'm trying to work out here and thanks for asking!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well... it's really a good challenge and you are sure, the Egyptian god Anubis is the best reference you have to develop your character, but is easier to refer to it adding some ornaments in Egyptian-style for the character, but I think it is not your case...

I could develop this character as I said you, not too strong as your painting... but I could make it more tall, long pointed ears and a long thin snout and using the same colours as the real jackal...

anyway... I would like to see how you resolve it in future paintings...

best regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had forgotten about this till recently. Now its all I can think about.

Name:  RELL FACES RYL 2 S.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  165.9 KB

I've relooked my approach. Tried to zoom into a sense of force, danger and tension. I'm still not sure the jackal in man-Jackal is as discernable as it should be. the fore arm feels heavy. I want to provide a mist and some decent lighting while maintaining a night time at war vibe, maybe with fires and dead bodies in the background?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, sorry for bringing that up again, but when I read "Man-Jacka"l the first thing that comes to my mind is a really skinny creature with long arms and claws(something like Prof. Lupin from Harry Potter) and I agree with the previous commenters who say that your beast is too massive and beefy to be a "jackal".
    As for the picture on its own, I really admire angles you are able to pull off, as I'm having big problems with that. In the last one the beast's right arm is off, and seems like it's not even attached to the body. And the left arm is too huge. Perspective-wise both shoulders are almost on the same plane. Then why is one so much bigger than the other? I would also make the soldier darker than he curently is.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowgoyless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks SnowGoyless. I struggle to lean him up. Its tricky considering his hand span is almost as big as the warrior.

Name:  RELL FACES RYL 3-4 Ss.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  192.5 KB

I think I might have fixed issues with the right arm but now both are quite massive. I've added more character to the BG and worked on the creatures face, trying to squeeze it in is tricky because you get either a too sharp or too flat result.

The warrior came to me surprisingly easy. might need to add some scabbards but I'm happy with the footwork and armour.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I'm not really sold on the action. The jackal doesn't quite look like he's pouncing with both claws, as they're each being swung in an uncoordinated way, but it also doesn't quite look like he's focusing on a single swipe because his claw isn't centered along the path of his momentum (Not sure that's worded clearly. Throw a punch and maybe you'll see I'm saying). Likewise, the samurai doesn't seem to be holding his swords in a very sensible way. If his reflexes are that quick, he should be readying a defense or counter attack. Think of how he might defend the oncoming blow with his wakashi while readying a strike with the katana. Besides that, it looks like the ground is shattering a second before the claw slams into it.

Maybe find some video reference of big cats pouncing, duals between Japanese swordsmen (to see how they dodge and respond to attacks), and marble being shattered. I did a paintover just to give you an idea, but there are plenty of other solutions.
    Man-Jackal monster WIP

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grunler: I had a look at the image and tried to make reparations to some of the things addressed. I splashed on an orange cross glow to better define forms. I had a look at sword fights with katanas and Wakazashis. A high gaurd is considered the best defensive stance. Not sure how effective that could be in the air but stance wise i think its more along the lines of your advice.

I had major problems with the stance of the creature you suggest. I understand your argument regarding big cats pouncing but I think exception should be made to a half-man half-animal which has bi-lateral shoulder movement allowing more comprehensive arcs when swiping at prey.

Name:  RELL FACES RYL 3-6Ss.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  162.1 KB

I'm not happy with how I adapted the Left arm to your advice but I managed to make it smaller and attempted to give it more impression of impact. I hope I'm on the right track here. struggling with my background. I wish there was a better way to determine where focus in colour and shape fades away.

EDIT: Hah again I forget the wariors shadow. with the cross light I have no clue where It would be (moon I assumed in working is top right)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress

Name:  RELL FACES RYL 3-11 S.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  109.1 KB

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.