Sketchbook: Mellori's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mellori's Sketchbook

Hey guys and gals!
    I've been lurking here for years on end and I've finally decided to woman-up and post my sketchbook.
    I've been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember, and for the past few years I've thought deeply about a career in concept art. Now that I'm more educated, I would rather continue to concentrate on increasing my skills, and enjoy my art, instead of jumping head first into the business of concept art.

Unfortunately, my life is a little bit in shambles at the moment because of family issues, but I'll try to upload at least something each day.

Here are a few recent things:
    *Portrait of my character, Kieran
    *Costume/armour and body type sketches for my draenei character Tully
    *Quick w.i.p. sketch of another draenei character, Honey
    *Costume ideas for Kieran, who I think I may make both a shapeshifter, and a sexshifter. Not too sure. Just fiddling with ideas at this point.
    *Speed paint concept of the steed of the "ho" of Babylon
    (it's supposed to be the naughtier word but I can't find anything to turn word filters off and on, so I'm stuck using hilarious slang or awkward spacing until I figure this out)

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Mellori; September 26th, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: trying to figure out this word filter deal
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellori For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more stuff that I was able to do about an hour ago. I worked all day Monday, and it made me feel a little bit 'out of it' in terms of art, so I really had to push myself to do these.

*A half-hour waterfall study referenced from Enchantedgal_Stock.deviantart.com
    *A really fast remodel of the drake model from World of Warcraft
    *Some 3 minute tree silhouettes/gestures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, I didn't think I'd be able to get anything done today. They're just quick sketches, but they're at least something.

*A quick sketch of another creature idea for the planet Argus from WoW.
    *A rough sketch of Shamira, my orc huntress, that I started to flesh out. This will be a sort of base so I can try out some clothing on her
    *The rough sketches for a 'dragon lifecycle' chart. The previous drake sketch will go with these. I've always liked to imagine that the dragons from WoW had mammalian, dinosaurian, and insectoid traits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant to upload these a lot earlier, but between the cleaning ladies, surprise breast exam, vet. trip, nap, dog walk, and much more, that obviously wasn't going to happen.
    What a day.

I've also been feeling a little under the weather so I don't have much done, and I haven't returned to my WIP's yet. Hopefully that'll happen tomorrow.

*Some quick alien designs.
    *I started watching the new Thundercats just for kicks, and decided to design a few ladies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *A crystal/ice tree experimental-speedpaint. Not super proud of it. It was spur-of-the-moment.
    *A WIP of a procession image of my favourite aliens. This is only a quarter of the aliens I want in it. It's a start though. =P
    *A for-fun sketch of a sort-of-anthro Rarity. Pose ref'd from Marcus Ranum.
    I'm hoping to be able to start painting it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A WIP of my Rarity sketch. Hopefully I'll be able to continue and finish it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The past week and a bit hasn't been very gentle to me, and I've just gotten over the worst part of a severe migraine, but things have finally quieted down and I can now upload my backlog of images.

*An update of my Rarity portrait
    *A quick landscape concept for the Draenei home planet, Argus (Just for fun, I've been filling in the gaps that Blizzard has left in the Draenei lore.)
    *A speedpainting of Nightmare moon
    *Argus worm concept. Based off of the Bobbit worm
    *More Draenei lore stuff
    *Another Argus critter
    *WIP sketches of the average 'Northern' male and female Draenei (I've decided to split the Draenei into two groups; the stout and hardy Northerners, and the thorny and predatory Southerners)
    *A quick Draenei 'healer' uniform for my character Tully
    *The genitals of the character above. Just for fun, but then it ended up being being more of an image to bring attention to intersexuality.
    *A speedpainting of my version of Atramedes, a boss from Blackwing Descent (I think)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mellori - you got here some pretty cool works
    Seems like you are good with figures, both male, and females. These works shows that you studied some real existing bodies, and got some decent skills to draw them.

What you should do now imo. is to give these characters a bit more of story, and action! I know that these may not be exactly what you want to show, but the fact is that movement and action is what attract viewers attention. And its so hard to get these attention in current filled with excitements entertainment market...

Since you play WoW you probably know Chris Metzen, and his sketches, but i'll link here he's works just to show what i am about http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/gallery.php?artist=metzen

Like especially these one http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer...warcraft&art=7
    Hes works got a lot of these intensity, rapacity.

From other artists i can suggest Serge Birault aka PapaNinja
    http://papaninja.cgsociety.org/gallery/785655/
    Hes works got a lot of storyline, and these awesome intensity! Love them!

Some of your works go slightly in these direction, daeranei, and orc females with earings for example i think you should push your works exactly in these direction.
    Also its good that you don't afraid to draw genitals - these can make your works more specific, and original. Just be carefully to do not make these too serious - WoW, dragons, fantasy characters, and intersexuality matters not necessarily fits together

Ps. On what realm are you playing WoW? I'm playing on Quel'thalas (rather as a weekend player but still...)

Last edited by tsabu; November 30th, 2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: PapaNinja is a male, not female... :)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tsabu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabu View Post
    Hey Mellori - you got here some pretty cool works
    Seems like you are good with figures, both male, and females. These works shows that you studied some real existing bodies, and got some decent skills to draw them.

What you should do now imo. is to give these characters a bit more of story, and action! I know that these may not be exactly what you want to show, but the fact is that movement and action is what attract viewers attention. And its so hard to get these attention in current filled with excitements entertainment market...

Since you play WoW you probably know Chris Metzen, and his sketches, but i'll link here he's works just to show what i am about http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/gallery.php?artist=metzen

Like especially these one http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer...warcraft&art=7
    Hes works got a lot of these intensity, rapacity.

From female artists i can suggest Serge Birault aka PapaNinja
    http://papaninja.cgsociety.org/gallery/785655/
    Her works got a lot of storyline, and these awesome intensity! Love them!

Some of your works go slightly in these direction, daeranei, and orc females with earings for example i think you should push your works exactly in these direction.
    Also its good that you don't afraid to draw genitals - these can make your works more specific, and original. Just be carefully to do not make these too serious - WoW, dragons, fantasy characters, and intersexuality matters not necessarily fits together

Ps. On what realm are you playing WoW? I'm playing on Quel'thalas (rather as a weekend player but still...)

Yeah, I need a little more drama in my poses.
    I've been neglecting it since I've been trying to finalize my characters (which is more of a dream at this point because characters are ever-changing ;P), so I got to make some time for more dynamic scenes/characters.

I like Metzen's stuff, but I've always preferred Glowei and Glen Rane. Metzen's got a great style to his stuff, it's like a cross between a comic and storybook style.

I've seen some of PapaNinja's stuff. His not my favourite artist around, but his painting style is excellent and many of his works have a quirky sense of humour.

At the moment I'm on Thorium Brotherhood, but I don't play that often either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about being absent for so long. The past few weeks have been very stressful.

Jeez, what a backlog.

The poses in the 7th picture down (the Draenei ladies) were ref'd from Posemaniacs, but I tweaked them to my liking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update!
    Like especially last 3 creatures, these raccoon like female warrior, and lizard humanoids portraits

My guess why some people want to see big fat pandaren females is because all females in the wow are smaller and more thine than males - what also make them visually weaker. Having females bigger and visually stronger than males, would make them more popular. But i think these should be implemented to the orc, or tauren females rather than to the pandarens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabu View Post
    Nice update!
    Like especially last 3 creatures, these raccoon like female warrior, and lizard humanoids portraits

My guess why some people want to see big fat pandaren females is because all females in the wow are smaller and more thine than males - what also make them visually weaker. Having females bigger and visually stronger than males, would make them more popular. But i think these should be implemented to the orc, or tauren females rather than to the pandarens
    Thanks Tsabu.

Well, people don't necessarily want the females to be bigger than the males, they simply want them to live up to their "endomorphic body shape." I think things will turn out okay for the Pandaren models though.

The male is not as idealized as the others, so I have hope for the female model. A lot of People just want the Pandaren sexual dimorphism to be similar to that of the Dwarf model.

Anyways, more art!
    I keep forgetting to upload here. I've been quite distracted lately.

*The pony-play worgen's pose was ref'd from Marcus Ranum: www.ranum.com

*The sword and shield is a tattoo for my boyfriend. He'll be getting it done this Sunday. I'm hoping everything goes well and that the artist does a good job. All I have to do now is convince him to get it on his left shoulder-blade instead of on the side of his left bicep.

Last edited by Mellori; December 9th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked on this a little more yesterday while my boyfriend and our friends were getting tattoed. I'm hoping that I have enough stamina to stick this one out until it's finished.

Anyways, I'm exhausted from yesterday. My boyfriend got his tattoo and everything went better than expected. The only problem was that I was more nervous than he was.

I tend to feel a lot of sympathetic pain for others, so this was no different. I held my neck, shoulders, and legs very stiffly, so when I woke up this morning I felt like shit. I feel a little better now, but I'm still tired and a wee bit out of it.

I'll upload photos when it's healed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been busy, holidays and what not. Also feeling a bit distracted and angry. One of the Christmas dinners I went to didn't go so great. I kept getting jabs about my weight.
    Apparently, being slim and trim through healthy eating is seen as an affront to some people. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep forgetting to update. :c

The background of the Celestia picture is from:
    http://nighthawk101stock.deviantart.com/

And the 'my little pony' doll was sort of ref'd from:
    http://fuckyeahmlp.tumblr.com/post/15273478361

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.