Tailoring my portfolio?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tailoring my portfolio?

I have a little bit of a problem. I can't be excited about any one medium or style. I like to do them all. Some turn out great and I really feel they are portfolio worthy. I'm finding that it might be a problem though I feel like potential clients will be turned off by seeing so many different styles and subject matter. If I want to get clients should I tailor my portfolio to their tastes? What if I don't have enough examples of one style? If I find a job that wants a particular style should I pass it by or try and mimic it?

I just feel like my portfolio is all over the place sometimes and I'm not sure what to show people.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No rule that says you have to have one single all-in-one portfolio If your style/mediums are really that radically different, separate them into broad categories and only show ___ clients your ___ work, etc.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Quelquefois View Post
    What if I don't have enough examples of one style?
    ..Draw more examples? I mean that's what you'll going to have to do anyway if a client wants that specific style.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Quelquefois View Post
    I can't be excited about any one medium or style. I like to do them all. Some turn out great and I really feel they are portfolio worthy.
    I think you should continue to explore what style(s) work best for you and that you can reproduce with consistent results. The reason why artists put together a portfolio with a single style and a certain level of quality is to show potential clients what they can expect to receive for their money. It sounds like right now you're not really sure what the image is going to look like until it's finished, and sometimes it's a winner but sometimes it's not. You don't want to end up in a situation where a piece that you produce for a client is one of the failed experiments that didn't work out.

Try to put together a small body of work for each style (like 5-10 images) that demonstrates your ability to produce relatively consistent results. When talking to a potential client about what they would like, you can show them examples of just one style that fits their needs or you can show them all of your examples and allow them to choose. You might charge different rates depending on the style and medium considering that a more detailed process will take longer than something simpler and easier to produce.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think having a diverse range of mediums and styles is great. I've tons of work that are anything from printmaking, ink, graphite, mixed media, digital painting, but all of them are identifiable to my style because in the end, you can't really avoid your own style.

If someone wants you to mimic a style, do it in your own way, because it's IMPOSSIBLE to match someone else's work to a 100%. If they want something changed, they'll tell you and you can change it.

If someone says they're looking for x type of work, show them that, because they're just going to skip over what they're not looking for anyway.

Other than that, I agree with everything else that's posted here.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Style isn't something you pull from a list. Style is like your handwriting, it is you. Doesn't matter about the medium, if your style doesn't come through it means you haven't worked on your art long enough. Bad artists pretend a style, good ones don't. Your style is your ability and what you believe is important about art. It is an organic thing and should slowly change over time as your ideas and ability change; anything else is bullshit and trying to cut corners. Artists who change chameleon- like from job to job do so because they are crappy artists, not good ones, and are too much of a coward to develop a personal professional style.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.