Sketchbook: Learning to draw...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning to draw...

Hi guys,I use this thread to explain who I am & why I am here.

My name is Marco,I am a 23 years old self-taught 3d artist that is trying to achieve a level of skills good enough to work in a software house that makes videogames,working on the 3d modeling part...& by the way,I am Italian,so I hope my english is good enough to be understood

Here you can see some of my 3d works http://marcusaseth.carbonmade.com/projects/3711568#1 ...nothing impressive or "artistic" I know,but there is still time to improve myself...

& now the reason why I am here:

In order to became a good 3d artist,able to do things better than a barrel or a stupid mace,for example able to do something like "a woman riding a snake" in 3d, I figure out that for example I need to know anatomy of the body,or if I want to make an incredible 3d scene,like a "city on top of a floating island" I need the skills to draw a concept of that environment.

Now,I know that there are amazing Concept Artists like you guys to do that,but I still think that developing those skills,even if a base level,could really improve my ability to understand the shapes the volumes of a thing & maybe even improving my creativity or some other benefits!
    For sure,this help me to create better 3d stuff,because usually i run trough the phase of the modeling maybe not thinking enough about what could I do to make my 3d stuff looking better (for example that mace on that portfolio),so,maybe if I stop a moment in with a pencil thinking about how could I improve it,this could make my life easier in the modeling process & give better results at the end of the work.

So my goal was to use this topic to learn about drawing & in order for doing this I have to ask you guys to "show me the path",even only telling me what tutorial I have to look at for starting with this,because actually you have to think at me like someone with the drawing skill of a guy that doesn't have ever draw something,& for sure if alone without a guidance I can only do sh*t...

& this topic serve even as sketchbook

So,this is it,I really appreciate & I am grateful to everyone would be so kind to help me in this

Last edited by Marcus Aseth; September 28th, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here the first attempt on doing something,please don't laugh at it xD

The question is,there is around a book or videotutorials online that teach me to do environment,concept art & stuff,even the correct way to draw,starting to the very beggining?

please help me

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Nice 3d work by the way! as to your sketching try some of these, they might be a bit boring but trust me they help

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223686

also find yourself a good tutorial on perspective drawing if you need to do environments then you are definately going to need it.

I would also recommend two books to you for all your drawing needs and I cant recomment them highly enough they are

James Gurneys "Colour and Light" and "Imaginative Realism" they are worth their weight on gold mate, solid principles but in plain english.

I hope this helps you out mate, keep posting and practising.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the suggestion Lightship,now I have already planned to follow all the books from Andrew Loomis (now I am with the first one "Fun with pencil") but after that for sure i look for those two books

Having fun with the "coal pencil" (don't know the english name lol),still doing a lot of shit but I have faith that I can learn this stuff if I put enough effort on it,& I am going to give 700% xD ...& is 100% times more fun than doing 3d!

Learning to draw...

Last edited by Marcus Aseth; September 28th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New day,new s*it xD
    probably is better if a moderator move this topic on sketchbook,cause for the next days/month probably there are not much to critique lol,only tranining

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FOR THE LOL XD

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I was trying to copy some manga stuff

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moved and good luck with the learning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Black Spot

Guys,I am having trouble

I am drawing on my sketchbook,traying to copy the charts of the human body with the proportion,where the body is divided into 8 units (from Loomis book).

The problem is,I start by drawing this line divided in 8,but every unit is 1mm bigger or 1mm smaller then the other,somethimes even 5mm difference

I do my best to make them of the same lenght,but when I compare them,is like if my brain can't compare this 2 different line correctly,they look to me to the same lenght,I realize the big difference only when I measure them,but even when I know that,looking again to the 2 lines they still look the same lenght

It is very frustrating...thing I want to know is,you have ever experienced this problem or you know of someone who does? Is a common thing that can be solved by years of practice,or the ability to measure correctly with eyes is a prerequisite that a sucessful concept artist already have into himself from the beggining (with beggining I mean for example when he draw for fun at 16 years old but is not a pro)??

If can be solved & is a common problem,there is a proper training for it?

Last edited by Marcus Aseth; March 10th, 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here a draw after a long period of "not drawing" ...

My main problem/struggle is that every time(period) I start to draw very motivated & ready to do my best,but after I see the resoult like in this last draw I get totally discouraged by the resoult,first because take me more than 1 hour & second because is nothing like the real image,& the worst thing is that I can watch it & notice that is different from the real one

So don't know,the bad thing about this is that there are no guarantees about it,I mean,if I could watch into the future & see myself be a pro at drawing I can tell "all right,I can learn it,let's do this" but without any guaranty I am more like "ok,let's try this (1 hour later) ...omg,the resoult suck...maybe I am lacking some important function on my brain that allow to learn this kind of thing " so thinking in that way,would be foolish wasting time on a thing that probably I can't learn...

I hate to have that doubt,because I don't know if it is saving me from wasting my time or if it is stopping me to achieve a dream...

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just like everything else in life, learning to draw is hard, especially if it doesn't come naturally to you. If you really want to reach a certain goal with your efforts, all you can do is push through those moments of discouragement and follow through. With each attempt you draw a little closer to that goal.

You seem to know what you need to do to learn so I wish you luck in your training. Update often, ask questions, post in other people's sketchbooks, ask more questions and you will soon have a library of useful sources for learning, and maybe even a few faithful followers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Christoffer for your answer,actually I have a question.

Do you guys know someone like me (a person that draw doesn't come naturally to him) that have keep to push trough in the time & reached some pro resoults??
    It's only to understand if it's possible,because every time when I heard of people that say to keep practice & that it only require time,when I check they're sketchbook I see that they start at an already good level,so this rise many doubts on me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another attempt...man,is so difficult >_< I hope that with the time it will become easier
    Any suggestion or critique is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of hard work in this SB, keep it up!

Atm, I would recommend that you focus on actual drawing, rather then long paintings for a while, in order to really improve your anatomy. Keep studying from Loomis books and similar, but also do a lot of 30 second and 60 second pose studies in order to learn to quickly draw a human figure. Of course, you should also keep painting as well, just don't loose yourself in several hour long paintings just yet before you know more about anatomy and proportions.

Keep it up! The road is long, but atleast your walking on it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks DennisH,but omg,30 -60 seconds draw?! O_O
    I am incredible slow,I don't think I can do a sketch like the one of that girl in only 60 seconds

...in fact,probably it would take me 15 minutes just for a bad sketch
    but if you say it help,I definitely will try it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, You have some amazing 3D work. Far ahead of my degree. To answer your question about the 8 unit proportions, the only way to get it bet is to draw, draw, draw, and then DRAW some more. If you want proper lenght then measure before hand. OR use some of that photoshop skillz and create a proper guide that you can print and then practice. Good luck with it man and remember "ANALYZE" do not copy. Understand the WHY not the HOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,here some bad quality sketches I have done today,I am using the pen to don't fall on the temptation of the ereaser
    I also have downloaded something like 200 images of female models,so the goal is to sketch them all

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,I have a question

How much of this sketches you think I should do each day,I mean,how much would be a good training???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep training,but probably I should do more >_>

Think that forcing myself to draw more would be good or it can only bring stress & bad resoults?! :o

Learning to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,almost 2 years passed since my last post here...sadly I never managed to be constant with drawing,though I definitely want to have the ability to draw among my skills,every time the disappointment of making bad drawing drag me away from this

So this time I'm back again, more serious than ever with the resolution to learn this and with the understanding that I don't have to focus too hard on how bad my drawing ability sucks at the moment,but I have to focus on drawing every day,even if only shading a simple shape,I must keep this going...and pray to have what it takes to be able over time to learn to draw stuff that I have not to be ashamed to show to others ^_^

Every crit or suggestion that can help me improving is of course welcome

Question: You guys think that at my actual level I could actually benefit from the Level Up Workshop? Or I should keep on a more basic training for a bit?

Name:  1.png
Views: 35
Size:  940.8 KBName:  2.png
Views: 36
Size:  483.8 KBName:  3.png
Views: 34
Size:  1,022.0 KBName:  4.png
Views: 34
Size:  341.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows