help for a painter 6 newb!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: help for a painter 6 newb!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help for a painter 6 newb!!!

I just got painter 6 to work for me. Its weird cuz i have to click first with my mouse and then it responds to my intous? Anyone else have this problem? ANyways, What's the first thing I should do. Whgat paper, tools do u recommend. Is the brush size always that little dot. Or do I get to choose diff. sizes. How does this work? Just messing around, but not sure how to use properly.

Anyone know of tutorials? Anything would help, thanks

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iwasink, i don't think, that it's a good idea posting your question in 3 different threads...you could be shot by one of the admins...:bash:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iwasink,

Definitly have to agree with fozzy!... But, what I recomend is first play around with it.. check out everysingle brush look at all the settings you can change with the brushes and do a few quick paintings first.. then start asking specific questions..

As far as your wacom not working right away.. I have a similar problem.. when I havent used the wacom in a while I have to take the pen and start on the border surrounding the tablet and drag it over the sensitive area.. ant then the computer realizes it is working.. *its weird* but thats what i have to do.

As far as papers.. Id suggest making your own.. or finding some off the net.. the provided ones with the software arent that great..

as far as the dot.. there are different ways for the cursor... but pretty much its either the little triangle or circle.. You can change the brush controls>dab type...

You can choses different sizes under Control:Brush>size

Deffinitly experiment witht he software.. you will figure it out pretty quick...

as far as tutorials.. Well most of these arent for Painter the software.. but on art processes..

Link:

http://www.sumaleth.com/links/la.php...torials&page=1

Also for painter 6.. make sure you get the update patch for it.. if you dont have it or haven't installed it.. here is the link:

http://www.corel.com/support/ftpsite.../6.1/index.htm

Hope I could help... And just as a reminder.. please just post in one area once.

Thanks again.

peace.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: help for a painter 6 newb!!!

Originally posted by iwasink
    I just got painter 6 to work for me. Its weird cuz i have to click first with my mouse and then it responds to my intous? Anyone else have this problem? ANyways, What's the first thing I should do. Whgat paper, tools do u recommend. Is the brush size always that little dot. Or do I get to choose diff. sizes. How does this work? Just messing around, but not sure how to use properly.

Anyone know of tutorials? Anything would help, thanks
    Hi,

You probably have a lot of your answers by now, since I'm catching up reading older messages. Just in case they haven't all been answered:

In Painter, Brush Size is controlled in several ways, the most basic being to:

1. Move the Size slider in either the Brush Controls palette's Size section (use Ctrl/Command+7 to toggle this palette open or closed) or in the Controls:Brush palette (use Ctrl/Command+5 to toggle this palette open or closed), or

2. In Painter 6, hold down the Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Command+Option (Mac) keys then drag away from the center to enlarge the brush Size or toward the center to make it smaller. In Painter 7, hold down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt (Windows) or Command+Shift+Option (Mac) keys then drag away from the center to enlarge the brush Size or toward the center to make it smaller, or

3. Click the "]" key to enlarge the brush and "[" to make it smaller.

With some brush variants, brushstroke size can also be varied using Pressure, within a given range related to the overall current brush Size setting. In other words, the brushstroke can be made to paint a thick and thin stroke in response to pen Pressure. If the brush variant is not already set to control Size with Pressure, go to the Brush Controls palette (Ctrl/Command+7) and in the Expression section, next to Size, choose Pressure from the dropdown menu.

Brush Outline Cursor

If, in Edit > Preferences > General, the "Brush ghost when possible" box is checked, an outline of the brush dab is displayed when you hold your cursor over the image. With some brush variants brush ghosting is not possible so you won't see the outline displayed. Instead, you'll see either a triangle or a single pixel, whichever you have checked in the same dialog box. However, you can always go to the Brush Controls palette's Size section and look in the Preview window to see the brush dab size.

If it's a Captured Dab brush variant, when you click once on the Preview window, the display changes to the Captured Dab image at whatever brush Size is currently chosen. So you can see how this works, an example of a Captured Dab brush variant is the Dry Media's Square Chalk variant. When you first chose the Square Chalk variant, the brush dab will be displayed in the Size section Preview window as a horizontal ellipse. When you click once on the Preview window, the display changes to a horizontal, textured rectangle. Try painting a brush stroke with this brush variant and you'll see how the Captured Dab image makes the brush paint like square chalk.

Experimenting and Getting Used to Painter's Brushes and Papers

What others have said is what I also recommend. That is, to open a large white Canvas and begin making brush strokes with each brush category's variants, from the top of the list to the bottom. Any brush variant for which the Subcategory has the word "Grainy" in it will pick up Paper texture as the brushstroke passes over the Canvas or Layer. The effect will change depending on the currently chosen Paper and where the Grain slider is moved.

Find the brush variant's Subcategory name in the Brush Controls palette's General section (Ctrl/Command+7).

Choose a Paper in the Art Materials palette's Papers section (use Ctrl/Command+3 to toggle this palette open or closed).

Adjust the Grain slider in either the Brush Controls palette's General section (Ctrl/Command+7) or in the Controls:Brush palette (Ctrl/Command+5).

TIP 1: Click the "B" key to paint freehand brush strokes and "V" to paint straight line brush strokes.

TIP 2: To restore a brush variant to its default settings, go to the Brushes palette (Ctrl/Command+2 to toggle this palette open or closed) and in the Variant menu, choose Restore Default Variant. To restore all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default settings, hold down the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac) key and in the Brushes palette's Variant menu, choose Restore Default Variant.

Play! It's the best way to experience Painter and learn how to use it.

Ask questions when you have something specific.

Take notes when you find something you like.

Take a trip to PixelAlley for lots of tutorials useable in Painter 5/5.5, Painter 6, and Painter 7. The URL is below my signature.

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley Section Links Page at:
    http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.