Sketchbook: Time to get serious -- xerenity's sketchbook - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to get serious -- xerenity's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hola again

Been an off week for me, ended up beta testing The Old Republic for four days straight and that seriously screwed me up (as fun as it was, it's not such a good idea ).

Anyway, I realize I need to start pushing the creative side of my mind, so I'm adding environmental thumbnails along with my other studies to start pushing that side further. This was interesting because it was the first time that I really felt the value of..well... values.. lol

Name:  thumbs.png
Views: 435
Size:  135.9 KB

And another figure study, about 45 mins or so iirc.. The face is atrocious, I really need to hunker down and learn the planes of faces...

Name:  femstance.png
Views: 426
Size:  125.3 KB

And, hey, let's throw in a blade runner still for good measure. I really like these rim lighting shots, the mood is stunning to me... and damn it looks nothing like Harrison Ford lol (maybe I'll try a hans solo still and really focus on likeness next time).

Name:  bladerunnerstill.png
Views: 438
Size:  338.3 KB

Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

Not too much going on here, been reading Bridgeman and Loomis together... also focusing very hard on learning the planes of faces, because my drawn faces lack depth pretty bad...

Also, I have a program to share; Smooth Draw. Very basic, but the feel of the brushes is smooth and fun... I also like the pencil simulation..

Hoover Dam, about 2 hours on this...I had no idea how to to handle the rock structures, mostly I just focused on the planes of them...
    Name:  hooverdam.png
Views: 420
Size:  222.5 KB

My lines are still so sketchy and wispy... this is a bad habit I've gotta break..
    Name:  faces.png
Views: 426
Size:  184.4 KB

This is after I spent several hours reading/sketching through Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands..

Name:  loomis_heads.png
Views: 421
Size:  158.5 KB

Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done on the sketchbook, you're clearly making good progress.

and I knew it was harrison ford straight away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again! ^^

More heads.... drawing from a construction point of view, thinking about the muscles and the bone underneath... still far from perfect, but I'm aware of the structure of faces now...

Name:  loomis_2.png
Views: 431
Size:  528.9 KB

Some more studies of the hands, after reading Loomis... I think the biggest thing that stuck with me after reading is that the hands should look as if they can grasp something....

Name:  hands.png
Views: 403
Size:  290.1 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup.

Some painting practice...first up, a scene from A New Hope (in honor of SW:TOR, I suppose )...took about 4 hours... the damn perspective is off, and I didn't realize until too late...I keep reminding myself to plan better at the start.

Name:  starwars1.png
Views: 400
Size:  524.7 KB

Work in progress.... original dimensions are 2000x1000, I'm trying my hardest to nail details on this one... I'm already 3 hours or so in, not too impressed so far... when it's zoomed out the values and everything read okay, but I want it to look great at 100% zoomed... let's just say I'm struggling.

Name:  alpine_wip.png
Views: 395
Size:  427.4 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig your landscapes i like the color tones and the values....if your using photoshop i suggest downloading whit bracna's tutorial it's worth just for the brushes

as for everything else study is good and study is great......but that's not what defines you as your own artist........the people here will eat you alive for things like bone structure anatomy(muscles) (perspective) and these are all important things too learn mastering them takes a lifetime
    and if you did you'd be a master at drawing a 2d figure yeah then you can right your own book!
    the next thing they'll want you to do is ad expression(attitude) and clothing(fabric) and mass(fat)!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; December 17th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ j.s. sabastian: Thanx for stopping by, mang! ^_^ I know I'm doing so many studies, but it's because I want to be better than average. I've tried doing creative work, and it falls short because visually it doesn't make sense. I promise, though, I'll start pushing the artist within me very soon. As for the brushes, thank you for the suggestion.. I found a few for free that I think will work out better than the standard PS ones. I noticed a definite improvement from the change, so we'll see how that goes.

So, not much today.. just some skulls. Had fun pushing the colors on the red and blue one... now that I look back over them I think I could have pushed them more..

Name:  skullstudy.png
Views: 377
Size:  433.8 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hola

I think some things are starting to make sense to me now... I'm starting to become aware of edges and stuff.... still have a long ways to go, but maybe I'm coming to some understandings now...we shall see.

Name:  girl_portrait.png
Views: 374
Size:  282.5 KB

Last edited by xerenity; December 20th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After looking at the portrait I did yesterday, I realized the proportions and the features were waaaaaaaaaaaay the hell off, so I had another go at it...

Name:  girl_portrait2.png
Views: 365
Size:  148.9 KB

And finally, a couple of quick concepts from mah brain...

I wanted an angry/snarling chick with a Shredder-esque helmet... and this is what happened.

Name:  helmet.png
Views: 352
Size:  224.3 KB

Here I wanted to play with character and atmosphere, so I went with some rim lighting... it's not as detailed as I wanted, but I can only spend so long on stuff.

Name:  swordsman.png
Views: 362
Size:  479.3 KB

I will be trying my best to split my time between studies and full blown concepts. I need to start exercising my creative side.

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xerenity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a very good start, you're very focused on studies and there is progress from page to page. I really liked the environment studies in # 35, you've got a realistic vibe, colors and light are well done.

My suggestion for sketches, if you could try changing the media regulary, like using ballpoint pens, felt pens, markers, china ink, charcoal, pastels to draw. Since handling those is difficult you'll be forced to make less lines. Also using a permanent media like ink will push you be selective with your lines.

All in all very good work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @e-nat: Ah, thanx for the suggestion... I have been using regular old ball point pen recently, and it's a change of pace from pencil... I still make a mess of lines, but it feels like I'm slowly kicking the habit. I'm still using mostly digital, but I doodle during meetings at least.

Anyway, not much lately... been in a major planning phase, so I have less time to work on art, but still pushing on...

So, considering this is the year of the dragon in Chinese astrology, I'm learning all about dragon anatomy (as if I needed an excuse like that ).. so, there will most likely be a lot of dragons for awhile.

Name:  dragon anatomy.png
Views: 350
Size:  265.2 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff and nice progress! Try to concentrate on the whole form rather than sketching lines like for example you did in the #31 picture of a man. blur your eyes and simplify your studies to big areas of values. i mean try to do more confident definitions to areas to help you really understand how the shape works. i'll grab a bag of popcorn and keep watching you man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Joona: Thanx for commenting! ^^ I definitely get where you're coming from, I suffer so much still in sketching lines but not forms.... It's foremost in my mind now.

After studying dragon anatomy, I found that when apporaching human anatomy I have been way too stiff, and not letting construction help me loosen up. So, I'm approaching figures from a new perspective, and hopefully it will pan out.

Also working on my imagination, trying less to copy verbatim and more on the whole concept... i.e. not staying strict to reference... I have got to get away from the xerox machine approach.

Name:  legs.png
Views: 334
Size:  254.2 KB

Name:  figures.png
Views: 334
Size:  277.0 KB

Also trying the form approach when it comes to faces..

Name:  faces.png
Views: 331
Size:  317.3 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update...

Dragons, from imagination except for referencing poses and junk...(still working out dragon anatomy, need more studies of that!)... found a new brush that I seem to be connecting with, so yay

Still trying to find that happy medium of rendering, but not over rendering...dealing with the major forms and what not.

Name:  dragons.png
Views: 357
Size:  311.6 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digitals get better and better, keep on doing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah man! Liking that you have progressed so much. Looking forward to more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xerenity View Post
    This one: I know maybe it wasn't a lot of time you worked on it, but sometimes that feeling gets so tangible like that : )

I also like your blade runner piece, it has a good feel to it. And the dragon sketches have some good motion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Thanks for dropping by SB.. I really like your latest stuff. I would love to see more!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your responses, guys.. it means a lot. ^_^

Been abnormally busy lately, trying to eat healthier and manage my life better.

I've been working hard on getting my creative side up to speed. I'm using reference as an assistant to the process, rather than slavishly copying what I see (referencing poses and mood, for example)..

Name:  character_sketches.png
Views: 289
Size:  288.1 KB

Name:  scifi_soldier.png
Views: 308
Size:  100.0 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking work, i really like how everything has come on in the second page, you seem to be getting looser with the stylus, looks great.

Nothing Of Interest......Yet

"Being remembered for living is worth dying for"

Midnight's Sketchbook Feel free to rip my work apart constructively

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, boy..it's been awhile.

I have my excuses, but now it's time to get back into things.

Doing some stuff from ref to get back into the swing of things... both of these were pretty fast, not more than an hour on both. I need to ramp up my speed and find the important stuff, get that readable, and move on. I think that's what I'll focus on for a bit.

Name:  grlfig1.png
Views: 256
Size:  357.9 KB

Name:  grlfig2 copy.png
Views: 251
Size:  96.1 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two pages and already there are strong signs of improvement.
    It amazes me everytime to see people evolve like this.

I don't have much to give in terms of constructive critisism, since you seem pretty much aware of everything you need to work on. I guess, all I can say is keep up the serious work and try not to study too many different things at the same time. Focus on one or two things for a while before moving on to the next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small update. My focus is on tonal values lately. I gotta get comfy with recognizing value before I move back into color. Soooon, though, I'll be slinging colors like mad.

Name:  girlfig1.png
Views: 271
Size:  278.6 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed your digitals are improving! I love the dragons in post 44. A suggestion would be push the values even more, in the last couple of posts their really good but you can make the forms pop out more.

ps: thanks for the comment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work here, love your dedication especially! Try to treat animal (fantasy or not) anatomy the same as you're treating your people though, study skeletons and skulls and such to understand them better; your dragons are greatly lacking in believability compared to your people and environments.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! You have come a long way since you started. This is quite inspirational. How do I subscribe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, ltns sketchbook! Finally getting around to doing some digital sketch booky kind of stuff again.

Here's Agent Smith! Took about 1.5 hours for both, had fun.. just trying to remember stuff..

Name:  agent_smith.png
Views: 139
Size:  691.6 KB

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1