Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Time to get serious -- xerenity's sketchbook

Hai everyone!

So, I've been around here awhile and made a few posts, but now I'm ready to get damn serious about my art. I'm tired of being mediocre and uninspired, so it's time to stop watching tutorials and start making some goddamn pretty pictures!

I've been drawing/painting for awhile now, but I've hit a rut recently and I need to break out of it badly. So, I decided it's time to start back at square one and start pushing on fundamentals again.

Crits and comments are definitely welcome and appreciated. ^_^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Congrats on making the jump keep it up
    Good work on the hands (I'm currently working on them). Try to look at the form of the hand in any tutorial (its more like a square/wedge for the palm) and just draw 100+ of them

Thanks
    Ah, always good to know someone else is working on hands. Hands and feet, people, hands and feet.

Good point about wedges; I tried to draw strictly from observation, today I tried applying more of a 3d form/wedge approach. Definitely felt a bit more success in at least thinking about the forms (damn hands are complicated sometimes ).

Also decided to jump back into Loomis and play around with the mannikin frame. Some of the poses you all should recognize from the book, but I used a few references from ArtsyPoses (loving this place!! ^_^ ).

I'm trying to structure my learning here; there's so much I need to know and practice, but no clear path yet. Sooooo, basically I'm gonna eat through Loomis' books and move on to Bridgeman, maybe.. no idea, but I do know I need to draw much much more.

Edit: I should add, going through loomis' mannikin poses are awesome. I have tried doing figure drawing, and I can't quite nail the grace of movement yet with the 3d forms. But just dealing with the "skeletal structure" just makes it so much easier to feel the rhythm of the movement.

Thanks
    A few more sketches... still trying to find a direction to go. Still going through loomis, I have a few more sketches that I'll scan in later.. .this was done in photoshop..

Thanks
    So, I figured I needed to get more comfy with pencils and pens, so I've been working mostly with that. I'm still rockin' and rollin'!

Still copying the figure poses from Loomis, I seem to be struggling with coming up with more dynamic poses from my mind. Need to observe people more, I think. ^^

Thanks
    Been busy past couple of days, but I suddenly got hit with a desire to paint clouds. Found myself really struggling, though... mostly because I'm still unsure how to paint and everything feels like I'm pecking at it. I'm always amazed how some artists seem to accomplish so much with so few strokes.

I was mostly using the round-hard brush in photoshop, though I did try to play around with some other brushes... mostly trying to get a feel for the shape of clouds..

Attachment 1337373
    Attachment 1337375
    Attachment 1337374
    Attachment 1337376
    Attachment 1337377

Actually kind of happy with this one
    Attachment 1337378

Did a quick beach scene..
    Attachment 1337379

Oh yeah, and some skulls.

Attachment 1337372
    Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Some more stuffs.... I have been practicing drawing/painting heads and getting likenesses and proportions down.. still have a lot of work to do there.

Attachment 1341879

Attachment 1341880

This was supposed to be Juila Stiles... not even close.. lol

Attachment 1341881

Attachment 1341882

Then I decided that I needed to start applying the studying I've been doing on anatomy, and try to do interesting stuff... So, maybe some more conceptual work from the imagination down the line..

Attachment 1341883
    Please, help me improve by visiting my sketchbook and kicking me in the ass! ^_^

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    So, I decided to study some horses... awesome creatures. ^^

After closely looking at my work, I've determined that I'm not allowing myself enough time to really focus on details. I've noticed that I just rush through and then I'm not happy with the result.

So, first try with a horse.. meh...

Attachment 1344896

Getting a feel for how a horse moves...

Attachment 1344897

Had a lot of fun painting this one, and I finally gave myself some time to actually work it out. ^^

Attachment 1344898

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Been a couple of days... I saw a brush that Jacob Kobryn posted in this thread that looked like a fun tool to play with... so I have been. ^_^

I'm trying to look at things as complete forms, and not get lost in the details. I think a problem I've been having is not being able to judge what should go into a painting and what shouldn't. That, and not judging proportions very well. Ah well, still going at it.

Attachment 1353148

Attachment 1353149

Attachment 1353150

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Nice to see lots of work. Keep it up!

I've been recomended http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ for some tips on photoshop take a look if you havent already.

But yh keep it comin!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    nice sketchbook you have going here
    keep up the studies draw and paint anything you think looks cool
    have a good one looking forward to seeing more of this journey
    -Jamie

Thanks
    @ The Ripple: Thanx for the support, it's very appreciated. ^_^ I haven't been to ctrlpaint in a while, thank you for reminding me about it. I've been trying to limit how many tutorials I watch because I tend to just watch them and not do anything.

@ OmertA: Thank you also for the support! For once in my life I'm really enjoying the process and just pushing forward learning as much as possible.

Another small update...

I like large cats. Will probably attempt a lynx or something in a day or two. ^^

Attachment 1355923

Attachment 1355925

I want to do a few more landscape studies, and take the opportunity to work in much higher resolutions then I'm used to. (usually I'm around the 800px range... time to push that up. ) I'm noticing also that everything I paint is still very mushy and I need to work harder at nailing details without over complicating...
    Attachment 1355926

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    I like the motivation and going back to the basics can be very rewarding.

Hands aren't my favorite thing to draw so kudos to you for doing a great job on yours. But don't forget to add some width to them, if you make the hand to skinny it's hard to attach all the fingers to them.

I also like you animal drawings, they have a lot of life in them (horse close-up and cougar eye) which can sometimes be hard to pull off.

Art is one of those things you got to sit down and just do it (like Nike), but don't feel bad, we all procrastinate, even when we're dong art related things (like watching a tutorial or posting in other people's sketchbooks )
    “Only those who attempt the absurd…will achieve the impossible.”

-M.C. Escher

Thanks
    @thefro3po - Ah, great comment on the hands.... thank you. I knew there was something off with my hands (besides the obvious poor technical skill ), and width feels like one of the big ones. You reminded me I need to do more hands. Also, thank you for the comment on animals; I love them! ^_^

On to the update!

So, some more hand studies.... I feel slightly better about the width... some are still lacking the "chunkiness" of life, but at least I'm conscious of some of the problems now.

Attachment 1360084

Some gestures... meh, I've no idea what I'm doing here. Just thought maybe I should do some quick gestures to get a sense of movement and proportions. They're awful, I know that much. lol

Attachment 1360085

I promised a lynx... here it is. This took me so long, and the hair gave me fits. At some point, I just got bored with it and realized I still haven't quite figured out what is causing the muddiness of my painting. After desaturating, it seems that it's lack of contrast.. I'll need to work that out. ^^

Attachment 1360086

deviantArt
    Draw.Draw.Draw.

Thanks
    Loving those hands. Props for having the commitment to just pump out lots of them. Impressive. .
    Definitely agree with the "push the fundamental" thing. Basics first, then fancy stuff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast