Thanks

Going to new york in october, any advice on what to see, artwise?

Staying in chelsea, and definitely visiting some of the museums. Any tips for less famous places to visit or just general advice?

So excited for this trip, I'm a cook, so ive mostly been making myself crazy with what and where to eat, but cant pass up the opportunity to see great art while im in a city like this.

Help a swedish chef, earn a bork.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    When in October? I'm going too for my show. If it's the 22nd then stop in for the opening. There are a few places I always hit. The Society of Illustrators on 63rd, Met, some publishers, and a few galleries but I'm picky. I'm sure there are people on here who know a lot more and will help you out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Definitely go to the Met. It's my fave!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, the Met is mandatory for any artist visiting NY.

There also happens to be an Ingres show:
    http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions...tion.asp?id=51

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Lambrakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Well, Arcadia will be in walking distance, as well as a whole bunch of other galleries.

In terms of eating, that's totally dependent on budgeting. I've been to a host of NYC hot spots that cost me in the $100 range for just my meal. I'd recommend instead looking for a trendy restaurant in Chelsea and making reservations in advance. Do some internet searching on that.

Good luck.

Besides the Society of Illustrators, you may want to check out Illustration House in midtown. (And if you go to the S of I, make sure that you can get into the dining area to see what's hung there... that's the gold (Wyeth, Rockwell, Cornwell, Lagatta, Schaeffer, etc.) You definitely want to do your homework before hitting NYC.
    Last edited by kev ferrara; September 23rd, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Are you visiting for the NY Comic Con? I've never gone but I would imagine there would be a number of industry illustrators attending and giving portfolio reviews.

I enjoyed the Museum of Arts and Design last I went, they had an excellent exhibit on paper-made artwork when I visisted. Unusual and fun museum, right by Columbus Circle so it's very easy to get to: http://www.madmuseum.org/

You've probably come across it already, but there's a NYC Arts website that lists the museums in the city with a short description of each one, and if you click the museum's link it gives you a more in-depth description as well as the admission fee and hours. So you can browse and choose, not a bad way to start a search: http://www.nyc-arts.org/categories/31/art-museum

Everyone always suggests the Guggenheim http://www.guggenheim.org/ though most people are disappointed by the art inside (the spiral building is really the main draw). No one mentioned the MoMA? (; http://www.moma.org/ Definitely worth it to visit at least once. There are many well-known modern paintings in addition to the contemporary art exhibits, so there is something for everyone to see, even if modern art is not your cup of tea. And the gift shop is fun to visit afterward, full of 'commercial fine art' products, meaning commercial objects designed by various artists (not just like ... a mug with a Mondrian print or something).

As a foodie, I feel obligated to ask you what made your restaurant list. (:

You must not pass up a visit to both Koreatown (Herald Square - also very easy to get to) and Chinatown for some fantastic and not-overly-expensive food (of course Chinatown is very cheap and very good).
    Last edited by landylachs; September 23rd, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added more info

12. The Following User Says Thank You to landylachs For This Useful Post:

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist
    Thanks
    General touristy places that are pretty awesome:

Top of the rock. (rockefeller building, takes you to the very top of the building with a great view of nyc)
    Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.
    Times Square, the random stores in time square, etc.
    Intrepid.
    Broadway show.
    Central Park, and the small zoo inside.
    In october, there is comic con, if you're interested.
    Bakeries like Magnolia Bakery around Bleecker street is a nice little stop to do.
    Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.

Artsy stuff:
    The Metropolitan museum of Art. (greek/roman art, paintings, scultures, artifacts, more)
    Museum of Natural History. (more science and animal oriented, but great)
    Museum of Modern Art.
    Guggenheim.
    Smaller museums like the cloisters, whitney, new museum, etc.... the last two are more contemporary art, so if you like that, check it out.
    Check out the various galleries scattered around..

But might I suggest: if you go to any museums (or anything), visit during the week. Weekends = screaming little kids everywhere. If you go on like a tuesday morning, it's so wonderful.
    Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog || deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blazinwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts
    I just came back from New York, and definitely the Met and the Frick to blow your mind. Arcadia was disappointing, I'm not sure if most of it was closed or they had all their works on show, but there was only 2 Lipking paintings and one very small room two weeks ago, in contrast to their website.

But you can check the met and frick anytime, this should be fantastic and many of these will not be on public display again: http://underpaintings.blogspot.com/2...sties-nyc.html

I wouldn't know about any other small shows and galleries but that's what I can tell you from my brief visit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    The Met.

Admission; $25.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

18. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer so far, The met is definitely on the list, probably taking a new york city pass for 79 bucks to get into a few museums as well as empire state and top of the rock instead of shelling out individually for all of that.

Going between 5th and 12th, so i think im missing comiccon by a week or so, wouldnt have managed getting the gf to that anyway, hoping to go to pax sometime in the future with some more nerd-oriented buddies.

As for eating, ive already booked us a table at marea, hope that will be good The gf is pretty much having to keep me on a leash so i dont blow all my savings on food in new york, but chelsea looks good for eating overall.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has tips, keep em coming

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    The Met.

Admission; $25.
    Recommended admission, if you feel no guilt or are totally broke you can pay less/nothing

Thanks
    the met is incredible, you can spend the whole day there and not see everything, just like blazinwolf said, avoid peak hours. frick is awesome too just a bit pricey for admission, same for moma. you can wander around chelsea and find a lot of private galleys but nothing is guaranteed to blow your mind.

also as far as food hit up some places in williamsburg brooklyn, there's a lot of newer high end restaurants that are almost always cheaper, same to better quality food and a lot more relaxed atmosphere than anywhere in manhattan. momo sushi shack, pies and thighs, fette sau, robeling tea room, roberta's pizza, brooklyn star, criff dog, st. anslem, egg.

if you're on a real tight budget, anywhere in chinatown, excellent porkchop restaurant and xo kitchen are a good bet but it's all good and cheap.

just get out and explore, there are tons of amazing things in the city so dont feel bad about just wandering.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to invinciblewombat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by invinciblewombat View Post
    Recommended admission, if you feel no guilt or are totally broke you can pay less/nothing
    Recommended for Adults, and there are recommend's for children & elderly.

Now, I do not take it as a recommend, as my friends and I went there not too long ago and there was three of us. I do not believe I saw people not on line to get pass' for entrance.

Don't get lost in the word recommend now. Just giving the OP a head's up.
    Last edited by OmenSpirits; September 25th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

24. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    most likely getting a citypass for 79 dollars which gives admittance to moma, the met, museum of natural hitory, empire state, top of the rock and a line cruise. Seems like a good deal even if we dont make all of those places.

Thanks
    I just got back a few months ago. Make sure you go to the MoMa and Met.

Here are some Holga Film pictures I took there as well. Try to stop by the Cathedral I am pretty sure it is on the way to the MoMa.

Thread I already made before I went: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223811

I went through a lot of SoHo area and the art there wasn't really my taste. It was mostly all Warhol and different pop art. Some of it I liked, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Also don't worry about going and staying very long around Times Square. It is extremely touristy and gets boring fast. It is cool just to see that many people in one place but thats about it. There was also a cool bowling alley i stepped into but it was a long wait. I stopped by in the Bronx to watch some basketball games which was cool. I road around the subway a full day and took time just viewing everything. There is this cool vinyl record place called "House of Oldies Rare Records" I went to. The guy there is pretty funny and is pretty proud of his shop. There is this breakfast place I went to that I forgot the name, but they have some of these famous blueberry pancakes. They were THE BOMB.com and I went there two days in a row.

Some other pictures of what I am talking about.

Last edited by Samuel Gray; September 25th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel Gray For This Useful Post: