8 9.20%
  • Rob Powell

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W.#230, the Swamp God. Voting!

C.O.W. #230 the Swamp God_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #230 VOTING

Topic: the Swamp God

Deadline for the voting: October 5th.

Requirements this week...

- The creature must reside in a swamp.

- the creature this week is immobile. Any appendages it may have are not to be used for locomotion.

- the creature should appear to be "godlike", it creates new species out of itself after all. its up to you to decide how to represent that visually.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; September 29th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: albino-Z

Concept: The Caretaker

He -the most humble of gods- born in mud, chained in mud, forever humming the faint tune of creation.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Dahlia

Concept: Larvae Rock

Once or twice a millennium, this creature awakens and belches forth eggs containing new species, revitalizing its swamp. It then closes its mouth, and returns to dormancy for centuries. Its name comes from its appearance while dormant - no humans have yet witnessed an awakening of the creature.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Eclectix

Concept: Moorish Architect
    The Moorish Architect is a god of the ancient world. It exists in wet, swampy areas where you find a proliferation of life and death. Creatures of all sorts are drawn to it as they near the end of their natural existence. As they approach, they are consumed by the Moorish Architect. In turn, they are converted into new forms of life. The Moorish Architect is so named because it fashions its environment by tailoring the life forms it creates to maintain a balance in the ecosystem.

Name:  swamp deity cow230 post.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  364.3 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First COW ever

[*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White]tamirespp[/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White]Lithogod[/COLOR]
    [/B]

Moist and filled with life as your abitat, this creature takes form in one of the most ignored form of life: the fungus. And by having such simple characteristics, it can derive to create unique and complex life.

Please, help me get better! SKETCHBOOK

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" - Neil Armstrong

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tamirespp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: sepu

Concept: Swamp Daughter of Shubb-Niggurath

One of thousand children of black goat goddess, this delicate creature resides hidden shyly in her swamp, producing thousands children herself to protect her dwelling from unwanted visitors.
    growing unnatural big and becoming tired with her swollen tentacled body, she became immobile, and fell deep under the surface of swamp, to witch she reaches with her tentacles, spreading her brood.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sepu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Dranyer

Concept: The Bog Leviathan
    deep at the heart of one of the densest swamps on earth there lives a creature which appears from a distance to be a small mountain. judging by the thickness of the vegetation that has accumulated on it's surface it's clear that it has lived there for millions of years, never moving, perpetually creating new creatures to populate the swamp. to disseminate these new species the leviathan encases the creatures in viscous globes and sends them into the water where the globes eventually dissolve allowing the new creatures to venture forth into the swamp.

Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: Chondrodite
    Troll gods are few and far between since the titans failed against the ursurping of the new gods.
    Still, they serve a purpose to these rebels yet - their legendary fecundity often springs forth huge swamplands that teem with new life for the gods to control and distort.

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Mother Mah'zul
    It is said the at great demon beast Mahzulian was spawned from the God-like creature accordingly named the Mother Mah'zul. Extremely rare, these astonishingly fertile creatures reside in the deepest reaches of the most remote swamplands. They periodically emanate a phosphorescent halo-like glow which many explorers of the deep bogs have mistaken for "swamp gas". This glow, in part serves to attract varieties of local fauna, the genetic material of which the Mother Mah'zul is somehow able to recombine, replicate and ultimately create and birth entirely new life forms which rupture forth from various glowing orifices...

C.O.W.#230, the Swamp God. Voting!

Last edited by J-Sun; September 29th, 2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

18. The Following User Says Thank You to J-Sun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ninety9

Concept: The Swamp God

One of a rare breed of true gods regarding their ability to create and breed life is the so called Swamp God.
    To the people, that have been lucky to witness the lifecreating process of this gigantic creature, it is known only by its common name of "swamp god".
    Nothing do these unilluminied humans about what is behind these breathtaking creatures that populate the swamps they life in, nor can any of the wise remember anything about their first appearance - they seem to have been always there.

Do not let the plant-like appearance of the Swamp God fool you because this is an organism incomparable:
    the actual "god" is a mutating microorganism similar to a common worm wich can adpot to every living material it gets in contact with -
    on molecular basis the "god" absorbs DNA and recreates living parts to build up his "shell" wich is in most cases a
    rotten tree stump or a creature´s corpse. It grows appendages and digs its mycorrhiza-like nervepaths deeper into the swamp.
    These creatures never ever move again after having found their first and base part of the shell wich in most cases builds the head part of the later outer appearance of the creature.
    When the years pass by the creature becomes fully immobilized, often bound to the ground by vegetation and creepers.

These creatures do not mate but recreate their DNA by absorbing and manipulating DNA they find around them wich results in a rich fauna
    since quite often "offsprings" are mutated new breeds of creatures. Only once in a while the Swamp God recreates its own actual DNA to clone itself.
    Hanging underneath its trunk, follicles ripen like fat swollen apples until they fall off, open and give life to fascinating new creatures
    that populate the swamp and guard their creator, their god - the Swamp God.

sorry for my lack of writing proper english and providing such a fat chunk of text - but i felt like i had to add adetailed description.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Snapping Turtle Swamp God

Artist: silicone

Concept: mother snapping-turtle

In the foggy depths of the murky swamps of New Zealand dwells a creature of giant proportions. The natives of the land refer to this creature as the god of the swamp. Its ovaries are the size of a man and they produce thousands of eggs each day, filling the swamp with lifeforms which in return, feed the giant god who is eternally bonded to the swampy mangroves.

Last edited by silicone; September 28th, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: incorrect format

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silicone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cow 230 Gorzog Swamp God

Artist: Dan Schallock

Concept: Gorzog Swamp God
    Gorzog is an elemental. A creature of the swamp, he is part earth, rock, tree and animal. At the water’s edge, his flesh oozes with the mud between the roots of trees and blends seamlessly with the algae. From above, obsidian like eyes spear the water sending shafts of darkness edged with golden light. And a soft sucking sound not unlike that of a toilet plunger signals his breathing. He is alive.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSchallock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ke'shaunn

Artist: thirdeye

Concept: Ke'shaunn

"Ke'shaunn" means light or moving light in Dashtaun language. But it's only the pronunciation, a little differently put stress on the second syllable "kesha'unn" that differentiates it from Dashtaun word for "creator"...So here it is...a light that creates, playfully twinkling in the depts of Dashian swamps lurking travelers, guiding them home and giving hope to the lost. This - by many belived to be mythical - creature, is the creator of life on the swamps of this jungle covered planet.

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thirdeye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 662 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Swamp Queen

She is supported by the trees, and she lays the eggs of life. From the eggs hatches many creatures who shall eternally worship her might.
    Name:  swamp god.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  395.6 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say these are SICK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow guys this is seriously one of the closest cows ive seen as far as voting goes. sooooo much goods in this one. gonna think about it a little before i vote.

good job everybody!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    albino-z definitely gets my vote this round. Moody piece with a gorgeous palette and a cool design. I've gone through and "thanks"d the ones a really liked this round.

To: Dan Schallock and tamirespp, by all rights you both should be eliminated this round for not actually posting a creature.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 662 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great round guys!

Some nice entries this time around, favs were albino-z, dranyer, lkjhgfdsa, and silicone. In the end I voted for Dranyer, I'm a fan of his character designs, and I'm impressed with his entry this round. And the additional sketches are always cool to look at.

In addition...

sepu: Really neat, but I just see tentacles here, I'm dying to see what the rest of the creature looks like, remember the more of the creature's design we see the better

ninety-9: nice design, but your creature looks mobile, maybe if it's legs had some strong tree roots sticking into the ground

Had fun this time around, despite not being able to finish to the point I wanted. Was more into the enviroment more than the creature, plus starting half-way into the week didn't help either, but I'm most likely going to get back into it and finish it completely...or at least to a point that I'm happy with.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh, forgot to finish my entry. Great work guys.
    albino-Z and Dranyer especially.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Close call this week! Drayner's was cool, but actually I liked those silos on the bottom detailing its anatomy. Cool stuff! Props to Silicone, yours was my second choice. I'm sorry I didn't have time to finish this one, was a really cool topic, most challenging I've yet seen. Great job everyone!

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all crits are meant in a good way, no offense intended if anyone feels like so.

Albino-Z - gorgeous rendering, the incorporation of the alchemy sketches went pretty well. i miss a description that explains the life-creating-process and makes up for the hard to distinguish creature-form though.

Dahlia - good start, perhaps show a little more what´s going on and provide some details. also i´d like to see how the new species get created.

Eclectix - i really like the creation/alteration concept! Perhaps try to push the rendering further. The structures that bind the creeature to the trees look pretty good.

tamirespp - the piece looks a bit unfinished, lighting is pretty interesting though. the creature looks like a skull-shapes island. show us more so we can distinguish its whole body. no explanation of the life-creation wich most entries this round miss.

sepu - rendering looks good, i like the cute croc. i´d like to see the rest of the body to get an impression with what kind of creature we´re dealing with.

Dranyer - this is my 2nd winner. the artwork looks great and creates nice atmosphere. the detail-shots provide a nice impression on what´s hidden under this giant pile of vegetation. the concept would be perfect and the entry a winner if the creation-process would be explained in the description. just because i am a fetishist

lkjhgfdsa - rendering is great as always and u keep true to your own style. one the one hand i like the interpretation of the life-aspect and on the other hand i think that you cleverly circumnavigated the creative rocks that was the creation-requirement. since all the others faced this challenge i´d love to see what your creature would look like if you integrated it the same way.

J-Sun - your style throughout the artwork is very consistent. concept is nice

silicone - professional effective rendering. probably the best looking piece here. on one hand i miss (yes again ) some explanation on why it produces different lifeforms and on the other hand i found some other entries slightly more original. but still, both creature and rendering are absolutely superb!

DanSchallock - Although i like the idea of an elemental it´s hard for me to see an actual creature here.

thirdeye - WOW, i love this dynamic artwork. you got my vote! Although your description leaves me with some questions and curiosity on the creation-process i find the requirements fulfilled in a great way and although it´s slightly on the plant-side, or at least looks like it is, your final artwork gives both an understanding of the creature and what it does and on the other hand leaves some parts disguised to be discovered by the viewers imagination. lighting, pose and comp make up for a very dynamic personal winner.

Rob Powell - reminds me of the nasty alien-queen from the movies. would love to see this fully rendered since u said you only had time for the background to finish. this lady is definetely immobilized but how did she get up there into the trees?

myself/ninety9 - same old problem, started with a nice sketch and got carried away with detailing way to early. i zoom in too much and stroke every little shit-detail wich is very time-consuming. after zooming out i see... ... ... nothing, because i was detailing things that were way to small. make a note for myself: less zooming.
    i´ll try to not include any backgrounds also in the future since in my pieces they distract and consume to much of the time i do not have besides work unfortunately.
    didn´t have time to add the proper amout of vegetation to immobilize it more, as Rob Powell already recognized. perhaps i should´ve gone without the legs but on the other hand i just didn´t want to take a shortcut like most did by just hiding the creature under a pile of plants and not showing what it actually looks like and not explaining how and why and so on. as my description and crits show i am a logics-fetishist when it comes to creature-concepts.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Awesome stuff this round! I was so blown away by Albino-Z's entry that I almost stopped right there, but if I had I would've missed all the other brilliant entries this round! Excellent work! Very inspiring! Thanks everybody!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only been on CA for less than a year, but this round is, by FAR, the strongest round of COW that I've ever seen...STACKED with professional-quality work. I voted for thirdeye, for a breathtakingly beautiful piece. Solid, imaginative concept expertly rendered without hiding the design in illustration. Also, the creature that is being created in this piece is pretty freakin' awesome as well. Only five votes so far? Not sure what's going on there, buddy, but I bow to your prowess.

Meanwhile, we get some sweet entries from the likes of Dranyer, Ninety9, lkjhgfdsa, Eclectix, etc....really impressive stuff.

In defense of DanShallock and Tamirespp (who probably would have been fine if not for stating its fungal nature in the description), a lot of entries could be interpretted as flora, and "Swamp God" really evokes that kind of theme...like the tentacled nature god in Hellboy 2.

Last edited by DPFX; October 2nd, 2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: I like editing.
    My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.