Help in resolving my Assasin God
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help in resolving my Assasin God

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help in resolving my Assasin God

Hey again

Im starting a new piece and wanted to run my development over here for advice and insight on how to improve. I'm working up another piece based on Steven Eriksons Books. This time its an Assasin God. Heres the skinny:

Name:  cottilionv-1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  54.5 KB

the character is a light skinned assasin who became the Patron god of assasins. His weapon of choice is a rope type weapon. I believe its open to interpretation and I want to properly explore that in the development process....

I wanted this piece to have a good figure ground relationship so I set it up to be in a shadow realm (something like a parallel world). I know monochrome reduces my options so I tried to introduce focal colours around the eyes and from the "magic rope". Im certain I'll have to change it. as it is my colour scheme feels flat.

here are the concept sketches I worked on...

Name:  scan0001s.JPG
Views: 858
Size:  67.4 KB

I went along with number 6 as it creates both a regal and an ominous atmosphere. the twirly thing felt a bit unnecessary, Cant see that looking good no matter what I do. Lastly the characters facial expression feels inappropriate. I can't think of something that would fit better.

Hope for any advice and observations you can give me, thanks.

Last edited by dolmen; November 4th, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
    Deviantart: "finished" work

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my thoughts

Name:  Screen-shot-2011-09-20-at-8.17.45-PM.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  81.7 KB
    little building thing just seems out of place
    the way you have the legs right now they feel really stocky
    hands usually fall to the bottom of the pelvis
    and lastly I would turn his left foot out a bit...
    also I would make a light source in the right and start lighting it right to left to give it an overall lighting scheme....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to williams73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm glad you did some thumbs. You didn't do very many, but you started right so pat on the back!

However, I don't think your current rough looks much like your sketch! Same thing happens to me. Really try to keep the movement, gesture, and greatness of your thumbs and sketches.

Reference will solve pretty much all of your problems. Find ref and you will be good to go.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by williams73 View Post
    Name:  Screen-shot-2011-09-20-at-8.17.45-PM.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  81.7 KB
    little building thing just seems out of place
    the way you have the legs right now they feel really stocky
    hands usually fall to the bottom of the pelvis
    and lastly I would turn his left foot out a bit...
    also I would make a light source in the right and start lighting it right to left to give it an overall lighting scheme....
    Firstly Thanks you for the Paint over. You're right of course, the stance is awkward. perhaps the original pose in thumbnail six would be better with both feet close together, maybe the right foot before the left?

It was my intention to get a landscape filled with ruins in the back. Planning to have a few Hounds randomly placed about the architecture too. Now that you mention it the building just sticks out awkwardly. should I get rid of it completely or make an effort to make it feel like part of the picture?

I will get down to some composition edits tonight, gonna tackle the lighting and the stance. I'll place a dominant moon where you suggest in the upper right and start working my values up from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    Well I'm glad you did some thumbs. You didn't do very many, but you started right so pat on the back!

However, I don't think your current rough looks much like your sketch! Same thing happens to me. Really try to keep the movement, gesture, and greatness of your thumbs and sketches.

Reference will solve pretty much all of your problems. Find ref and you will be good to go.
    Heh I've realize how important thumbnail studies are thanks to you, I had a few others that I wanted to post but felt I'd just end up flooding the thread. I really did veer off the path I intended mainly because I got too comfortable with the BG. Will try bring some dynamism into the fore-figure. The robe and the rope in particular could use a bit more looseness.

I've trawled for references to help me detail the character. so far these seem best suited for my idea...

http://images.community.wizards.com/...f.jpg?v=141750

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%...in_cloaked.jpg

http://www.platformnation.com/wp-con...evelations.jpg

Will start making alterations now. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some positive progress this morning.

Name:  cottilionv-4 small.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  52.9 KB

I attempted to change stance to activate the curve of the spine and plant the
    figure into the environment. I also Started playing with an otherworldly light
    source.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good nice progress.....keep at it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to williams73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress so far:

Stripped off the shirt
    introduced a better chain sickle relationship
    Shadow God in Background
    Hair less anime style

Name:  cottilionv-7 small.JPG
Views: 1371
Size:  50.6 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how to solve this while still keeping the shadow god, but with the way it looks now, it kinda looks like he's standing next to a backdrop of a nighttime landscape, and he's casting a shadow on the 2D surface.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah I see what you're saying. wow...I think I'd have to either, like you say get rid of the shadow God or make the shadow god a solid thing perhaps mirroring him to face the opposite direction?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the biggest issue is that you have a tangent between the shadow thing and the guys cast shadow. Just get rid of the bit that connects the two beside the dudes left foot and I think you'll be ok.

You've also got a load of different light sources going on here that doesn't really make much sense. The image would probably be a lot less confusing if you just went with one light source and then reflected light from the sky.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of other issues, but what strikes me as off is how un-chain-like the chain thing is. More accurately, the draping of the material is very, very off.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're waaaaayyyyy over-rendering and exaggerating the muscles. I know he's a god (or so the title tells me) but he looks like he's wearing a bubble suit.

In addition, the over definition of muscle like that is leading to your figure feeling stiff. The pose change was good, but reference the hands. I think the mouth might be a little far to the right as well, at least it looks that way to me right now.

Hope that helps. Keep at it!

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, gonna reference the hands and try a mouth fix, gonna check the muscles by toning definition to make them seem more natural and flexible, try make background planet thing a more dominant light source.

I think as far as clothing goes I need to fix alot. Probably need to dig up a tutorial. The Chain being unchainlike confuses me a little but will see if I can find some pics of Spawn and scorpion from MK for better chain ideas...

oh and will get rid of that tangent by his left foot see if that sorts the shadow guy issue.

Thanks for the advice, will get on this as soon as I'm done with work (hate buzzkill mondays).

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dolmen View Post

I think as far as clothing goes I need to fix alot. Probably need to dig up a tutorial. The Chain being unchainlike confuses me a little but will see if I can find some pics of Spawn and scorpion from MK for better chain ideas...
    It looks unchainlike because it looks stiff, not like a chain which drapes. Grab some chain from your local hardware store and pose while holding it in the mirror, take pictures.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol ok Progress at last. I ditched the chain, It was aparently meant to be a rope, other than that I tweaked muscle mass and pose, hopefully got him to feel more natural.
    Upgraded his wardrobe, ditched the shaggy mess for a cleaner system of folds.

Played around with his left glove ALA assasins creed and chaged his face to seem more
    aggressive and less meh.

Name:  cottilionv-10small.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  129.5 KB

I feel I'm narrowing in on the way I want this character to be.

Main issue now is to render things correctly, especially the rope
    and the design of the clothing.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arms are too short compared to the rest of the body

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Conquerrisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good call. I think i made the legs too long in relation to torso and shoulder aswell so the proportions look off. Thank you, that was critical

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice start. first of all im just going to put this out there as it was the first thing that popped into my head, and sometimes that is a very important thing. the first thing i thought when i saw this was it looks like shang tsung has just stolen scorpions spear but still cant work out what to do with it. jokes aside.

ok fist of all hes lit from all over the place, as if hes in a comic and they wanted to show off all of his oblique muscles (ribcage area), i see a moon behind him to the right? or some plannet (especially if it is a moon) would be the light source for this image and therefore he should have a strong rimlight across his back, and the rest of his form would be described through low-level reflected light off a rock or something. the only way he would be receiving that ammount of light would be if there was another moon behind the viewer or he was looking at himself in some giant mirror he brought along somewhere of camera.
    try and find some reference shots off artsy poses or something to work from to make your model look slightly less artificial. or even go out in the moonlight and get someone to photograph you in the moonlight like that. lot of effort but you never know.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im gonna have to start by saying thanks, always good to hear peoples opinion on my art. I think at this stage Im happier viewing this piece as lit from a main source in the front and refracted light from the mini world and moon in the background.

All you say is valid. I really need to think carefully about the placing of my cosmic bodies. it often results in complications later on. as for him looking like scorpio tsung well it was honestly the last thing I had in mind. happy with the comparison might just practice some artistic license a little and change the blade back to a sickle.

All I was looking for was a kill point really, the form and shape of it could be anything.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,
    very nice ideas you have I like this one the most though! it´s got a very nice backdrop with a lot of depth and the positioning and pose of the guy is also very good.. i think it has the most atmospehre and is very interesting..

in your last picture the guy is too large or the frame is too close to him i think, maybe try make the canvas bigger?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kirillis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Krillis.

thanks I actually wish I'd maintained that screen ratio. as it is though I could only shift him a little but thank you for your input

Name:  cottilionv-14 final 3 small colour.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  56.4 KB

So I'd like to think this is the done deal. had to submit it to get the project moving. Thanks for all the input up until this point, learnt a ton of things!

on to the next one i guess.

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1