Art: Adam Russ portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Adam Russ portfolio

Hi my name is Adam, Im currently looking for employment, so Ive been busy feeling holes in my portfolio. Id like to continue my education but recently have little financial resources left to do so. So on that note, im trying to get employable and recognize that I have absolutely no idea how to make that happen. So Im here seeking advice from the pros, to get moving again. Any input would be most appreciated and not soon forgotten.

-adam

http://artbyadamruss.blogspot.com/

your crits are most welcomed
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adam. Would you mind saying what education you did have? I just ask to get to know you better and relate more.

Your drawing and perspective is really nice. Some of the drawings are really nice. I would say my number one issue is that most of them are too big. It actually took some time to load them, and then they are so big they're very hard to look at. #12 of your images is as big as I would go, and #13 is too small. So try to make them all in that range. I will say tho that #12 is not as good as the others and I would take it out. It also makes your figure drawing look quite deficient-- you don't need figures tho especially if you're going to be modeling.

My favorite image is #25 so take that for what its worth. It has nice design, composition, and subtle use of color. It is not too loose and not too tight.

I would take all of the animals out. Until you have enough skills, and enough examples, try not to dilute your best works. Then you can make a different section in the future if you need to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Artfix

I appreciate you taking the time to go threw my work, your feedback has me thinking. I studied for two year at Westwood college, cause I was a big dummy and didnt know any better. Moved onto the Art Institute in the Inland Empire and studied there for about three years, Instructors I though were very good and alot of help; wish I could say the same for the school itself. I had to leave due to lack of financial resources, I learned alot though. Currently Im working on a 3D environment portfolio, cause I didnt have much time to make one before I left. My goal is to have 6 scenes rendered in maya and 6 rendered in unreal. I love drawing, but didnt get a whole lot of it at my last school. I love drawing but to do it professionally I dont think I have enough foundational training to compete in the industry. Ill still draw, but Im 31 and starting to feel like time is running out, so 3D it is lol. Anyway, thanks again for your input I do appreciate it.

-adam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will never get to old (well, maybe 80 is a bit too old).
    But 31 is nothing.

We are all bumping in to walls here and there, leaving us to make choises.
    I'm facing one rigth now, and I can tell you it is one trick bastard to a wall. (:

Keep going at it, I really like the architecture. Something I've never grasped, guess I've sticked with characters a whole lot.

Anatomy seems to be your weak point though, so try to take them out of the portfolio.

Can't wait to see even more structures, both exterior and interior.

Keep the great work up and don't give up! (:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobsk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawing is your best work it overshadows everything else in your portfolio. I'd love to see you paint some of them up! I think you could become an exellent enviromental artist.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Lobsk, Your right man 31 is not that old I geuss. In hindsight I wish I had made some better decisions in regards to school and what I should have spent time focusing on. I appreciate you giving my stuff a look threw, and the kind words.

Thanks Shorinji, I really do enjoy drawing, Its been a nightmare trying to be a professional at it, picked the wrong school for it...twice. Now that Im out of school I find myself modeling 8 hours a day, cause I was told that was the easy route to employment. I should keep on with my passions, I just fear what it will mean if I do. Thanks for checking out my stuff, appreciate your input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey There amr-28,

You portfolio is overwhelmingly amazing! I have not made it into the industry just yet, but from the looks of it, you're work is comparable to those I know who are working today.

The only critique I have is that, looking at your blog was truly overwhelming. As a portfolio, it should be presented with organization and professionalism. The portfolio you've produced makes your light year ahead of me (not literally I hope -_-), however, I'm not a fan of presenting works in blogs and your work is just too good to be in a blog.

Sure, it gets the information across but perhaps you've got 2-7 days to invest in some time to create a personal website from scratch.

I hope you don't mind me asking. Have you tried presenting a physical portfolio to studios at conventions such as GDC and comic-con?

Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maerrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey adam!

The work looks awesome. I agree with everything that's been said so far, the variety of size that each image has is kind of jarring. You have big images, then small images, then a big pixelated image in there. It shows a solid grasp on your craft, which I assume to be perspective and design work. If I had a critique, it's two things: your presentation of your work and the love behind the images. I'm a little hopped up on coffee, so this is all in joviality, no harshness meant.

The work is great, but the way that it's presented as a portfolio looks kind of like you just put a bunch of images into a blog post and said "Here it is! Give me monies, bitches!" I feel like this site could be arranged more into "Here are my building designs, here are my vehicles, here are my story-driven illustrative works." Also, I have a hard time spotting your email and contact info easily. Also, your site's kind of... brown. You know that whole thing where advertisers do the "Don't be easy to remember, but hard to forget"? This is in no way to insult your site or your work, but it's easy for my brain to forget what your work was about, and who you are. I would suggest that you make your contact info bigger at the top, like the first thing that a potential client would see and remember. Also, take a look at http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/ His site has two striking robots on the sides, and a very clean style of presentation (which is along the lines of what your site definitely has). For me, it's kind of hard to forget those robots later on, and my brain automatically thinks "Crazy creepy robots... FZD... Feng Zhu Design." If you have something like that to greet your potential clients, you'll have a leg up on other freelancers out there.

Now in terms of love, here's what I mean without being too fluffy or out there. Your images have a lot of technique and thought behind them, and no one can doubt you for that. But the story and emotion behind them seems lacking. I'm not saying that all of them are lacking any emotion or story, since they obviously have some sort of implied story elements within them. But take image 24 specifically. If you added in a hiding mother and two children or something in there, and I only saw that one image, I'd be like "I want that guy on my team." It has technique, and direction, and a little bit of story and emotion, because it looks like there's some sort of search or pursuit going on. However, if I only saw something like image 9, I'd be like "Huh, he has technique... but I dunno... kinda eh, I don't know what I should be feeling. What's going on here..." That's kind of what I mean in terms of love for the image. I could have just said "put more emotion and story into the images" but meh.

Hope this helps You've got great work, just make the prospects feel something strong when they go on your site, both in terms of the site and your work.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank you

I appreciate the comments and crits. I definitely appreciate what you guys are telling me, to be honest being in school and comparing myself to other artists abilities Ive been really striving to get up to that level and sort of forgot what it is I loved about creating to began with. Also I geuss working on art this way has put a little bit of a chip on my shoulder, In my head Im thinking is this good enough yet! Taking a step back I realize that Ive been taking the wrong approach and looking at my work the wrong way. Also Ive always seemed to have this confidence issue, which has been leading me to shoot myself in the foot several times. Making this blog was something a friend of mine asked me to do, it was hard for me to see the point in it, when I didnt think my work was good enough to begin with. Ive come along way I think, I really hated my work before but I enjoyed making it. My mindset defianetly needs to be changed, I wish I was around more like minded individuals. Thanks again for the honesty, it really gives me alot to think about, and sorry it took so long to post a reply. I wish you all the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most artists feel that their work isn't good enough. That's why we keep trying to improve. Really I believe that an artist should enjoy creating first and foremost. I'm not a professional artist. I'm a construction worker, but I love to create. I don't care what anyone thinks about my work it wasn't created for them... It's for me. It just makes me happy. There's no point striving to becoming a professional artist if it costs you the joy of creating. In fact your work will suffer because you hearts not in it. Just do what makes you happy and it'll make others happy too.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I hear you

Thats funny, also have 6 years experience in the construction trades. It was only after grouting a 2,000 sq foot tile floor, when I decided to move in the direction of developing my skill set as an artist. I sure do miss the paychecks though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, I just wanted to say that I'm 30 and only just getting my portfolio in order after making some blunders in educational direction. You are not alone, and there are many others out there (including very successful pros) who didn't bounce into the industry at 21 after leaving college - in fact I think it is a minority who manage to do that. Most artists have to spend more time on their craft before they're at a professional level. And don't worry about "having good schooling". If your portfolio is good employers won't even ask about that.

Although I'm not professional myself, I've been doing a lot of research into what makes a good portfolio, so this stuff is all in my brain right now and I wanted to back up some of the other great advice. Firstly to keep your environment drawings but get rid of the animal and figure drawings for now. They aren't as strong and your portfolio is only as good as your WORST piece - that's always the one potential employers are looking at! Also, an employer who hires you to create environments isn't going to be very interested in whether you can draw figures or not. You need to reduce the number of pieces in your portfolio anyway as there are way too many - about 12-15 is a good number and put your very best pieces first because many employers don't look past the first three or four when they are scouting potential artists. Some of the stuff further down is great but it's "buried" right now. Choose your best pieces that represent a good variety and put the rest aside, you can include an optional link to more work if you really want to keep them.

If you can, try to arrange them so the viewer doesn't have to scroll all the way down the page like that - it's really off-putting. Put them in rows of three or four if you can so most of the thumbnails will fit on one screen. You have a much better chance of keeping someone there looking at your work if you don't make them work hard for it and if they can see all the options at a glance. If blogspot doesn't let you do that, there are free simple gallery sites you can use instead which will let you arrange them across the page in a more gallery-like manner.

Both your drawn and modelled environments are great and while there are certainly more modeller jobs out there I think you have a good chance of getting environment concept work too, your work is on a par with a lot of the game and film concept art I've seen.

Good luck!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Birkeley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked your work for the most part. Your strong point is definitely your architectural drawings. Your vehicles are good too. The problem I noticed is when I got farther down your blog you started getting into colored illustrations and some miscellaneous drawings and paintings. I think your color really needs work; it's very muddy and all over the place (I'm referring to your painting, not your 3D stuff). I would take out all the animal/creature drawings for sure. They're not your area of expertise and there's no point letting them weaken your portfolio. (I would drop #s 26 thru 31, and also drop 43 & 44) I'm not a fan of #s 12 & 13 either. 12's environment is okay, but the characters are awful.

I know that some of this might sound harsh, but overall I really did enjoy your portfolio. Good luck!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bgreenart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks again

Your crits are not harsh at all, it actually feels exactly the opposite. Its refreshing to hear objective crits, wish I had more to work from. I do wish I had more knowledge when it comes to applying color, Lots of times I find myself geussing what works best and what does not. To know success, you must first know failure. I work best when surrounded by knowledgeable, objective thinking, creative minds. Probably has to be what I miss about school the most. So thanks again for all of your input, you have given me many things to consider.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be turning 30 soon and I am so far from supporting myself with my art, it ain't even funny! I work at freakin' Dominos!

amr I like what you said here: "I should keep on with my passions, I just fear what it will mean if I do"

All artists feel this exact thing. It takes guts--no doubt about it.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I turned 31 last month. I think I just hit a certain point in my life where I needed to follow my heart and dismiss the negative messages about pursuing a life of art that I've heard since childhood.

"Now punch that laziness in the face!" -Bobby Chiu

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CreativeSage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

same hear

just picked up the "perfect catch", inspiration at its finest.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.