Sketchbook: Rob Liefeld: in the footsteps of a master illustrator
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rob Liefeld: in the footsteps of a master illustrator

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rob Liefeld: in the footsteps of a master illustrator

That's a joke by the way.

I was never interested in art when I was a kid. However when I was a sophomore in highschool I drew noodle people with anime eyes and had no understanding of what I was drawing. I saw other people who could draw, and I wanted to draw like the things I saw on television and in graphic novels. Ive learned to draw exclusively digitally because I used to perceive pencil and paper as inferior to a tablet and a computer. I'm going to be 24 soon, I thought I was improving, learning and understanding. I thought I was getting better and the pace I was setting for myself was good enough to earn myself a place as an illustrator. I want to be a professional illustrator but I feel like I've wasted so much time. I still don't know anything. I feel like time is running out and I'm not so sure anymore that I can catch up to my peers. However, I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it my best shot.

TLDR: How do I succeed at illustration? I still have hope, but its hard feeling like I've done nothing substantial up to this point.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Template88; July 17th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well its clear I need to go back to the basics....just where to start exactly...? This was my study for today, rendering basic shapes. I didn't use a reference just because I wanted to gauge just how awful I am. Well, it looks like its pretty bad, I'm going to do some studies of mugs and cups and other cylindrical still life next, since I seem to be especially weak there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you cylinders and your light and shadow gradients.

Up next, more cylinders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, i think it's never a waste of time, not a total waste... I mean, I've felt the same thing couple of months ago, like nothing I was doing mean anything. And, by looking here in CA, this is the easiest felling you can ever have. There are masters here, no doubt of that! People who trained hard for years.

But anime style has this problem, it's like a recipe, you do this and that and you've got this result. And a lot of people do this for years, just look at deviantart, there are people there that draw the same thing over and over, and never fail to get attention from the other...but is this the real goal? Of course there are good artists there, I'm not saying thats all bullshit... It's just something that i realized.

I'm also not saying that anime is not a good style. My favorite artists are from japanese anime. But they took anime to a new level, and they're always doing something crazy! And it's also my style.

Here in CA, and I'm telling based on my experience only in the sketchbook session, they're focused in knowledge, anatomy, weigh, movement, colors and all. Cause thats really important to an artist in formation, besides it's own style, or talent. If you can understand this importance, and it looks that you've got it, then you are in the right path. Now you just have to sweat.

Not that I am the right person to tell anybody here nothing, i'm just a newbie.

Andrew loomis books, posemaniacs sites, and every photo of people to draw from observation, this is the first step.

This last drawing of yours is very good, nice light and shadows, but i'm felling a lack of darker greys, maybe it's just me.

Good luck, and keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the support Henrique.

Bah. This one did not go so well for me, the first day I was doing this it got deleted due to my stupidity. I'm not sure why this one was so much harder for me than the first one, I worked on this far longer and it is worse.... Going to do some anatomy studies next to change it up and then go back to rendering bottles/cups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel about wasting time, but hey, I'm thirty. I second the recommendation of loomis, if you do a search for loomis pdf you can find them to download for free, and they are great for anatomy. I can already see improvement from your first shapes to the coffee cup, so keep at it. Maybe try some traditional pencil and paper stuff too (says the person who cannot seem to figure out photoshop). Seriously though, your improvement is already apparent, not that I'm qualified to judge or anything. Anyway, keep up with it, I'll keep an eye on your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know exactly how you feel, but you are light years ahead of me. You know what you have to do though, just work hard and study smart. Focus on your weaknesses and put in the hours. Check out mindcandyman's sketchbook if you want some incredible motivation.

My Sketchbook would benefit from your critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I guess I lied about what I said I was going to do. I figure I need to get in tune with proportion before I worry about anatomy, and that's always something I had never really thought much about since I just eyeballed everything. So this is a first....

This is based off of the the chart Loomis made.

I found I could not focus on line quality at all while I was worrying about the measurements of everything.

God this is horrendous, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start of an SB, i think your characters have life and energy and its good to go back to basics! just keep going and you can only get better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much, i guess these are called gesture drawings? I have no idea. Ive been trying to imply weight and make my humans more proportional, i noticed the legs i would usually make would be too short so i'm consciously trying to make them longer.

rumpenstiltzkin thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havn't been dead. Just busy with school and life stuff. No videogames. I promise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start, more anatomy studies will help. Also try and vary your line weight a little more in the ink drawings, that will give your drawings more depth and flow.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective in this one is pretty good. Nice job.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty clean and nice lines, keep up the color studies so that you color follow up, and indeed anatomy studies never killed a man so you know what to do hehe.
    Keep the spirit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got the right idea with those gestures, here are a couple of links for constructive anatomy radhowtos michael hampton I also recommend pecks "atlas of human anatomy for the artist".
    a crit on the sniper girl,
    the drawing is solid but the boots feel like they are in front of the body rather than underneath.
    keep up the good work

Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a dry week, midterms, no studies.

Background practice failed hard when I was an idiot and did a whole bunch of work but forgot to save. I cant bring myself to redo it all again, but it seems worth posting as proof I did something.

Last edited by Template88; May 6th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cup studies are pretty nice and those gesture and anatomy drawings will do you a lot of good. Great start, keep it up man.

₪ "Yes, Gamera is powered by farts." -Roger Ebert ₪

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I havn't been sitting on my hands this whole time, Ive been drawing lots of things, a few highlights, crits always wanted. These are a bit out of order...

No paintings.. should one be doing paintings from time to time despite not understanding the subjects form completely?

Last edited by Template88; May 6th, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, clearly need to study these more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ANOXXX.png
Views: 94
Size:  130.6 KB
    Name:  1.png
Views: 97
Size:  615.3 KBName:  6.png
Size:  222.1 KB
    Ive been drawing alot more in the past year and this year since I've posted, more than I ever have before, which is great. But, there hasnt been alot of drawing from life, or heavy value and anatomy practice. Part of it is because I'm finally getting commissions now, and people seem to want heavily stylized pieces more than any realism. I'm starting to think starting commissions was a poor choice for my development. I'm still trying to understand the logic of light and shadow and getting into hatching and all that fun. I'll post some examples of what I've been doing instead of a giant deluge of a years+ worth of images. These arent in any particular chronological order.Name:  paladinx.png
Size:  66.5 KB
    Name:  champions162000x2000.png
Views: 95
Size:  1.34 MB
    I've been putting off really becoming part of the community here because I havnt felt really worthy but I think I'm over that now and its time for me to apply myself towards realism and network with people I have alot to learn from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  dargonf.png
Views: 95
Size:  113.0 KBName:  spinderella.png
Views: 94
Size:  35.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some really great stuff here You have a really cool style, and have a good understanding of anatomy. That parrot study is my favorite
    I have one piece of advice that I haven't applied to my own art yet but see in professional work. Some of your pieces show some really cool colour choices in the different shades but others are just plainly shaded with a slightly darker tone or lighter. Sycra talks about it here
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJf4e5kAKWg‎
    Not using the direct color you think you should use... giving more of an illusion of colour and atmosphere...

Anyways the thing I think you should do to improve and get that edge to your work is doing studies from painters, of various subject matter, too. Landscapes, etc. I think you are strong in what you have been doing but it is not really challenging you and giving you a wide skill range to work on. You know how to work a character but not build a scene with it, etc. I am not speaking from knowing how to, because these things [and more] are my weak point.

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if there is much practice value in these exercises, but I did a few quick drawings from imagination, and a blending/value study from imagination.
    I dont think it still counts as a study does it. Maybe just masturbation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    masturbation ahahahahaha. Awesome. Cool poses, but you can see the anatomical weirdnesses in the body parts... some leg, shoulders, arms twists and positions that aren't quite right. I like the sad face blendy exercise, nice wise eyes. I like the nose and mouth area a lot. Great planes/volume

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drapery, coloring practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm there are some proportion issues there, unless that was intentional... I love the shading on the bottom of her dress. Although overall maybe it would help to do light studies, fabric studies and such. Just to get the more lifelike feel to it.
    I really love her sword, it is beautifully designed.

sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.