so, 26yr old fuckup wants to go to art school.. possible?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: so, 26yr old fuckup wants to go to art school.. possible?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

so, 26yr old fuckup wants to go to art school.. possible?

Hey guys,

I would like to go to an art school to learn the skill of art, but I have no idea where to begin.

I have no money, education or job.
    What I do have is art, and art is what keeps me going, which is why I'd love to be able to build on top of it, and give myself as much time this life to do as much of it as possible.

Are there good art schools? And would I even be able to get in somehow?
    I read a bit about TAD for example, would that be a possibility?
    How does one go about these things, and how does anyone pay for a school like that?
    I'm dutch and the art schools here are not very good as far as I have seen.
    Which forces me to look elsewhere, but it makes things very difficult and unclear for me.

Here is some old work http://tinyurl.com/6cstz2s is this good enough for art schools?

Anyways, any tips are most welcome..
    Thanks for reading!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kid you not I was about to make the same exact post (I'm 26 also and have no formal art training). Looking at the original posters work, I feel like I have much farther to go to create a scholarship-worthy portfolio. I'm still struggling with basic still life and shading and perspective.

Last edited by darkedge1212; September 16th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Portcullis Productions
    dinnertable.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wi2rd View Post
    Hey guys,

I would like to go to an art school to learn the skill of art, but I have no idea where to begin.

I have no money, education or job.
    The decent schools are out of your price-range. Get a part time job, draw every moment you're not at that job. Repeat until pro.

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's sad that the home of renowned masters like Rembrandt and Vermeer don't have decent art schools. Either that or your just not looking at the right schools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    It's sad that the home of renowned masters like Rembrandt and Vermeer don't have decent art schools. Either that or your just not looking at the right schools.
    Blame modernism.
    Have to go to bleeding Russia these days for a decent education.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Full time job in retail or food, draw in free time ---> 1 to 2 years. Live with your parents or with a roommate if you can. Save money. Do this longer if need be. Use money to study abroad, financial aid of some sort if need be - bigger universities want international students usually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hyskoa's response

I really second what he said, even though I'm attending art school right now.

You can develop PLENTY all by yourself. Learn to become disciplined, create yourself a structured schedule for drawing. Try to spend more time doing life studies (still lifes, portraits, figure drawing , perspective work) than doing imagination things. I'd say 60/40 for the first few months. Lack of self discipline and structure is a real killer for beginners ( I would know about that..). Slap yourself sometimes if you're being overpowered by the urge to quit or getting bored after a mere hour if you have to (half jokingly even though I didn't do that lol).
    And with the power of the internets, you have access to unlimited resources.
    Back to the money though, you will need some money to have access to top tier stuff. Like I personally have been using Gnomon Workshop for the last two years. They have several Online subscription plans. I've been getting the Design/Traditional Plan ($300/yr) for 2 years now. With over 100ish DVDs/tutorials to access at any time I want and always releasing new ones every month or so. Have been worth every penny.
    The Art Department also has a similar online video subscription system. I know that's worth getting as well.

Don't fret over not being able to go to art school.
    Dedication, discipline, structure and passion and some money for supplies will do it for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xensoldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you even consider not going to art school... you need to get your portfolio together and try and submit it to the schools themselves. Who knows, you might even get accepted, and better yet, get money for going.

But regardless, you're already on the path yourself with your portfolio as I see it from CGHub... Just keep working your ass off and you'll get there

(I'm 26 myself and just started art school.)

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im 27 and im in the same situation. My main problem is discipline. How do i become a disciplined person and work on stuff? I am a 3d artist and i heard that some of the best 3d artist (if not all of them) have a traditional drawing background. Dont get me wrong i love to draw. its just that all i do is figure drawing and i know i have to work on other stuff. im telling you i need discipline and i dont know how to be disciplined.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For being in the same situation, I have the exact same problem with discipline. I find drawing by hand (I like working with computers) to be really frustrating, boring, and discouraging. But maybe I can give you some tips that have been helping me.

1) Make a set schedule.
    Act like you're going to school every day, even if you aren't. I have specific hours of the day designated to working on certain skills. 9am - figure, 10am - still life, 11am - perspective, etc.

2) Unplug your internet
    , or better your just keep your computer off the whole day. I find it very distracting and easy to break the flow. Same with texting on my cellphone.

3) Turn on some music.
    Not sure if this works for others, but having music/radio in the background eases the tension and frustration a lot.

4) Use video tutorials.
    There's lots of free and cheap online videos and dvd's that will act like in-class lessons for you. They're a little easier to learn from then books in my opinion.

5) Switch up your mediums.
    . Going from drawing, to painting, to charcoal, etc can sometimes break up the monotony of drawing for hours.

Remember, it takes approximately 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill. That means it would take 10 years of practicing 3 hours a day to become a master in your subject. It would take approximately 5 years of full-time employment to become proficient in your field. So the more hours you put in a day, the less time it will take to be where you want to be.

If anyone has any other discipline tips they use i would love to hear them!

Portcullis Productions
    dinnertable.tumblr.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkedge1212 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guy's.

Thanks allot for all the response
    Sounds like nobody here really knows whats what..

I have been drawing for over 6 years now, where the first 4 I was a professional 3d artist, which ate loads of my time and really blocked the 'artist' in me.
    So I quit to draw/paint full time, and have been doing that ever since, almost 2 years
    now.
    But now I cannot find a job anymore, so I'm washing dishes to survive, but hey all for the arts! going from 3k to 200 bucks a month.. which turned me into a total bum.

I learned a lot though! But I also often find myself trapped not knowing where to go next , or just frustrated like hell cause shit wont work, so I'd love to have a teacher or someone who can keep me on track, soem guidance, someone who says, 'yes that's right, keep doing that' or 'no no, don't do that shit'. Art school seemed like a perfect environment for this. Can't shake the feeling that I could learn so much faster that way, but oh well. I will try to apply for some schools and find out what happens.

Discipline, yes a tough one, it becomes easier with the years, part because of practice/routine, and part because confidence builds up. Though I find myself wanting to jump out of the window quite often..
    Though this is also a combination of me letting my passion for art ruin my life in many ways

If it helps anything seeing you are all 'in the same boat' feel free to ask me anything if you think I might be able to help you in any way.. at least I possibly might be able to unfuck some of you guy's.

Either way, many thanks for the time and effort to reply here

Good luck to you all and of course the thread is still wide open for more talk/information!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To art school with your skills, why? Just finish up your 2D protfolio, do a good 8-10 high quality pieces (take down the rest), and change the font size of the "2D skecthbook" title to the same as the rest on your homepage (as it is a bit confusing right now).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot darkedge and everybody else. those tips do help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <--27 year old fuck up wants to learn 3D and go back to grad school. I don't know about possible or impossible, but dude you draw better than I do and you already know 3D. I don't know if my portfolio will get accepted, or where I'm to find those 3 letters of recommendation from practicing professional artists from, while working in a factory. We all hear the story of how you can learn a lot and be pro without going to art school.

That is true and extremely difficult, and impossible to do alone. You'll need a real life group of supportive people around you, or a really good scanner and internet connection. Strict discipline I believe is another key, and how you get probably varies from person to person. Right now I'm trying the faith route by practicing Tibetan Buddhism, which emphasizes disciplining of self, which could carry over...

To be honest I'm way far behind and below where you are except maybe the job part. I don't know if I'll ever become the artist I want to be at this point.

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ermmm I've never been to art school, and although I graduated in Graphic Design, they don't teach you shite about fine arts. I've been doing it all on my own since before I started university. It's a stupid move to quit a job that nets you 3k a month because it was "blocking the artist in me".

Go back to 3d, I just started 3d myself and it's added so much info to my 2d workflow and how I look at things now.

Plus I live in Lebanon...i.e. shitty internet and shittier electricity and no places to learn what I needed to learn. Yet I still manage to get up to scratch with my art, get freelance work and get accepted in to Art Center.

You have so much that you take for granted it's hilarious. Honestly I think you're just being lazy, and that my friend is "blocking the artist in you"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another 26 year old, non schooled. signing in.

I came to this forum to also inquire about Art School, currently I work full time in I.T. to pay the bills, draw at lunch, then when i get home in the evening. The only thing i am careful of is resisting the temptation to get better pay from more work responsibilities (ie; less me time)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ever see Logan's Run? Basically it's a movie that tells you young people are stupid and they suck.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.