IOW #4 - MtG: Even the Odds - Voting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kitten Poker

5 6.76%
  • RBeek

25 33.78%
  • Artfix

28 37.84%
  • Crowsrock

5 6.76%
  • Gadbury

29 39.19%
  • Zimfin

5 6.76%
  • Hideyoshi

18 24.32%
  • Revolution77

41 55.41%
  • Bishop Six

6 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following

IOW #4 - MtG: Even the Odds - Voting

Poll is up! It's multivote so you can pick more than one favourite!

Finals with a border and two WIPs go here please!

Deadline: Sunday 18th of September, 23:59 GMT

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; September 19th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIPs
    Name:  Even the OddsWIPs.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  91.0 KB

Final ^_^ Thanks to artfix for your help ^_^
    Name:  IOW004kittenpoker.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  202.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my final and wip image for the even the odds topic

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round. Ty everyone for the help. Including wips and an image of the actual card size. Does it not matter what we name our file?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my contribution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't finish mine to the level I would have liked but here it is - Great work from everyone so far

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round and excellent entries. Thanks for the challenge folks.

Last edited by zimfin; September 18th, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: not satisfied with previous image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    + 1

Name:  EventheOdds_final_s.JPG
Views: 1093
Size:  268.1 KB

Name:  wips_s.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  121.2 KB

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not quite the full render and care I would like, but deadline is deadline. Excellent work everyone!

Name:  IOW#4_Revolution77.jpg
Views: 5009
Size:  461.3 KB
    Name:  WIPS.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  389.8 KB
    Name:  Card-MOCK1.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  164.3 KB

Last edited by Revolution77; September 18th, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

Denman Rooke
    Concept Art & Illustration
    DenmanRooke.com

CA Sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Revolution77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up. Great round guys and gals

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits

impressive stuff guys, i was impressed with all the entrys.

kitten poker cool entry, you sold the fact that the warrior has guardians helping them well as so it reads well overall. I think the areas which could use some work are your values and choice of lighting. Its all very high key and there are few dark areas which are making your forms look flat. Also because of this the overall composition is suffering, leaving no focal areas for the eye to rest on. Despite this, this is still a solid entry, good job

RBeek Awesome guardians dude, you did well to sell these as fearsome warriors yet spiritual guardians at the same time. This could just be my personal preference but i prefer the WIP in the middle which doesnt have the pink/purple light shining on them. I think its too overpowering and draws attention away from the focus at the bottom of the page which is the dead guy. This being said it would have been cool to have spent a little more time and attention to the dead guy because at the mo he looks sketchy and doesnt fit with the rest of the image. Finally, i think that blue light coming from below would affect their armour more than it is in your image, would have been cool to play around abit more with that. Hope this helps.

artfix One of my favourite entrys, you executed the brief well and managed to create solid story telling through your composition. Also lovin the spiritual effect you got off those knights. I think my main, and probably only problem here is that it looks like these knights have just killed him rather than guarding him. I think a possible way to overcome this would be to set one of the knights in front of the dead warrior to further indicate hes protecting him, or not show him as dead but wounded. Also, this is prity petty but i just noticed, hes got arrows in his back, meaning he was shot from behind, yet the knights are guardin his front. Still cool illustration and you got my vote, nice one.

crowsrock Nice entry man, love the amount of detail you've put into this. The biggest problem here is your composition doesnt flow well and its tough to read. Because all the warriors have such extreme whites and blacks on the armour theres no area for the eye to rest. This is due to the values being off and there being no clear lighting source. Also its tough to see the wounded guy because he got the same values and armour as the guardians making the guardians just look like normal soldiers rather than holy protectors.

gadbury Awesome as usual dude, wouldnt expect anything less coming from yourself. Awesome use of colour and composition. Also you sold the spiritual guardian aspect of the brief well. Not sure what to crit here, your skill level far exceeds mine so its prity tough to judge lol. Perhaps just more polish and tidying up in focal areas but its cool regardless. Got my vote.

zimfin Nice illustration, you took an original approach which is cool and i love how you sold the guardians as being spiritual, almost like they have been summoned into existance. I think the guardians might be a little bright and because of this the values are getting confusing. Surely if this much light was coming of the guardians it would affect the guy in the background. A smaller crit might also be that you could have been abit more adventurous with your colours. There abit dull at the mo but the values are key before any colour.

hideyoshi cool illustration with a nice polish. The perspective and rendering is awesome. Biggest problem here is it doesnt read well in relation to the brief. Looks like these guys have just destroyed that guy at the bottom rather than protected him. I think the colours you used also havent helped with this as they look like bad ass enemy warriors rather than siritual guardians.

revolution77 I think your entry fits the brief perfectly and you really captured the spiritual guardian element well. Not only this but its style fits a magic card too and i like that you added your entry onto the card, shows that you took all elements of the brief on board and tackled them well. No crit here sorry, part from perhaps more polish around the injured soldier and ground area. Still awesome, got my vote.

bishop six Cool take on the topic, i like the composition and the armour. Main crits here are perhaps more polish around areas of focus because it looks kinda muddy at the moment. Also they guy below them looks like hes been stabbed by the warriors. Still a cool illustration though, good job.

Hope these helped folks, sorry if they didnt =S.

peace

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits, puppet. I wish I had been able to spend more time on it. I'll just have to polish it up for my own satisfaction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gadbury
    lovely style, as always
    I really like the dynamic, something I am missing in some of the other entries

revolution77
    I liked your sketchy first version
    and I LOVE your finished version

since I was busy after our little argument in the wips thread I missed all the progress after the sketchy version, but wow, it turned out pretty awesome, got my vote

it was really close between you two but the reason for revolution77 was that his illustration is working better at small scale than gadbury's does
    as this is something every MTG artist has to keep in mind revolution77 got my vote this round

Oh and I know this was a multivote but this time they are all comparable and rev was clearly the best imo :>

Last edited by sevira; September 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artfix got my vote: The composition is engaging! Putting that horizon like on a slant and placing the dead solder face down in the foreground without dominating the composition. Plus, those are clearly soldiers, and not knights(In MTG terms). Love the treatment of the armor, and the colors in the background. I think it all reads nicely on a small scale and clearly gets the idea across. My only complaint is the soldier on the left- I'm really not getting a sense that there's a dude under his tunic. There should be more of an indication of where his knee is, or some kind of anatomy there; flattens the piece out a bit.

revolution77: Awesome entry; The separation of the fore and mid ground with that dark orange/ light yellow is very nice! Tonally it's lovely as well. I have to admit there's a certain amount of contrast in the early stages that was missing for me in the final. Maybe just personal preference. Also: there's a helmet in the bottom left corner that looks really awkward to me.. like it's floating or something. I see that theres supposed to be a dark rock or something in front of it, but there needs to be more overlap. It's doing some kind of weird tangent thing where it looks mis-drawn until closer inspection. ANyways just some nitpicks. Inspiring work!

Great work everyone!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ChromaticCodex For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.