Critiques very much wanted (various projects)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critiques very much wanted (various projects)

Hey there all, I'm trying desperately to put my portfolio for visual development together and to improve as quick as possible.

I was hoping I could get some critique on this maybe?

It's a possible character design for a character I've made.

Any critiques on my digital painting abilities would be very much welcomed as well. It was made mostly in photoshop, but I did use some painter as well.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DDar; October 5th, 2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: The more than one project is being posted here, so I thought I should change the description
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems to be a sketch for a finished work... the first thing to do is to refine some parts of your painting, as the shadow cast by the belt on his vest. The shark's back and tail are darker due to the lower incidence of light. The left fin of the shark must have the shadow cast by the sleeve more darker than the natural shade, in addition, inside of the sleeve the shadow must also be darker. Usually, leather clothes are bright points of light which reaches directly to clothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try strengthening the bounce light just a little, to the extent that it helps define the downwards-facing planes on the shark's snout.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the tips given above. I would like to see this with more refinement (inline with what paulo was saying). Give some love to the stitch work on the vest and the patern you are creating on the bandana. I think keeping them as simple lines as you flesh this out will be an eye sore to a great concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pauloricardo View Post
    it seems to be a sketch for a finished work... the first thing to do is to refine some parts of your painting, as the shadow cast by the belt on his vest. The shark's back and tail are darker due to the lower incidence of light. The left fin of the shark must have the shadow cast by the sleeve more darker than the natural shade, in addition, inside of the sleeve the shadow must also be darker. Usually, leather clothes are bright points of light which reaches directly to clothing.
    Ouch, a just a sketch?
    I've spent so much time on it... I guess I must be worse than I thought...

Anyways, I'll work on all the stuff listed here. I promise I'll post updates soon!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DDar View Post
    Ouch, a just a sketch?
    I've spent so much time on it...
    Well, I dare to say it's more about how you use that time...

It's a possible character design for a character I've made.
    Anyway, mentions about refining the painting have been done, but I'd consider this bit more...
    Is it deliberate that you've given the shark these goofy cartoon clothes and stylized and simple cartoon body, but then this "gritty", evil and wrinkly/fat rolled "imma fuken kill you" head? Because they could flow together bit better or be exaggerated more. If you want it to be an evil shark in goofy clothes, then make the body follow the details of the head, but if you want to to be a goofy cartoon shark in goofy clothes, then put the head to the same level of simplicity as the body but if you actually want it to be what it looks like now, and evil faced shark with goofy clothes and body, then you might actually want to exaggerate the cartoonyness of the body/clothes even bit more and do the same for the grittier parts of the head too, to make your intention clear.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, I dare to say it's more about how you use that time...
    Very true. I try to be efficient though... I spend a good amount of time deciding on my basic color palette and blocking in the colors and then after it's completely blocked in I proceed to blend and tweak. I guess I'm missing something.

Anyway, mentions about refining the painting have been done, but I'd consider this bit more...
    Is it deliberate that you've given the shark these goofy cartoon clothes and stylized and simple cartoon body, but then this "gritty", evil and wrinkly/fat rolled "imma fuken kill you" head? Because they could flow together bit better or be exaggerated more. If you want it to be an evil shark in goofy clothes, then make the body follow the details of the head, but if you want to to be a goofy cartoon shark in goofy clothes, then put the head to the same level of simplicity as the body but if you actually want it to be what it looks like now, and evil faced shark with goofy clothes and body, then you might actually want to exaggerate the cartoonyness of the body/clothes even bit more and do the same for the grittier parts of the head too, to make your intention clear.
    The character is meant to be the sole law-man of his town. I wanted to play on the transformation the Great White's face does when he goes from regular swim mode to attack mode. You know, his jaw becomes more prominent since it stretches forward and he becomes several times more scary? However, when the shark is regularly just swimming it looks really derpy, you know?

I wanted to go with that, making it so that when there's a threat, or when action needs to be taken he can appear to be a very competent force, however when he's regularly strolling about he can look as kindly as any shark could.
    However, I wanted the clothes to reflect his overall alignment, which is why I made them be in lighter shades.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, his jaw becomes more prominent since it stretches forward and he becomes several times more scary?
    But where did all the muscles came to his forehead? I don't think sharks even have muscles there that could do something like that. I mean, exaggeration, yes, but this is a shark here.
    Name:  redlineshark.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  44.0 KB
    And it's not as much about him looking scarier, but him looking scarier in the realms of the style you have constructed him in. If the head starts to look like it's taken from a completely different image, it generally means your style isn't unified. It's not necessarily bad, many cartoons use that to put on some extra punch to the scene, but in my opinion it's not really working in this image which is all we have of this character here.

Last edited by TinyBird; September 15th, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But where did all the muscles came to his forehead? I don't think sharks even have muscles there that could do something like that. I mean, exaggeration, yes, but this is a shark here.
    Name:  redlineshark.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  44.0 KB
    And it's not as much about him looking scarier, but him looking scarier in the realms of the style you have constructed him in. If the head starts to look like it's taken from a completely different image, it generally means your style isn't unified. It's not necessarily bad, many cartoons use that to put on some extra punch to the scene, but in my opinion it's not really working in this image which is all we have of this character here.
    The muscles on his forehead were meant as a sort of a slight anthromorphication to help convey his mood better. I get where what you're saying though, I took it too far and it looks disjointed. And really appreciate the overpainting you did by the way. It's all variations on the hard round brush, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all variations on the hard round brush, right?
    Hard round brush with "Other Dynamics" on, yup.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, simply because it actually amazes my meagre skills... i only do quick ones still anyway...
    I really love the colours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have an update for the previous image at the moment but since it's part of a series of images for my portfolio I thought I wasn't sure if other images of the same series as it should get their own threads or not.

So yeah, I'm gonna play it safe and just stick to one thread.

Anyways, with this one I tried to go for a more simplified style. Like that of Mary Blair.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited by DDar; October 2nd, 2011 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colours don't really convey that the sharks would be further away from each other.
    There's more water between the front and last shark, so I'd expect the last one to be darker/lighter or more blue-ish in shades. http://www.reefnews.com/reefnews/new...6/sharks1.html

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colours don't really convey that the sharks would be further away from each other.
    There's more water between the front and last shark, so I'd expect the last one to be darker/lighter or more blue-ish in shades. http://www.reefnews.com/reefnews/new...6/sharks1.html
    I was wondering how much I should play with the whole water thing. In that one I thought I'd sort of make them underwaterish colors, but make them all the same colors to make the image as graphic as possible.

But I can see what you mean when you say it kills depth. What do you think about this version? Better? Worse?

Last edited by DDar; October 2nd, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another project I'm working on. It's about a duo of Bear and Rat detectives who discover and stop the final Bear-baiting ring in England.

This particular piece is obviously a WIP, but I'd love to hear your comments before I proceed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumping for critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the characters, but I'd be careful with the tunnel you're creating. My eye kind of follows the road back into the distance and never comes back. I would try to incorporate some visual interest back there in addition to the clouds to send the viewers eye back up to the bear's cape.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay! I finally got the time to go back to my shark! I got a bit done yesterday and I'll be working on it pretty much all through today. I want to have it finished by the end of the day so that I can show it at CTN.
    What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I like these and think they have a lot of life to them, i think what people meant by 'sketch' is simply refinement of the lines. Neat finished outlines/shapes do wonders for any style of art. Rough lines make people think you're unsure of the finished product, or they don't know exactly what the thing is cos in our heads when we (artists) draw we are imagining the finished thing and the art represents an interpretation of that, but the viewer doesn't know what we were imagining so we have to make it clear for them.
    Again i think the concepts are great the cartoon shark (although the double fin is a bit confusing) and the bear and rat are great ideas. So just neat clear outlines and shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonysmith View Post
    So I like these and think they have a lot of life to them, i think what people meant by 'sketch' is simply refinement of the lines. Neat finished outlines/shapes do wonders for any style of art. Rough lines make people think you're unsure of the finished product, or they don't know exactly what the thing is cos in our heads when we (artists) draw we are imagining the finished thing and the art represents an interpretation of that, but the viewer doesn't know what we were imagining so we have to make it clear for them.
    Again i think the concepts are great the cartoon shark (although the double fin is a bit confusing) and the bear and rat are great ideas. So just neat clear outlines and shapes.
    Ugh, I really need to work on my outlines. I have trouble sharpening up my digital paintings for some reason... I mean, I'm better at it than I used to be, but I'm still nowhere near as good as I should be...

I kept working on it, and did a second version of the face to better convey the fact that he's not a villain. Still would like to hear what you guys have to say, but this is the version I had to get printed to show at CTN. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a shark is always scary, be it good or bad.

ya need to add more life to your character, right now it looks like he's in a stiff jacket

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rapxic View Post
    a shark is always scary, be it good or bad.

ya need to add more life to your character, right now it looks like he's in a stiff jacket
    I disagree. I think sharks are funny looking when they're not in attack mode.

May I ask what part looks stiff? Is it the vest, or both the shirt and the vest? Any other things I should work on to give him more life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey
    have a look at this for inspiration and a how to type of thing, its "browns sketchbook of assorted randomness". If you have the time go from end to end its well worth the trouble mate honestly.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=208451&page=3

oddly enough this page has a hammerhead shark in a suit, see great minds think alike eh!!?
    all the best matey

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1