Sketchbook: aspiring digital artist!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: aspiring digital artist!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face aspiring digital artist!

I'm not sure if I belong here--my digital art is all hobby right now and (in my opinion) mediocre at best. I'll be updating when I can, with digital pieces and with traditional works from my college courses. Here's a quick bio.

Name: Dana
    Influences: Japanese Pop art and comics, western painting
    Where I am Artistically: Going to college for art and struggling to find my 'niche' or my 'style.' I'm taking drawing and composition this semester (fall 2011), so I am practicing drawing from life although when drawing for myself I almost always draw from imagination. I'm very dissatisfied with my work as it is and want to continue improving.

I'm afraid I don't belong here, I look at everyone else's sketchbooks and they all look so creative and refined. My work is all over the place, and never as well composed as I want. But i'm hoping by putting myself out here like this I will see drastic improvements. Here are some of my 'best' works so far. I started working digitally this june.

Thanks for looking, and reading!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome and good job starting a SB

Everyone is always welcome! I'm a lot more unorganised and unskilled myself and manage a sketchbook haha

keep it up and post more!

My Sketch Book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3085866

Please comment+critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the SB forums! You definitely have a place here, I (as well as a lot of other people) am learning to paint digitally as well. As for your own style, just keep it up! It will come to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a few sketches from this week

these are all sketches I did in my free time in the past couple of days.
    i have some large drawings for my class but haven't had a moment to take pictures of them. I think they're a bit more impressive than these, but either way!

the first was some stress relief, the second is a sailor moon doodle, but i liked the line work going on in it (also, they just reprinted the series in english!), and the last is a simple character design.

i'd like to do some loose, gestural paintings as a start into digital painting, but i find painting so intimidating (traditional and digital... but more so digital. I have some experience with traditional painting so it isn't as intimidating). Anyway, digital painting suggestions, tutorials, articles, references, etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

long time without an update

life is hectic, but here's some artwork (actually, i've started to question if what i do can really be called art ._.) some stuff for my drawing class this semester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my poor neglected sketchbook

Well, haven't posted here in ages. I'm enrolled in an anatomy course this semester, and hope to get some of my studies from class photographed and uploaded. In the mean time, here are some drawings and things that have accumulated since the last time I posted.

First three are from my figure drawing class last semester, the middle was a study for a painting (which didn't turn out, unfortunately) and next two are some older personal sketches, the last two are more recent works. Last is a WIP of course.

This is all I have right now, but I would appreciate some digital painting tips or tutorials if you can recommend anything. Also, input on the style of the digital works. I'm trying to move away from anything too 'anime' but I feel like I always fall back into it when drawing on my own. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've been gone for like a year or something, but no sense in starting a new sketchbook! here are some highlights from the past year. maybe I can post weekly in this sketchbook for a bit?

I've been messing with how I stylize my figures a lot. I took a really awesome anatomy for artists class, but none of my work from that has been photographed. Maybe I'll do that next week, and post some of those? I think taking that class gave me a lot of confidence to experiment. I'm not saying my anatomy is great, or anything, it's very much simplified, but every little bit of knowledge helps.

Feel free to provide feedback on anything you particularly like or dislike. if you have no strong feelings about the work, that can be helpful input, too.

i'm still not much of a painter, more of a draftsman. On the one hand I'm pretty ok with that, but I would like to be able to incorporate color and do some more painterly work. I'm also still too focused on figures and need to expand my knowledge to environments and interiors.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

this week...

I think this is all I want to share this week. It's a test page for a comic I've been thinking about. I've got a few pages of concept art for the characters, and a few pages of writing as well. The character designs are all over the place because I'm still not totally sure what I want. Still fun to draw, though.

Name:  2013-09-27-kel-and-madame.png
Views: 37
Size:  307.4 KBName:  2013-09-kel-and-seraphina.png
Views: 31
Size:  235.5 KBName:  2013-09-seraphina-concepts.png
Views: 33
Size:  200.9 KBName:  2013-09-18-kel-sketches.png
Views: 34
Size:  158.8 KBName:  2013-09-19-seraphina.png
Views: 30
Size:  242.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

missed a week

not much to show for the last 2 weeks; been working on some sticker designs to sell and also got a new job and am going through some pretty tiring and time consuming training.

Members who have read this thread: 2