Sketchbook: JThierba's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: JThierba's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JThierba's Sketchbook

Hello everyone. My name is Jason and I live in the USA. I need to get myself motivated and have finally decided to start posting my sketchbook. Anyway, I'm not getting any younger and I still dream of being an artist. Here goes...

Updates are at the end of the thread.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jthierba; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured that my phone took decent pictures, so here is a big dump from my present sketchbook. The two at the end are from the past couple of days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, nice start

Are you attending to some kind of course, or shool? If not taking some drawing lessons can be a great way not only to get better in drawing, but also to motivate yourselph for work - simply because when you pay for something you can; 1 use it as much as possible, or 2 feel dumb = so most probably you will work a lot, and achieve some good progres.

I can also advice to try some different formats, like 50X70, 100X70 (hate these one, but its usefull format) etc. or paint a bit with acrylic or oils - even just to get burned inside, and remain motivated.

Everyone of us, who dreamt about being artist needs to work everyday, and its soo easy to get burned out... So try to avoid it, and keep drawing and uploading

Ah, also don't forget to put link to your sketchbook into your signature - it will gives you a lot more viewers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tsabu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff so far .
    My best advice would be to work on your line control. Right now you've got a bit of a heavy hand. If your able to work with controlled lines it's much easier to build up your drawing without things getting muddy and dark.
    The simplest way is to just draw lots of lines. Try to control their direction and their intensity. I'll post an example below.
    I do these on the subway, or if I'm watching tv or on the phone. It seems silly but works .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsabu
    Thanks very much for your comments! I have been drawing off and on for years, but have never given it the attention it deserves. I went to school for graphic design and had some drawing classes as well as drawing alot in high school, but it was never developed the way that I would have liked. I'm going to try and do a little bit each day for at least an hour and more if I have the time. I'm married and have a daughter, who loves drawing as well and she is a big motivator for me. I have also been looking into taking more classes at a local university.

I've always loved the classical way of drawing and the works of the masters.
    I think I'm going to start doing some the cast drawings and try to get through the Bargue drawing course. I have also been going through the Villpu manual.

Rhubix
    Thanks! Yeah, that is what I need to work on the most. I hate the fact that everything comes out so heavy handed. I just need to keep at it. Thanks again!

Last edited by jthierba; September 21st, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These first 4 images are from a few years ago

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now back to my regularly scheduled sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some things I've been working on lately. I picked up the Ani Art Academy Waichulis dvd and have been going through a lot of the pressure exercises and they seem to be helping.

The drummer in the first drawing is a friend of mine and has been a great drumming influence for most of my life. I've been thinking of doing some drawings of local drummers to fuse my love of music and kickstart me back into drawing more. I know there are some proportion issues and the drums are too small, but it was a good experience. Critique away and thanks for looking.

Last edited by jthierba; October 17th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study i did for the Paul Ruben/Da Vinci version of The Battle of Anghiari. It has always been one of my favorite drawings and I'm glad to be done with it. I should have gridded it out instead of freehanding it. Done on Bristol plate since it was all I had at the time.

I'm going to try and do a study in between a personal piece while still keeping a sketchbook. I just finished my old sketchbook and started a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.