Thoughts please?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Thoughts please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thoughts please?

Hey everyone still in the process of finishing this, was wondering if you had any thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her eye line is tilted, and the eyes themselves are different sizes. I'd expect them to recede in perspective if her face was turned more, but it looks awkward here.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It generally looks good! I like the color choices overall, although the head blends into the background a little bit. Punching up the contrast in certain areas might help draw your eye to the focal point, or putting a few other colors in the mix - either in the face or in the background to distinguish the two from each other.

Also, I think that her shoulders are a little narrow in relationship to her head... Generally the shoulders are about 3 heads wide, although often they are drawn thinner in certain styles.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Practice structural drawing, and study human anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this is supposed to be in your own style or be anatomically correct, but this is assuming the latter:

I think the color and setup is very nice, but you might want to consider changing the nose and mouth. They look a bit anime-esque and small in relation to her head. Cite some references. They look a bit high on her face as well, but that could be intentional. The fleshy contours of her face aren't very clear either, so focus on shadows around the corners of her mouth and nose. Her lips are a bit off and while her eyes are done pretty well, but they seem a bit dead to me.

I'm not sure if linking to other images is allowed (if not I'll happily remove them) but these tutorials that have helped me in the past, hope the same to you.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs29/f/20...e_by_Edana.jpg
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs30/f/20..._by_AURORY.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Akharnon View Post
    Generally the shoulders are about 3 heads wide, although often they are drawn thinner in certain styles.
    Three heads? That seems awfully wide, especially for a female. I believe 2 heads, 2 1/2 for someone with muscular shoulders, is more typical. Certainly that's been true of the life drawing models I've had experience with.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's true, 3 heads is pretty wide, and females tend to have narrower shoulders. That's what my teacher told me. *shrug* You're probably right though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, I'll have a stab at this. I made a quick paintover that isn't the greatest, but here's hoping that a pair of extra eyes will help.

Firstly, the eyes ought to be roughly halfway up on the head, so you need to lower them a bit. They're also smaller than you've drawn them (a good way to gauge the size of eyeballs is simply to feel your own. It's pretty hard to tell this from pictures, in my opinion). I think the colour of your eyes here needs a bit of work too, the iris and sclera are very similar in value and hue. Having such a dark eye white makes her look a bit reptilian...

The nose, in my opinion, should just be a bit bigger and fuller. And you've left the right half of the chin in shade, which makes it looks like it's receding a lot, so I thought a smudge of light on that side would help with the volume.

Importantly, I think your understanding of the mouth of a bit lacking; it's not just the lips that dip into the face to form the mouth, that shape is made by a larger area. It's easily visible on sculpture with a high contrast lighting: link. The corners are well defined pits, that render darkly, and the upper area points a bit downwards (and is thus darker), while the lower points upwards (and receives light). I realise this is a rather vague description, I can make a picture if you want.

(Edit: Now actually with an image)

Last edited by Zwebbie; September 13th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zwebbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on whether your using head-widths or head-heighths. Proportions are usually measured with the height of the head and fractions of that. If you were using the width of the head, then maybe the shoulders would be three "heads" wide.

There's no structure in this face. No cheekbones, no eye sockets, no facial muscles, none of the forms around the nose and mouth. It looks like you're showing the same amount of both sides of the face, which only happens in a front view, but this is not a front view. The proportions are all off, the eyes should be halfway vertically between the bottom of the chin and the top of the skull (not the hair), your nose is WAY too small. The neck and shoulder's don't fit the head.

The eyes really need redrawing. Eyes are Never Pointed on the ends!!! Maybe in a profile view you might see something like that, but never from a front view. The whites of the eyes are actually too dark and if they are in shadow, why do they have highlights? The eyes are too far open, the iris should be overlapped by the upper lid at least. The pupils are highly constricted, which makes her look like a vampire. The dark shadows under the eyes make her look like she's been crying for a while AND she has two black eyes.

Why the purple skin?

The background is too light. Those highlights against the dark side of the hair draw attention away from the face.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The open eyes aren't really a problem (an eye could be much more open in normal circumstances, if I look into the mirror (it makes my eye slightly more open than usual I guess but still far from my surprised look), I see white everywhere around my irises ) but the eyes are somewhat odd and creepy, Mr. Corlan wrote about it. They remind me of red eyes because that's when the eyeball are much darker than usually. It great you didn't give her bright white eyeballs but it's too much...
    The biggest problem was mentioned already: it lack structure. It's not a human head, it's a doll, a mask or something like that. Even if proportions and eye angle would be good, it just would be a better doll. Study face planes, this head is way too round and simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the wonderful feedback everyone, doing some studies today and see what I can do with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope I'm on a better track

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you've succeeded in making it uncanny enough that I am willing to forgive the structural flaws now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zwebbie: Thanks for the paint over! Made what you were saying much more clear to me. Ill do a lip study before continueing.

More work, fight the feeling that you want it done foreverer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the overall mood you are going for, but to me, the face still needs work.

It looks a little better in your update, but I still feel the eyes are too high up and the nose a little to thin. Also, the planes of the face are still reading a little flat.

Also, I think it was mentioned before, but the shoulders are looking too narrow for a head her size.

I did a redline and paint over, I hope it can be of help helpful. Im feeling the neck is still a little long, but that could be an aesthetic thing.

Keep at it!

EZpaint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ezpaint helped alot!

More work, think im done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far!

In terms of the chest, is it oriented towards the viewer or towards our left? The black strap on the leftmost shoulder should be oriented more to the left to imply leftward positioning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest moving the mouth (and probably the jaw along with it) sliiightly upwards and to the left. I'd also venture to say that her left cheek is too round. Her chest/collarbone area looks unfinished, too, maybe you could add some work there.

Other than that, I quite like it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.