Sketchbook: XIIXXI | 3 until 30

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIIXXI | 3 until 30

Hi! I turn 27 today. It is time to take this seriously. In three years I'll be 30. Those years will make a difference!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

At the end of the first day..

I'll start of with some sketches and doodles from the last two weeks. A lot of faces and heads there. That's bad. I always do heads and faces. Let's make a LOT more environments these following updates. Be it rough layouts, thumbs or polished work.

The rule is a timeless classic: Draw each day. Either a single piece or continue a WIP. Update once a week. Read advice and criticism. Accept bruising of pride. Repeat.

Attached Images Attached Images      

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2ma2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! Really like the stylised faces and the coloured studies also - keep it up! Like you've already said, drawing everyday is a great plan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesom sketchbook! Those sketches look really great. I would also end up drawing so many faces it was not funny, but now am slowly moving away from them. Looking forward to see more of your works

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIIXXVIII : 27 years and 7 days

@adelanta, @jdem: Thanks for stopping by and providing encouragement!

XIIXXVIII : 27 years and 7 days.

This week has been exploring different means to produce perspective aids. I usually fudge up "analogue" sketches with vanishing points lying not only outside of the paper, but sometimes outside of the room. Thus I wanted to fiddle around a bit with the tools provided within our digital world.

My tools are all open-source: Inkscape, GIMP and MyPaint.

1) Made a fairly nondescript façade with vectors, abused is as a raster image with a perspective tool and reverse engineered the vanishing points with vectors again. As you can see, one of them is only visible for me when zooming to 2% or so. Gngh! Then I slapped some colour onto it the next day, and rendered it some more the following. I will probably finish this one, but I forced myself to leave it since rendering wasn't part of my ambition for the week. The roof parts need much more love, so does the effects of the intense blue lights.

2) This time I used a native 3d-box rendering tool within my vectors program. It was a nice way to build up more complex jitters of a city-scape, but if I work like this, I might as well model it properly instead in Blender or equivalent.

3) Put down some effort to model properly in "2d", using old fashioned rules for defining and using vanishing points. It quickly turned into a clusterf**k of lines. Did some tidying and made a basis to paint onto. About the same process as the first image above, but it started to drift off. Put the initial construct ontop and realised that I've rendered myself away from the guide, and that the guide itself had quite a lot of errors as well.

Alright, thankfully I have a full set of vanishing points to return to and repair this mess. Also, I realised that I have about 4 different lightsources in this piece. But I liked the overall feel of it, so as no 1 above, I think I'll finish this as well.

---

Feeling quite heavy-headed and sleepy. September has struck with all it's might. Come death and despair, let nature die and winter provide a solemn crypt for her remains. I got a 16-year old single malt from my dad last Sunday, so I'll cope for a while

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2ma2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIIXXXVI : 27 years and 15 days

Nothing digital this week. Mostly just sketching, with or without reference. Fell of the wagon there for a while, but all those faces are done with referential images, so it's not entirely abysmal.

2 valuable lessons learnt however:

1) Don't sketch again with "stuff I dug out of the cupboard". Stop by a stationary supplier today and buy some new pencils. There were a reason I didn't keep them out in the first place.
    2) The gamma of my monitor is shot to hell. Bad. And there's not much I can do with tweaking the graphics card output. Yay.

The entire Saturday and Sunday was spent with a brush in hand, albeit on a ladder. It's a bit of an abstract piece. I call it "Preserving my childhood home". No photos, though. No camera at my mums place

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2ma2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIXIII : 27 years and 22 days

More good ol' fashion sketching this week, as well as "slightly" more polished concepts. I've joined the third instalment of an anthology-project featuring erotic comics, and the last two images is me experimenting with the visual concepts for that. The first features a much more vivid and expressive inking, but is not particularly benefited by the grey shades. In fact it kills the image. The other is inked very restrictively instead, relying on the different values to define and communicate, but will undoubtedly be much more mellow if I don't push up the contrast A LOT, or compose the images with a much more dynamic perspective.

Thus far, not much to warrant the NSFW-tag. I think I'll leave that be for now.

The final ink of that first piece is quite far away from the initial sketch, being covered in white and black ink, back and forth for quite some while. Sketches, albeit very detailed, seldom becomes more than a general suggestion when I create the actual lineart. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing

I don't trust the gamma of my screen ONE bit. Hopefully, the grey shades are not entirely off the wall. Right now, I seem fairly balanced, but the things that looked god damn awful on some mainstream monitors STILL look reasonable on this one. That doesn't seem like a good sign. Sigh... patience... not much time left until salvation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIXXI: 27 years and one month

This week has been failure and procrastination. I've mostly worked with script-writing back and forth, and read up on latex make-up techniques for my sisters birthday-masquerade last weekend. But I also know that I've had time to just sit down and doodle, and for the most time, I did not.

The only thing of actual value I could show is these four infernals. I often limit myself to a specific theme, or a set of symbols, archetypes or whatever I find amusing and challenging at the moment. I do this to spur my creativity. In the end, they appear as nothing but lame inside jokes, if they remain visible at all. These four gentlemen is actually representations of the letters Y, M, C and A. I sat on the bus home and found myself humming on the Village People-classic, and thought about how they represented the letters visually with gestures within the dance. And then I decided to make whole body concepts out the characters instead. No setting, no genre, just the letters and whatever I could make out of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    make every second count! keep it uuuup!

awesome sketches on this last update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way you draw! It's so stylish
    I would really like to see some bigger work from you ^^

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

XIXXXIII: 27 years, one month and 12 days

@Aragah: Thanks for the encouragement!
    @Alantyn: Thank you! Let's see if I can present something in a bigger scale to satiate your desire...

Ok, so I get a call from my mum, who's been working as a pre-school teacher all her life, and now work supporting specific pupils at first grade. She works with a boy that shows symptoms of ADD and other impulse control related issues, and he likes to draw, so she's been mentioning me and my line of work. And now she wonders if she can mail me a drawing and a letter from the guy. What I receive is this awesome collection of depictions of his favourite "motives", and a humble request if I could draw something of them as well. How could I say no to that?

So, it's basically: ninjas, superheroes, mummies, monsters, hockey and everything about space and space-travel. So I made some initial sketches, trying to get a feel for the iconic features and then mash them together.

Also, a bit of sketching focusing on poses that requite foreshortening, and a documentation of my pathetic and frustrating lack of paper last week

Last edited by 2ma2; October 23rd, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Second attachment corrupt. Removed and reattached.

Members who have read this thread: 1