Thanks

Can't find figure drawing / open life model classes anywhere

Hi,
    I attended art college this past year (sheridan) from around the beginning of september until a couple of weeks ago.

While my program was running I attended 2-3 open life classes a week. (instructor-less figure drawing that ran in 3 hour blocks nightly)

I moved home for the summer and I can't find anything like that in my city... despite the fact of it being home to two universities and a college (waterloo Canda)... you'd think there would be figure drawing of some sort.

I think I'm going to go into withdrawel, because life-drawing was a huge part of my practice habits, and I don't want to be rusty when I start illustration in september.

Is there something I"m not considering? I've tried finding local art classes/workshops but there's rarely anything beyond drawing BASICS, etc..... most of the art classes I found out existed in this city are small little operations run out of some dude's basement studio or like... print making for kids.

Any artists in the KW area that know of available life-drawing classes or are in the same sistuation as me?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    yeah...ask a local to sit for you. go to the hardware store get some 2x4's and some plywood and build a model stand..STURDY...put about four blankets on top of it....get a clamp light and some tungsten bulbs...turn on the lights...put the model up...and draw.

ten bucks an hour and you are good to go.

j

Thanks
    yeah man, grab your sister/brother/mum/dad/freind to model for you. they dont have to be naked or anything ^-^ it would be good practice for drawing cloth folds and stuff.

good luck ^-^

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Hmmmm, allright. thanks.

I don't really have the money to pay someone, but I'll see what a friend can do .....

Thanks
    cartoonfox you really scared me before i scrolled down past the first line of your post. Sheesh!

But i agree with the j-man...

when i was in Amsterdam sketching with kevin llewellyn he said to me that its so easy to ask ppl to model for you, all you have to do is ask - most ppl take it as a compliment! If your lucky and not too demanding you might b able to get someone to do it for free......

good luck matey

Thanks
    George Pratt was telling me that the key to getting someone to model without seeming creepy is to have a business card and/or a website that they can check out some of your stuff... that way you don't seem like a weirdo, and you don't have to ask for their phone # or anything, takes the pressure off them.

Thanks
    good idea cotron - i think i might just do that.

Thanks
    I found it to be a great pick-up line. But I don`t have the money for a business card I`m afraid, so I`ll have to draw up something on beercoasters usually.
    This post really wasnt very useful was it?
    Veni, vidi, vici.

Thanks
    The only problem with non-professional models is that they move around a lot and can't maintain a pose for any decent length of time.

I always used tape to mark placement or I'd never never get them back into position. Also, give them something to lean on. That way you can re-ascertain the height of arms etc.