Art: David Szilagyi - Need some tough love
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: David Szilagyi - Need some tough love

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

David Szilagyi - Need some tough love

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into matte painting, concept artwork, and illustration.

I just took a look at my portfolio, and it needs some tough love.

What does it initially say to someone looking to hire a matte painter, concept artist, or illustrator?

I know that jobs in these areas exist out there, but I'm not getting the work that I want. And I'm really sure it's because of my portfolio and its content.

davidszilagyi.daportfolio.com

Thanks in advance, guys!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

to be a matte painter

A matte painting is a painted representation of a landscape, set, or distant location that allows filmmakers to create the illusion of an environment that would otherwise be too expensive or impossible to build or visit. Historically, matte painters and film technicians have used various techniques to combine a matte-painted image with live-action footage. At its best, depending on the skill levels of the artists and technicians, the effect is "seamless" and creates environments that would otherwise be impossible to film. -Wikipedia

your portfolio doesn't really seem to contain much for lanscapes. when I think matte paintings, I think Star Trek the Next Generation. They used a lot of them.
    if that's what you want to do, that's what you should paint.
    cheers -omecca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As omecca said, matte painting is like a whole other thing. You don't have any. Matte painting requires mastery of photoshop and a LOT of photo-manipulation. It requires little to no creativity but it needs to look photo-real and frankly, I don't see you having the skill for that yet.

But if we put matte painting aside which I think is boring anyway, we can talk about your digital painting section. I don't know what it says to someone looking to hire you--I can only say what it says to me and maybe that will be the same as some of them; to me it says amateur.

I can sum up why maybe in a few bits. Your depth is lacking. It looks like you treat each element separately instead of all being a part of the same environment. Your foreground, middleground, and backgrounds look too separated like theyre cut outs on top of each other.

All of your figures are not referenced. They're too simple and fudged. You have a LOT of silhouettes and even they are too simplified.

Maybe the most important thing is that I can't tell what's going on in 3/8 of your digital paintings. Mech holdout--I can't tell what that is in the foreground. Showdown--I can't tell if thats a figure there or what he/she is doing. I can't tell where he is or what that is around him. Shattering--I have no idea here...some demon wearing a hoodie is crouching in front of a large aquarium? The lighting in this image particularly is way off.

Your concept art sketches are pretty good. They look like a very early stage--maybe too early for a portfolio. But if you work on them, and include the early sketch and show like a progression to a concept painting that would be cool.

I would recommend hanging out in the critique forum and post an image up there that you're working on. Don't work anymore on any of these--they are what they are. Post up some thumbs in the crit section and we'll help ya

K there is the tough love. Cya

P.S. You need to reference everyyyyyything. If I can give ONE piece of advice, that is it. ESPECIALLY for figures. Use ref everytime for everything!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are awesome. This is exactly what I needed.

I'll keep working!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.