General Comics Thread - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...by-series/2011

Sometimes I wonder how rich Oda has to be with the kind of sales his comic constantly makes. It's so weird how One Piece is nowhere near as popular outside of Japan. Er, it's pretty obvious just from looking at it why animu fans wouldn't wanna look at it, but still; the highest selling IP in Japan is only really popular in Japan. I mean, look at this!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...by-volume/2011

HAHAHAHA!

I'm surprised Blue Exorcist is in 3rd. It's really that popular? I remember hearing it's doing decent in the states, too.

FMA is only in 21st place? You disappoint me, Japan.

Does anyone know what the usual sales for popular comic books in Europe are?

The sad fact is that in the US, comics are lucky when they manage to sell 100,000 copies.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 2nd, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Does anyone know what the usual sales for popular comic books in Europe are?
    That might be pretty hard to say, as different European countries have different in-country comics (for example, France has a huge comic industry, but very little of the comics actually get outside [as in translated to other places] the country) and most of them probably aren't series.
    Also depends on whether you count the comics that are subscribed to or just the ones that are sold. Like in here (Finland), the Donald Duck has average of one million readers per week (being the most popular comic here, even more so if you count the Donald Duck-spinoffs, like one of the Donald pocket books was the most sold comic of 2006, with 92 700 buyers), meaning that people who buy the comic are at least in hundreds of thousands (depending on how that was counted, like whether they counted just the household that bought the comic or all the kids/parents in that household that also read the comic). Compared to US that's not that much, but considering Finland has about six million people...

Another top-sellers would most likely be the monthly Marvel magazines (since I guess they collect all the weekly ones from America and publish them as a single issue) and different newspaper comic collections that appeal to non-comic readers too.

Anyway... Speaking of Marvel comics, I might give another recommendation of Pretty Obscure Comics, though this one is less obscure that the Heckler...
    The Awesome Slapstick. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...esomeSlapstick http://blackmarketpies.blogspot.com/...abel/Slapstick
    Name:  Awesome_Slapstick_1_3711.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  100.1 KB
    It's not the best or funniest comic I've read (though definitely not the worst either), but it has only four issues that you can find pretty easily, and to me, seriously this three panel snippet alone was worth of buying the comics:
    Name:  slapstickcometh.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  47.1 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of Slapstick but never read it yet. I probably should soon.

The grim and gritty time period he appeared needed a character like him.

monthly Marvel magazines (since I guess they collect all the weekly ones from America and publish them as a single issue)
    That sounds like the anthology thing I was thinking about near the beginning of the thread.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 5th, 2011 at 11:01 AM.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The grim and gritty time period he appeared needed a character like him.
    But alas, even Slapstick couldn't escape the Civil War which pretty much made him out of character and violent.

That sounds like the anthology thing I was thinking about near the beginning of the thread.
    Well, not exactly like the Japanese anthology types, but close. In here some selected comics (mainly Spider-Man and X-Men these days) get their own magazines that collect mainly the specific comics, but do add other comics if it's required for the storyline, like I just recently noticed the latest X-Men mag on the shelf, that was collected from both X-Men Legacy and X-Force comics (and I would guess previous issues had stuff from New Mutants too) to keep the storyline straight. However this means that either stuff gets left out or it's ridiculously late. Like the issue of X-Force (#26) was apparently published in April 2010 in US, and has already been collected as a trade (which I own) and now, November 2011 it gets here.
    It is much simpler though, than trying to hop between several series.

And for those interested, here's visuals:
    Name:  finnishcomics.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  281.8 KB
    Both magazines are around 50-60 pages long, zero ads in the middle (something that I was shocked to see when I first started collecting American comic magazines, how many full-page ads can you put into one issue?!). However, the Spider-Man comic does miss couple pages, for reason I'm not sure of (possibly page constraints, as the missing pages were basically fluff that had less to do with the plot and that issue was kinda extra thick already).

Also since I just managed to get this to my grubby little hands today...
    Name:  13635_400x600.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  147.1 KB
    If you're ANY sort of Steve Ditko or Creeper fan, I can really recommend this book. It's kinda pricey, but it's hardcover and the book is nicely large, the print quality is good, and even the colouring is so close to the original that I almost couldn't even say whether it was digital or really good re-print, so it avoids the "painfully obvious digital colours that don't fit the original or look garish" like in some other collections.

Also some of the storytelling is just so neat.
    Name:  creeperpose_6.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  502.9 KB
    Name:  creeperpose_3.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  241.6 KB

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You know I was wondering if the DC 52 sales are still going strong or did it drop off a lot from hype?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well they suckered me in. I went from reading zero DC series to 5.

Dectective comics, animal man, swamp thing, frankenstein and omac. I'll probably give up on omac though, I like the retro scifi art but it's pretty boring storywise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. Gene Yang says that Azzarello's Wonder Woman reboot is his favorite of the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You know I was wondering if the DC 52 sales are still going strong or did it drop off a lot from hype?
    No idea. Last time I heard anything, which was a month or two ago, they were still doing respectably. I'm still certain the hype will die soon and it'll be back to normal numbers, if it hasn't already.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 6th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of Ditko, I have this in my cart at amazon and I'll probably pre-order it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160...=ATVPDKIKX0DER Sounds about right up my alley.

I've been on a book and comic buying spree lately, mostly older stuff. Getting a lot of trades of series that I missed out on or only have a few issues. Like Swamp Thing, which is just awesome. I've also been enjoying the Wrath of the Spectre mini series.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha! Finally Derek Kirk Kim's "Same Difference" is back in print!

http://www.amazon.com/Same-Differenc...3269832&sr=1-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only somewhat comics related. Marvel has announced a new line of prose novels starting with a Civil War adaptation.

Releasing our most acclaimed graphic novels as prose fiction not only allows us to reach a different audience with these stories,

People who aren't interested in superheroes aren't gonna be bought from changing the packaging.

Speaking of Fullmetal, the final volume came out this week in English.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 20th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to know what people here think of the following:
    Fist of the North Star
    Kaori Yuki (Even though I already made a thread about her years ago.)
    Comic parodies
    Riki-Oh
    Draxhall Jump
    Cooljaw: Dreaming Darkly & The Sugar Claws by Celx Requin
    Lazy Mode Comics by Jake Hollander

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only know about North Star and Riki Oh. Neither are really my kind of stuff, but on the plus side, North Star is classic Jump and the live action movie of Riki Oh starring Fan Siu-wong is pretty hilarious.

Is Kaori Yuki worth checking out? I'm desperately trying to find a shojo comic to cling onto* but so far all I can say I like is Pet Shop of Horrors.

*I try everything, and shojo is the demographic that's hardest to get into. Sure, that's to be expected, but I'm confident there's something really cool that I just haven't discovered yet. I already like a handful of Josei stuff, it's just Shojo that's the difficult one.

I've read from a book on Tezuka that modern shojo is supposedly the most narrow demographic out of all of them, which makes it the polar opposite to shonen, which (despite it's name) generally draws in readers and creators of all ages and sexes.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 29th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've read from a book on Tezuka that modern shojo is supposedly the most narrow demographic out of all of them, which makes it the polar opposite to shonen, which (despite it's name) generally draws in readers and creators of all ages and sexes.
    Yeah, shoujo in of itself is a hard market to bust into. In Japan now, many shoujo magazines are going bankrupt, forcing many shoujo manga artists to scurry over into the shonen market. CLAMP is only one of many but one of the most well-known industry names to do that. I don't know if it's a change in interests in general or the shift in the overall demographic but shoujo just doesn't sell much anymore. I also blame lack of variety in shoujo, as you can only read so many romances and sparkle pages with shiny eyes and girly-looking guys and Mary Sues before you shut out most of the genre. This is why as a manga reader, I only stick to josei (older women) and seinen (older males) manga now. There's not only a wider range of variety in storytelling but a much broader sweep of different art styles as well.

There is one manga artist I've only recently started following and that's Fumi Yoshinaga (Antique Bakery, Ooku - the one series I'm reading). Antique Bakery didn't interest me much (I like some boys' love but not all) but the gender role reversal in Ooku set during the Tokugawa era was amazing. Reads like a social commentary.

Last edited by ShroudStar; January 30th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ShroudStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    CLAMP is only one of many but one of the most well-known industry names to do that.
    CLAMP has always been kind of ambiguous though... Very shoujo in visual style but they've always loved their gore, looking at older works like RG Veda and X/1999. TRC and xxxHolic are very ambiguous in terms of genre too, which I like. (I also like them best visually out of all of CLAMP's works.) Gohou Drug is more straight-forward shounen-ai than shoujo too... But they started out as yaoi fanartists, so it's only natural they like their gays and lesbians. Chobits was very much on the fanservice-y side as well, although the ending contradicted that message... Ah CLAMP, you're a bunch of twisted minds. (Just look at the plot of TRC and try not to agree with me. I dare you.)

Of the comics listed I've only read "Count Cain/God Child" by Kaori Yuki and I loved it. It's not my usual type of manga but the art is gorgeous and the stories are very, very dark. The ending is interesting too. It can get kind of confusing at times, though, keeping track of the story, but I love it anyway.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'll have to pick up Yakitatte!! Japan again. It's like a sports manga, all crazy competitions and reaching your dreams etc... but with bakery. Chasing after the creation of a perfect bread. Oh yeah.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ultimate quest to create Ja-Pan. Yeah, I remember that one. Never really got into it, though. Sunday, Sunday.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 30th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    CLAMP has always been kind of ambiguous though... Very shoujo in visual style but they've always loved their gore, looking at older works like RG Veda and X/1999. TRC and xxxHolic are very ambiguous in terms of genre too, which I like. (I also like them best visually out of all of CLAMP's works.) Gohou Drug is more straight-forward shounen-ai than shoujo too... But they started out as yaoi fanartists, so it's only natural they like their gays and lesbians. Chobits was very much on the fanservice-y side as well, although the ending contradicted that message... Ah CLAMP, you're a bunch of twisted minds. (Just look at the plot of TRC and try not to agree with me. I dare you.)

Of the comics listed I've only read "Count Cain/God Child" by Kaori Yuki and I loved it. It's not my usual type of manga but the art is gorgeous and the stories are very, very dark. The ending is interesting too. It can get kind of confusing at times, though, keeping track of the story, but I love it anyway.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'll have to pick up Yakitatte!! Japan again. It's like a sports manga, all crazy competitions and reaching your dreams etc... but with bakery. Chasing after the creation of a perfect bread. Oh yeah.
    Yeah, CLAMP is a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to their style + marketing. They did do a ton of gore (holy crap, X/1999 was flowing with it whatnot with the women exploding giving birth to swords, crucifixion, some really creepy bloodplay fetish between the protag and antag males *shudders*, and the general fighting amongst the two factions) and yet, their early stuff was marketed in shoujo magazines. I believe in Japan, your comic is tagged by which magazine it came out in. So if a shonen magazine picked up X/1999 instead, it'll be classified as shonen instead of shoujo.

Weird.

I also saw way early in the thread that Arshes mentioned Ice Blade/Jiraishin. I loved that manga, and later read it online since they stopped localizing it way back (for shame!). The main male lead was hard-edged, cold, calculating, but also very human as the story goes on and the art style was to die for, especially when the artist improved as the story wrapped to a close. It's also funny, because the artist for that manga was Tsutomu Takahashi, whose assistant for Ice Blade was Tsutomu Nihei, who's now well-known for his own manga series BLAME! (which I love so much for being so different).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    I believe in Japan, your comic is tagged by which magazine it came out in. So if a shonen magazine picked up X/1999 instead, it'll be classified as shonen instead of shoujo.
    Of course! I don't understand the problem. That's truly how you define these demographics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course! I don't understand the problem. That's truly how you define these demographics.
    It's just interesting to think of a shoujo-esque story ending up in a shonen demographic. Of course, there are no boundaries when it comes to who's interested in what but with Japan's system, it can just as easily make something like 'Yukikaze' (a fighter jet novel turned into a manga into a five-episode OVA) shoujo based off the artwork for the characters alone. And for groups like CLAMP who straddle the line, it gets even more 'What?' if you try to pigeonhole them by style or storytelling alone.

It just gets my head into tangled knots. XD They have so many categories that it seems endless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Butler is published in Shonen Gan Gan but from what I've seen of it (one chapter and a few random episodes of the cartoon), everything about it feels extremely shojo, especially it's setting and title character.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 31st, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Butler is published in Shonen Gan Gan but from what I've seen of it (one chapter and a few random episodes of the cartoon), everything about it feels extremely shojo, especially it's setting and title character.
    That is interesting. Black Butler to me feels extremely shoujo (art style-wise, too) and it's earned the nickname Gay Butler for many people (it seems to be very popular with the yaoi fangirls). That's actually a great example of what I was mentioning in the previous post. If anything, I'd throw that into the shoujo category (or the BL category), not the shonen one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing about it that seems "shonen" about Black Butler would be the fighting, but ALL the demographics have that in some shape or form...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been over 20 years, but DC is about to make Watchmen prequels. Of course Moore has nothing to do with it.

My initial reaction is NO, but it could be ok, I guess. They don't seem to be trying to drop the ball by putting anyone stupid on it. At least I don't think so.

So far the people set up are Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke, Brian Azzraello, Lee Bermejo*, J.G. Jones*, Adam Hughes, Andy and Joe Kubert, Len Wein*, and Jae Lee*.

* I have no idea who that is.

I think something like this needs a thread. This is Watchmen we're talking about, after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, only couple more days until we get the first part of Groo vs Conan: http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/15-632/Groo-vs-Conan-1

I have to say I'm really interested on how they manage to do this, crossovers overall tend to be very prone to failure if they start to unfavour/overfavour too much either participant (like with Tarzan vs Predator, where Tarzan just kills dozens of Predators with his tiny knife).

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Len Wein*

* I have no idea who that is.
    Really? REALLY?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Wein

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Conan? Wearing CLOTHES?! What madness is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Huh. Ok then. I said months back that I never bothered with X-Men comics...

Oh, Watchmen's editor (I don't pay attention to editors)? I guess he definitely has some room to participate in those prequels then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. Ok then. I said months back that I never bothered with X-Men comics...
    Come on man, surely you have read the original Swamp Thing comics at least?!

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not yet. The Alan Moore run is on my list, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of the greatest comic covers of all time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've been wanting to do a comic about this for a long time and for this thread it seemed just fine...
    Name:  warmachine_wtf.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  238.2 KB

So yeah, for some weird reason Warlock from New Mutants http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock_%28New_Mutants%29 was translated as "Sotakone", which means "Warmachine" in English. Also the actual War Machine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Machine is translated as "Sotakone". I don't know if James/War Machine is know as Sotakone or War Machine in the current translated comics (they sometimes don't seem to know whether translate or stick with some name translation) but if he is, then we have two Sotakone named characters in the same Marvel universe, and both series do interact with each other.

Warlock's translated name does kinda fit better but he also could be known just as "Warlock" in Finnish too, and both characters are old so I don't know what sort of flub happened here but man, this sort of thing really shouldn't happen with translated things. I guess it's best to hope that nobody puts the New Mutants and Iron Man posse in the same comic or it's going to be really weird.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.