General Comics Thread - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 153

Thread: General Comics Thread

  1. #31
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Modern times, it's ok to force sex on a guy who said no...because men only think with their penis and really mean yes?

    XD

    Look, I don't think the argument that Batman and Catwomen wouldn't have sex but claiming this is how women would do it in modern times is silly.


    I think the two would have sex, but given that Batman is a friggen control freak, this "no, ....oh but this makes my penis harder" argument is effing ridiculous on its face.

    I also recognize Catwoman isn't a white hat character. I don't also peg her for a person that screws on rooftops cuz she's emo over her apartment blowing up. You know, cuz that's the first thing I need when stuff like that happens to me. Modern times and all.

    As far as personality besides what was already established through years of mythos, what DID the author bring in during his reboot run in this issue? Other than exploring creepy fanfic sex?

    Another article here http://blastr.com/2011/09/has-dc-screwed-up-two-mor.php

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; September 29th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The issue at hand is that, unlike their male counterparts, DC female characters in the new 52 thus far seem to be largely T&A first, everything else a distant second.
    And there we go again. TWO incidents out of the 52 (and one other one that deputed in the final week, Voodoo) and they think they can say that? It's just untrue and unfair to all the other writers.

    They need to back up that claim, because to me it looks like a dubious and purely reactionary response from a preexisting bias.

    It reminds me somewhat of the Dwayne McDuffie interview where he talked about how people would scour his work looking for any hint of an "agenda" to turn the Justice League all black and erase all the other established characters. Confused? I'll try to explain.

    I'm certain there were reactionary people out there simply waiting for any chance to make those kinds of claims. As I yapped about before, superhero comics have a stereotype attached to them about how they represent their female characters. Like all stereotypes it's not completely true, but there's no denying that there it is pretty common these days.

    It took 3 weeks, but the people sitting in wait finally got the offenders they were waiting for. But what happened to the two previous weeks? If there was something to criticize during those days they would have been made, wouldn't they?

    And before someone somehow gets the wrong idea (with the internet you always have to make this stuff clear, even if it is CA), I'm not saying that the books shouldn't be criticized. They most certainly should. But there seems to be some kind of unfair bias from some of the people involved.

    For every good mindset there seem to be some zealots. Is "intellectual dishonesty" the correct term? I'm not sure if it is, but whatever word I'm looking for, it's just not cool, regardless of how good the intentions might be.

    As a black person I've met and seen many many silly people who try to find racism in everything or are simply racists themselves, despite claiming to be the opposite. Does that mean all arguments against racism are somehow illegitimate and we shouldn't be trying to pinpoint and remove any racism or inequality in our society? Of course not! But good mindsets and ideas still have subscribers who make flubs in reasoning, create generalizations, and show unfair bias. This is not a perfect world. It seems to me too many people want to think everything is black and white.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #33
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    And there we go again. TWO incidents out of the 52 (and one other one that deputed in the final week, Voodoo) and they think they can say that? It's just untrue and unfair to all the other writers.

    They need to back up that claim, because to me it looks like a dubious and purely reactionary response.
    Well there were more examples like one of the lanterns crazy open body costumes too.

    I understand your point, and being reasonable I understand and agree it is unfair. There are some good writers on the books, but because this was kinda big and offensive it's kinda like a fart that clears the room.

    Or something like the cantaloupe scare going on right now. 16 people died. But as far as people see it 16 was way too many to take chances on food.

    I think if DC was more amicable about it, people would feel less offended. However, getting a twitter post about watching the ratings, and Didido's smart ass remarks during SDCC can you blame the backlash now?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well there were more examples like one of the lanterns crazy open body costumes too.
    I think you're referring to the modern Star Sapphire costume from before the relaunch.



    Big change from her original costume, that's for sure.



    Now, I don't know much about Green Lantern, especially not the stuff that's happening right now, but the relaunch has started some kind of team book of one of each type of Lantern, and I think cleavage aside, the new costume of the Star Sapphire character showcased in that book is a hell of a step up.

    However, it's probably a completely different character than the one above. I don't know what happened, because I haven't read anything Green Lantern related.

    What do you think?




    I haven't read it so I don't know anything. Linkara recommended it but says it's too obtuse for new readers (Haha). And I haven't heard anything negative...yet.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 29th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #35
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think it's much better than that open one. I was like that with the Huntress outfit too.

    I mean of course it depends on which Huntress ( the future Catwoman/Batman spawn lol thanks rooftop sex ) Or the "female Punisher" one. I say female Punisher loosely because I felt with her origin it gave her reason to be exactly that. Yet they put her in that retarded belly outfit.


    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images...3/Huntress.jpg

    The above doesn't make me think she means business. It doesn't mean it looks covert (not that most superhero costumes exactly read then and look silly when they're doing stake-outs)

    This works for me

    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ress-suit4.jpg

    It's funny because my complaints with DC is the mistreatment of females as being something significant. I also have this complaint with Marvel, and I remember Lady Breasts...oops Death too and other stupid crap coming out where I finally just said enough (along with the Marvel stuff).

    I still enjoy Berserk. Berserk has one of its main females raped in a horrible way. However, Guts was raped as a kid...which is pretty brutal. When he and Caska have sex which was graphic...it just felt believable. It was awkward and even then Guts look like he gave a crap about his partner.

    Berserk has a lot of violence and sex. However, in its what...over 20 years of making...not everything is graphic sex, and it can run dry for a long time with long periods of violence. So I don't mind it. I mean it feels like it's part of the story, and not necessarily just "sweeps week" like Catwoman #1 is. I mean when I think of Caska's current state all I can think of was how brutal that scene was with her...and...well can relate and understand why she's so damaged. I even understand why Guts is so damaged.

    That doesn't mean every book needs to be Berserk. I am simply saying, I don't mind the graphic violence and sex when it's more to the plot than worrying if it helps push the number of sales that week.

    Also this "well it's for boys" argument about the main two comics. There's a difference between a demographic it tends to reach, whereas manga does have "shonen" "senin" "shojou" etc where they're direct about the categorizations. DC/Marvel doesn't really tell you it's for boys because I believe it just wants better sales overall, so if they get women it's great for business. All I see is the Teen Rating.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If series like Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach, and especially Death Note are any indication, Shonen these days is really gender neutral with it's audience and draws both girls as well as boys. Seinen not so much from what I've seen though. But I see alot of bad seinen. The only seinen creators I can say I like are Urasawa, Otomo, and Masashi Tanaka.

    Not to mention there are some female creators like Rumiko Takahashi who specialize in the male demographics. I don't think ANY of her major works in her 30 year career are shojo or josei series.



    In the past Marvel did actively try to make new characters to get girls to buy their books (in the 70's) but they just failed and kinda fell into obscurity.

    In 1972 there was a trio of Shanna the She Devil, (something like a female Tarzan). The Cat (obviously), and Night Nurse which was trying to be a medical/romance drama.





    Say what you will about Night Nurse, but I'm certain they were honestly trying.



    [Stan Lee] had the idea, and I think the names, for all three. He wanted to do some books that would have special appeal to girls. We were always looking for ways to expand our franchise. My idea ... was to try to get women to write them. ... I thought of my friend Carole Seuling, who had done a bit of writing for her ex-husband Phil in conjunction with his comic cons. I approached her to do the Shanna book because I knew she liked jungle comics and adventure comics. ... I put Ross Andru on as the Shanna artist [beginning with issue #2], with Vinnie Colletta inking to make Ross' Shanna look attractive.
    Roy Thomas interview, Alter Ego #70 (July 1970): pp. 49-50


    Comics turning into a "boys" medium and being dominated by superheroes is the result of just plain bad luck that it unfortunately still hasn't really recovered from all the way. But I'm just gonna repeat myself if I get started on that again.

    It's information cuts off right at the beginning of the Dark Age of comics and has vague musings before the manga boom, but I recommend Comics, Comix & Graphic Novels: A History Of Comic Art as a balanced and varied book to get a good grasp of comics history of the US and UK up to the early 90's.



    Did you ever read Gail Simone's run on Birds of Prey before the relaunch? Huntress was one of the main characters.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #37
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I heard her run was good. I know even a TV show was tried (and failed of course) because I watched it. Oddly enough I was more of the cartoon/movie fan of DC than the comic fan, where Marvel was more the opposite. I watched the 90's X-men cartoon and all but I really liked the comics.

    Don't forget about the awful Dazzler comic. I got them for my sister but we were like....uhhhhhh

    One character I liked but never followed her books was the TV created Firestar....but there's a lot of redheads in comics lol.


    DC ...well more Warner in this regard created very good cartoons with well balanced characters. Though at some point Batman in the animated series became a dick lol. When we were watching one episode with Clayface (my younger sis) there was some point we were trying to figure out why Batman was being such an ass and couldn't help poor Clayface out. It was like the Batman Joker interrogation ...resolved by growls and punching.




    When it comes to manga, yes there is a percentage of crap too... I don't want people to get me wrong thinking "precious manga, stupid American comics" It's just that when it was more rare and not as saturated there were a lot of series that drew me in due to the stories. The style was part of it, but I can tire of that easily. I mentioned Parasyte, and that didn't have the best art style, but it did have good story.

    Even now I'm more picky about choices due to the saturation, but it was nice that manga had interesting male and female characters.

    I think Hellsing is a very strong example of female characters that weren't window dressing. Integra is a beautiful woman, with some interesting ethnic diversity to her, but you didn't get some panty shot of her, or some shot of her naked fanservice cheesecake. She was a very strong woman. Seras is another example. She didn't turn into sexy vampire chick like most shows do. The series is graphic too but it was well done with its treatment of females in that series.

    I noticed some of the people trying to defend DC are using a strawman about how Marvel has some sexist stuff going on like Wolverine and Domino on X-Force. Or would it be more of a red herring? The argument isn't just about DC - it's the major problem of a lot of American produced comics. It's not some DC agenda, it's just that DC got the spotlight because 1. they paid for it with advertising and this reboot, 2. the comments at SDCC were heard like a gunshot. Replace DC with Marvel and it's the same problem.

    I think Voodoo is something of a double slap since she's supposed to be an ethnic female in her own title and...that's what we're greeted with.

    If anything it also seems that some of these writers are trying to recapture the magic of Gen 13. A title both me and my sister read. We did enjoy its silliness and humor, but we also dropped out of it after a while too.

    There was another argument that the reboot was to keep the its current roster of viewers. This of course is a bs argument. DC is trying to reign in new people. To say they ONLY want teenage boys or a certain demographic is silly. As the cartoon about Bad at math states, they had a very large audience with animated series. You're saying DC WANTS mediocre numbers? Really? I agree with the 4th wall reviewer, if these are relaunches, I'm left more confused with some of these because they don't seem to be origin stories to draw in new readers? I wish they did do the Wonder Woman origin story first issue. It was a good story if you know Wonder Woman well enough, but it's an okay story if you don't.

    As far as the excuse that there are comic versions of the cartoon only works for a few years. The reason being is that you have to remember your audience is getting older, so of course kids will gateway into the main titles.

    We always liked cartoons and comics, and such but oddly enough what got us into BUYING comics were the Joe Jusko Marvel Masterpiece cards.

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; September 30th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I noticed some of the people trying to defend DC are using a strawman about how Marvel has some sexist stuff going on like Wolverine and Domino on X-Force. Or would it be more of a red herring?
    It sounds like those people are basically saying DC shouldn't be criticized because other people are also part of the problem as well. What kind of logic is that?

    It's amazing how the people who try to defend that tripe will try to pull any kind of half baked fallacy they can instead of just realizing that the comics were offensive and that steps need to be made for the good of everyone, plain and simple.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:


  11. #39
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    It sounds like those people are basically saying DC shouldn't be criticized because other people are also part of the problem as well. What kind of logic is that?

    It's amazing how the people who try to defend that tripe will try to pull any kind of half baked fallacy they can instead of just realizing that the comics were offensive and that steps need to be made for the good of everyone, plain and simple.
    Definitely. Omission in an article doesn't equal acceptance.

    In addition, there are people saying DC doesn't want feedback...but what is going on here? http://blastr.com/2011/09/patton-oswalt-dcs-new-52.php

    Looks like DC has Nielsen out there gathering feedback. Survey is also linked in the article. (Forgot to note you will not qualify for the survey unless you tell them in the survey you bought any of the issues listed).

    I also had a chance to pick up Batwoman because I was interested in seeing who this character is and came to be. It was a sad disappointment because none of that was addressed - which goes back to the problem is that MOST of these reboots, don't actually reboot or give you good story about the who, what, when, where and why of these characters.

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; September 30th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Are than any Kodansha releases worth looking at since they're publishing new stuff now instead of just reprints?

    I've only bothered with Gon at the moment. I might get Sailor V or something just for the heck of it, though.

    What I REALLY want them to do is publish Cyborg 009 (all that's out there are those scarce prints by Tokyopop from around 2005) Yankee-Kun to Megane-chan (it was partially translated into English, but only in CHINA) and Billy Bat (which will most likely happen, seeing how Viz is on a good Urasawa kick which is getting them awards).

    And speaking of Viz and Urasawa, I really hope they can publish Happy! soon.

    Anyway, with Gon I gotta say I really like the new logo they made for the reprint. It's not like there's anything to translate in the comic, so why not make a spiffy logo?



    It kicks the crap out of the weak one DC made for it.



    Yes, a few years back DC started translating and publishing Japanese comics under the label CMX, but because most of the properties they released were more on the obscure side, it folded under in about a year.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:


  14. #41
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I. LOVE. GON!

    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Speaking of "silent" comics, has anyone here ever read The Arrival?



    I've heard good things about it. But they're really vague.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #43
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Age of Reptiles.



    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:


  18. #44
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I get it.



    I think you're referring to the modern Star Sapphire costume from before the relaunch.



    Big change from her original costume, that's for sure.



    Now, I don't know much about Green Lantern, especially not the stuff that's happening right now, but the relaunch has started some kind of team book of one of each type of Lantern, and I think cleavage aside, the new costume of the Star Sapphire character showcased in that book is a hell of a step up.

    However, it's probably a completely different character than the one above. I don't know what happened, because I haven't read anything Green Lantern related.

    What do you think?




    I haven't read it so I don't know anything. Linkara recommended it but says it's too obtuse for new readers (Haha). And I haven't heard anything negative...yet.
    The most powerful lantern is...THE LUCKY CHARMS ELF!

    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #45
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Gon is awesome!

    I used to read Elfquest back in the day. They weren't necessarily shy about elves doing the nasty. Nor some of the violence, and had that fun fantasy storyline I loved. I kinda stopped reading after the going to the castle and back thing but it was a good read with interesting characters.

    One series that seemed to develop interestingly despite the older women going after little boys fetish was Ubel Blatt. It looks like the author is going back to it again. It's kinda like looking at a "Dark Link" in terms of Link from Zelda lol. There's the cheesecake/fanservice but I found a lot of the characters and the story more interesting than just the standard superhero fare. Well I'm also a sucker for high fantasy ( and more than just knights and stuff, I like magical and mythical elements too). I freely admit I'm a Game of Thrones fan too.



    Also looking at the panels for Catoman because it does look confusing it's more sky apartment sex than rooftop sex, but still...What if that was Batman doing that to Catwoman, he'd be called a rapist.

    Anyways, on another note, this Comics Alliance post on this http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...ns-aaron-diaz/

    I actually like the Starfire redesign but wish she had her curly hair. I'm tired of artists making hair straight because they're effing lazy. Not a fan of the Ms Marvel or STATUE of Wonder Woman but I am digging the outfit for WW. Dr Strange is pretty decent too.

    Superman I'm ok with, it's better than the used basketball they movies seem to be fond of for the Spiderman and Superman reboot

    On a manga/anime note been meaning to get into Moribito. It has that strong female vibe like Blood the last Vampire - iirc was the same studio involved (for the anime)?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't like the Dr. Strange (not that it's bad), but the Ms. Marvel is cool because it's much more interesting than the normal costume. (Ugh, how can both DC and Marvel both have so many characters with Marvel in their name?)



    This is really cool. Not so sure about Robin using a gun, though. But seriously, he needs to pitch that to make an elseworlds one shot or something.




    I've never been much for high fantasy. It's almost like my feelings on most science fiction, but in the case of high fantasy too much of it just looks the same to me; generic Tolkien-inspired Dungeons and Dragons setting.

    Even though I like it a bit less (at least the more technophilic ones), science fiction has so many different subgenres to choose right from the surface. Fantasy takes a little bit more digging.

    I'm a strange nerd.

    Last edited by Psychotime; September 30th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #47
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I've never been much for high fantasy. It's almost like my feelings on most science fiction, but in the case of high fantasy too much of it just looks the same to me; generic Tolkien-inspired Dungeons and Dragons setting.
    I get tired of to Tolkien clones too, but I love it when people can take things and create new worlds. I think Dark Crystal is a good example of what I like.

    It's funny, that when I look back a lot of artists and writers I was ok with at the time are over at DC now, but the stuff they're doing is the same reason I'm turned off by it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #48
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    dc = heroes reborn.

    same shit they (image wildstorm) did for marvel, and we see how well that took!

    Last edited by OmenSpirits; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:


  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Oh man, I totally forgot the Craig Thompson's Habibi came out!



    Anyone read it?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Any anthologies you guys can recommend? I like the sample platter of style they can provide and short stories that get right to the point.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Off the top of my head there's Flight.

    I need to start looking into anthologies, myself.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:


  28. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,459
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 383 Times in 364 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't usually get to buy comics very often, but have read quite a few of them. Namely the ones that Nintendo Power magazine used to have throughout the late '80s to 1994.(Charlie Nozawa and Benimaru Itoh are overlooked.) Of course, I also like the old Transformers comic by Marvel, All Star Superman, and a few manga. (Go Go Ackman and Angel Sanctuary are two of them I like.)

    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    620
    Thanked 260 Times in 150 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Speaking of "silent" comics, has anyone here ever read The Arrival?



    I've heard good things about it. But they're really vague.
    Oh, I absolutely LOVE "The Arrival"! I bought it when I was in Belgium, which is every comic book fan's utopia Whenever I open the book I'm amazed again and again how it reads just like any other book, no words needed, and it makes you want to cry and to laugh because it's just so honest and beautiful. The story is so clear and yet mature, it's very beautiful and I cannot recommend it enough.

    A comic I used to read was "W.I.T.C.H." and I loved it a lot, but by season 2 it got bad... Actually, the first six or so issues were pure gold but then Alessandro Barbucci left and Disney took over completely, which really shows in both the art and the plot. It's a pity in my opinion! It made my teen years so much better, I really loved having so many great female characters to admire.



    Barbucci also did Sky Doll and Monster Allergy. Sky Doll has been on a long hiatus and still is, but it's a great series that, despite being very generous in terms of T&A, still has great female characters that make me care about them. And Monster Allergy is one of the best things ever, it's funny and creepy and just overall great entertainment, with beautiful art and great characters and plot.





    And something that's grabbed my attention right now is "Young Avengers". I've read reviews, checked out the fandom and read the first issue online and I'm really in love with what I know of the characters so far, especially Wiccan and Hulkling. A gay teen couple whose relationship is not the hub of incredible coming-out drama? Perfect. Those cliches get old so fast but these two are just part of the team, like everyone else. Besides, the series hasn't been running for long so it's still possible to catch up. Ordering the Ultimate Collection as I type

    Last edited by Kjesta; October 8th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.


    Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

    "Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

    "I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

    "The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:


  32. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SPACE, MUTHAFLIPPER
    Posts
    1,484
    Thanks
    2,739
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Off the top of my head there's Flight.

    I need to start looking into anthologies, myself.
    I was at a Dark Horse panel once and there was this editor that said that anthologies just don't sell well for some reason. I guess it's because people tend to flourish in a single artist/artist group's work. I dunno. When I heard that it was kind of a bummer but then I realized I don't really buy anthologies myself.

    So, run, don't walk to anthologies.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:


  34. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I wonder if there's a way to fix that?

    I've only looked at one, but apparently the big mainstream superhero stuff will occasionally have annual specials that follow one script but have multiple artists do different segments of the story. The only annual special I've ever read (Ultimate Spider-Man) actually had Craig Thompson do a short segment. Yeah, you read that right. Nothing actiony, just Craig doing what he made a name for himself doing: a teenage boy being emo.



    Or on the flipside annual issues are just more traditional anthologies. At least I suppose they are. I haven't read any recently.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The last anthology I read was Creepy #1. I picked it up at the con and when I found one of the artists to sign it, he said it had already sold out. I bet the problem is with retailers. As I understand they bank on proven creators.

    My favorite anthology in my possession is Doomed. I like showing it to people that have never read comics before. The stories are based on Richard Matheson and Robert Bloch who wrote for Hitchcock and the Twilight Zone. In my opinion it's Ashley Wood's very best storytelling.

    Here's a couple of previews I found for it
    Legion of Plotters
    Fat Chance

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I've only looked at one, but apparently the big mainstream superhero stuff will occasionally have annual specials that follow one script but have multiple artists do different segments of the story. The only annual special I've ever read (Ultimate Spider-Man) actually had Craig Thompson do a short segment. Yeah, you read that right. Nothing actiony, just Craig doing what he made a name for himself doing: a teenage boy being emo.
    Marvel also released Strange Tales. a collection of stores by indie creators (Dash Shaw, Stan Sakai, Kochalka, the dude who does Perry Bible Fellowship,etc) take on Marvel characters. There's also a second volume out.

    And yeah, The Arrival is great. I showed it to someone who's not into comics or illustration at the slightest and she loved it. That's one of the reasons I love Adrian Tomine's stuff because it's the kind of book you could give a non-comic book reader because it's totally relatable to the 20-something college-type person.



    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    The last anthology I read was Creepy #1. I picked it up at the con and when I found one of the artists to sign it, he said it had already sold out. I bet the problem is with retailers. As I understand they bank on proven creators.
    You mean the 'new' Creepy anthology? I got 2 issues, Kev Ferrara did some work for them too!




    I know people are tired of the X-men franchise ( I know I am), but I can recommend Uncanny X-force. The general tone is gritty with a rogue team consisting of Wolverine, Psylocke, Archangel, Deadpool, and Fantomex, the first arc they take on reborn(?) Apocalypse as a kid. I thought it was just another X-men spin-off by a B-team, but the art's been great and the writing is solid, good pace and characterization. This title was a really nice surprise, glad I gave it a chance, can't wait to get the seconde trade. It's probably the best X-book currently on the stands, although I don't read that many anymore.


    I've also read some of Dc's new 52. Enjoying the slight horror take on Animal Man and the Swamp Thing titles so far. I also heard they tie together somehow. Justice League on the other hand was just a generic, phoned-in story with flat characters by Johns, whom I always considered pretty overrated in the first place. Jim Lee is okay, but his work has gotten really stale over the years to me, it's the same ol' same ol' by him, and his work is very one-note, making it shallow, still nice eyecandy if you're not too critical, I suppose. And JL is a good fit with Lee being a straighrforward big action hero comic.

    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm almost halfway through Habibi, and uh...

    Craig Thompson may be a great artist (and he is), and is truthfully one of the most important names in comics because he's shown people what the medium is capable of. I particularly love how unpretentious and painfully honest the guy appears to be.

    But truth be told I find it really hard to stomach the story in this one. I think anyone who's read at least 25 pages can see what I mean. 2 pages in we have the main character, Dodola, start as a child bride, then gets kidnapped and sold into slavery, escapes slavery and saves a baby boy in the process, then years later as an adult she becomes a legendary prostitute (you heard that right, she becomes legendary by word of mouth) to get food for the both of them to survive (and one transaction ends in rape), and from there she is captured by the royal guard and is forced into the sultan's harem, but her sexual prowess gains her super stardom in the palace and the sultan gives her special privileges, much to the ire of the other concubines. There's more than that, but that's the important stuff.

    The dialogue is freakin' WIERD, too. I know the setting is this anachronistic amalgam (oh yeah) of Arabian Nights and modern times (which is just jarring in itself), but I NEVER EVER thought I'd see a line like "I don't got much patience for honkeys..." I am not kidding. Page 234. There was enough weird dialogue beforehand, but man. That broke the camel's back. And is the "1,001 cocks" line (which has shown up at least 3 times) supposed to be funny or something? Why do so many characters talk like they're from 2011 when it's something of an Arabian Nights story? It's jarring! And the stuff near the end! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

    And what's with the short advisor who keeps farting? What's up with that guy? He even farts when the sultan gives him orders to commit mass murder! What the hell? This is for adults, right?

    My whining aside, I really love the way Thompson draws demons/djinn. And he does have some genuinely funny scenes here and there. Just some of the humorous bits come at inappropriate times and look really messed up. All the jokes around Noah's ark are pretty good, though. Scratch that, the stuff with Noah is just awesome.

    EDIT: I think the story picked up when it stopped being about child brides, rape, prostitution, and sex slavery, and started focusing on Zam's (the secondary character, the boy Dodola saved and raised, but they got separated) time spent with a group of cross dressing eunuchs and "promotion" to palace servant. The dialogue is still jarring, but at least I'm actually being entertained instead of depressed or repulsed.

    Well there was the castration thing, but it was his own idea.

    EDIT2: I seriously think the comic gave up near the end. I feel like I just lost my mind or fell asleep reading it. I have no clue what makes sense anymore. Ugh.

    EDIT3: Haha, and he chose not to draw Muhammad's face, despite the comic being 25% Quran references.

    EDIT4: Ok, I finished the whole thing.

    Did I like the whole thing? No. I felt the same about Blankets. Habibi has parts that are endearing, funny, a little heartbreaking, and just plain good. Thompson is a master of his craft, most definitely. But the bulk of the story was either repulsive or just confusing. The only character I felt that had any real depth to them was Zam, and he was a pretty good character at that. But Dodola was pretty much just a lifelong victim of sexual cruelty but had the Scheherazade gene. I couldn't pin down any kind of personality to her. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I failed to see the point of all the Quran references at all. I assume there was one, but I have a hard time seeing how any of them had anything to do with the story. Blankets didn't have this problem, if I remember right. I liked the ending, though.

    Does the comic world need Craig Thompson? Of course it does. But saying that and truly liking his work outside of the art are two completely different things.

    Last edited by Psychotime; October 9th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  38. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Remember the internet madness over the new biracial Spider-Man? I wonder if it actually sold decently.

    EDIT: No numbers, but it's first issue supposedly did well. But then again, those always do.

    Two issues have dropped so far, and while issue 1 was really slow and had the new kid act like wallpaper, issue 2 picks things up as we learn more about the new powers this Spider-Man will have as well as his friends and family.

    They should rename the comic to Ultimate Spider-Boy, though. The current storyline is naturally a big dump of backstory from BEFORE he makes his own costume and all that, but the kid is like 11 when he gets his powers.

    And those new powers so far (besides the agility and wall crawling) are invisibility (stronger than the Invisible Woman's invisibility) and some kind of knockout venom he can secrete from his hands.


    I still don't know what to think of Action Comics. I wonder how long Morrison's run is gonna be.

    Last edited by Psychotime; October 9th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •