Sketchbook: Sketchbook... Round 2! FIGHT!!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Post Sketchbook... Round 2! FIGHT!!

It's been so long since I've done anything other than do art and work, so I think it's time to finally start a new sketchbook to reflect upon where I was and where I'm going. A little back story is that I've been around CA for quite awhile, but now is the time to start anew because school just started. Finally official Art School at Memphis College of Art.

Here's the entrance portfolio that I used to get into MCA...

Each image in the portfolio is labebled as follows:

MKportfolio_pgX01

Title: Studies for DAYS
    Date: Variable Dates as this is my Warm-Up everyday.
    Medium: Pencil and Ink
    Scale: Each 'page' is approx. 8.5" x 11"

MKportfolio_pgX02

Title: The Bathing Geisha
    Date: 2010
    Medium: Graphite, Photoshop
    Scale: 12" x 9"

MKportfolio_pgX03

Title: Penguin and Teddy Life Studies
    Medium: Photoshop
    Scale: Original of Penguin is 750px x 1012px and Teddy is 750px x 1248px
    Notes: Painted from Life

MKportfolio_pgX04

Title: Pancakes, the Bunny
    Scale: Same as Copy

MKportfolio_pgX05

Title: Paramore Lead Singer
    Medium: Graphite
    Scale: Approx. 17" x 11"

MKportfolio_pgX06

Title: The Kiss / The Kill
    Scale: 8" x 10"

MKportfolio_pgX07

Title: Lady Aphrodite
    Date: 2011
    Scale: 9" x 12"
    Notes: This was a contest entry for www.conceptart.org

MKportfolio_pgX08

Title: Panzer, the Dog
    Date: 2008
    Scale: 7" x 7"
    Notes: This was a commissioned piece

MKportfolio_pgX09

Title: Lotus Elise Hotrod
    Medium: Illustrator
    Scale: Original is 17" x 11"
    Notes: This was a commissioned piece

MKportfolio_pgX10

Title: Phish Promotional Poster
    Scale: Original is 11" x 17"
    Notes: This was an 'unofficial' concert poster for the Phish Tour

MKportfolio_pgX11

Title: Rhino Beetle Soldier
    Medium: Graphite, Illustrator
    Scale: Graphite: 9" x 12" Illustrator: 813px x 1415px

MKportfolio_pgX12

Title: Wandering Mind
    Scale: Approx. 4" x 6"

MKportfolio_pgX13

Title: Stoph
    Scale: Same as Copy.

MKportfolio_pgX14

Title: Ashley, donning the Grimace
    Scale: Original is 3000px x 3000px

MKportfolio_pgX15

Title: Rain, rain, go Away
    Date: 2008
    Scale: Original is 9" x 12"

MKportfolio_pgX16

Title: Lorelei, the Demon Queen
    Notes: This was a contest entry for www.dominancewar.com

MKportfolio_pgX17

Title: Raptor-Knight

MKportfolio_pgX18

Title: Masamune Shirow inspired
    Scale: Original is 8.5" x 11"

MKportfolio_pgX19

Title: Grunge Queen
    Scale: Same as Copy.

MKportfolio_pgX20

Title: The Moon, Tarot Card
    Medium: Graphite, Photoshop, Illustrator
    Scale: Graphite: 9" x 12" Photoshop: 400px x 689px Illustrator: 426px x 426px

MKportfolio_pgX21

Title: Figure Poses
    Date: Varies
    Scale: All were done on 9" x 12"
    Notes: Some were from photographs, others from Life

MKportfolio_pgX22

Title: Ascension, TCG
    Medium: Illustrator, Photoshop
    Scale: Varies
    Notes: This was a promotional package for a Trading Card Game named Ascension.
    Also, was my final portfolio project for my Assoc. Degree.

MKportfolio_pgX23

Title: Iron Lung
    Scale: 9" x 12"
    Notes: This was an experimental piece commenting on my thoughts on the overall tobacco industry.

MKportfolio_pgX24

Title: The Farmers are Not Alright / Food Inc.
    Scale: 11" x 8.5"
    Notes: This was direct response to watching the documentary, Food Inc.

-- End of Note

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mat Kaminski; September 29th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I will respond to any comments that come my way and will also share any and all resources that I come across.

Not to mention that I do love critiques and will offer my opinions and answers as often as I can

The future of this sketchbook will pretty much remain up to my digital experiments, drawings, and also as many animations as I can build in the upcoming years.

Thanks for viewing!

-- End of Note

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Just a tiny update about a new piece!

Flamboyant Pose

Title: Flamboyant Pose
    Date: 9/6/2011

-- End of Note

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    So, a little while ago, I decided that I would remake a few old characters that I had done...

Well I got a bit carried away with it and ended up drawing quite a few different characters.
    The Black Queen was the only subject, and let's see if I can find the prompt...

-- BEGIN PROMPT

THE BLACK QUEEN
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cakeypigdog
    Hey there mr Oblio

I am sick as pig and off work today: nice pick me up to find I have just won my first chow!! (by the skin of my teeth no less!)

My topic choice is as follows:
    Cheers,
    Jake (cakeypigdog)
    THE BLACK QUEEN

The year is 2025. The Black Queen is the figure-head of the British- Japanese empire known as the GBNR.

The GBNR are one of 3 super-states at constant warfare with each other. It is the hundredth year since the forming of these states. Our queen is a divine leader as well as a military commander.

Her appearance should bring together Victorian and traditional Japanese aesthetics but also take into account the 100 years that have passed since the joining of these two cultures.

Now... concept!

1 = divine leader
    2 = military commander
    3 = victorian&japanese mix 100 years later.

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 3 VOTES for each topic covered.

-- END OF PROMPT
    It wasn't exactly the topic that I followed... but I still managed to make a series of images for it wayy later.

Either way, I thought I would share the series:

The Black Queen

In the matriarchal society, she rules all.
    She has an 'iron' fist that doesn't know the meaning of the word "NO".

Title: The Black Queen
    Date: <don't remember>

The Black King

The Black King unfortunately holds no real power, he is just there as a figurehead to keep the
    original power scheme in place. Basically he's just there to make the queen look 'genuine'.
    He is very flamboyantly gay, although not many people know this because he
    generally stays statuesque on the throne next to the queen. He constantly plays practical jokes
    and is genuinely liked by the public.

Title: The Black King

The Bishop

The Bishop plays a bit of a smaller role since religion isn't as important as it once was, since
    the Queen uses her 'divine right' to rule. But the Bishop is still needed for magical ceremonies
    as well as unions. Which aren't that often... The church as a whole doesn't reign the power it
    did during modern times, but they still keep him around.

Title: The Bishop

Knights

What would a royal court be without it's knights? As you can see, the knights take basic Japanese soldier outfits and weaponry and blend them with British clothing as well.

Title: Knights

The Court Jester

And finally, the Jester. The jester serves as a comedian to keep the Queen and King entertained,
    although a majority of his work is done behind the scenes. He secretly plots night and day to
    change the scope of the royal court to suit his own needs, and thus builds a private mercenary group
    in hopes to bring down the house.

Title: Jester

So, there you have it... a series of drawings for one purpose.
    I actually have a lot more to the story of these, and this is still a very loose story compared to what I
    have in mind... but anyway, thought I would share.

-- End of Post

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Keeping the momentum going like crazy during art school, I probably draw at least three hours a day. I think if I keep up this, I'll have the 10,000 hour rule down in about another year and a half! That article is actually REALLY interesting, because it's makes you wonder just how true it is... I'm actually thinking about starting to find a way to start interviewing fellow artists and posting the results here. Might prove to be a little interesting? Maybe I could find some that would be willing to do such a thing...

I've actually been typing up a long post about the process that I take to develop a character. So I typed up the whole thing to share with everyone. Let me know what you think:

The following is a modified excerpt from the Shadowrun Second Edition handbook.
    It has been modified to apply to all categories of writing instead of just the Shadowrun universe…

Fleshing out your characters

When you are initially creating characters, and to get the most out of their personality or traits, you should flesh out your character and really bring it to life. A character without a background is just like a sketch without rendering. You have to really bring the character to life to make it a believable character.

What follows is one approach that many authors, playwrights, and screenwriters take to create their characters. When answering the following questions, really stop and think about them. The responses to these questions will help you create a more realistic, fuller character with a broader background, and ultimately a character that is more relatable. And always remember, you can expand upon this character design later.

Twenty Questions.

Each person should jot these questions down on a separate piece of paper and answer them, as fully as possible, for their character. Points to take into consideration and possible repercussions of a decision follow each questions.

1. What is the character’s sex?

The choice might seem simple; male or female, but the choic may make a difference. There are very specific biological, sociological, and, some say, psychological perspectives and needs are different in men and women. For example, sexism might apply to a corporate manager, especially when it comes to advancement or raises. Even a homeless person might regard sex in terms of whom to approach. What happens when a male character meets a female, and she just so happens to be frighteningly sexist?

2. What is the character’s physical size?

Is the character a tall, skinny dwarf? Maybe a short, stout elf? Or perhaps they are just average build and height.

3. What is the color of the character’s hair, eyes, and skin?

There’s natural color, and then there’s augmented color. Modern cosmetics are amazing, and to some degree or another, used by everyone (both sexes). What color, or even colors, is the character’s hair? In what styles might he or she wear it? Why do they wear it that way? What about eye color? Is it natural? Perhaps they have some sort of modification that could change the color. For example, what if the character you are developing for is a futuristic character, and they have cyber eyes that can look like almost anything. Or maybe the character needs glasses, wears contacts, or has had corrective eye surgery (another thing that can change eye color). What about skin color?
    Humanity throughout the generations has always found ways to spread ideals of hate and lies based around people’s appearance, so these are all things to consider closely when designing your character as they could change the way the world you are developing as a whole approaches your character and their overall viewpoint of the character itself. Skin color, in particular, seems to be a hot-button topic. Consider the overall appearance of your character and the reactions that the people around them will have to really give your character a personality and reaction to the world. Keeping your character rooted this way will really help to ground your character in the environment you’ve created.

4. What is the character’s general appearance?

How is the character’s posture? Does the character stand erect or stooped? How about the clothes they wear typically? Perhaps they dress stylishly or inconspicuously? Because of their appearance, maybe they appear intimidating or casual. Is the character attractive, and why might the opposite sex think so? Is there something distinctive in the shape of their head, face or limbs? Perhaps they have terrible scars covering their entire body, this would be something to consider and really flesh out the why here. Or maybe they have some disfigurement, explain why they have such a thing. And finally, what might someone seeing this character for the first time think? Consider that small dwarf you’ve designed, for example, perhaps the world around them would make fun of them because of their height, or this might even give this character the hidden intimidation because people wouldn’t expect it out a character with this stature.

5. Where was the character born?

A character growing up in Seattle would have a completely different outlook on life that a character growing up in, say, tribal New Guinea. Heck, even a child growing up in a rich neighborhood will have a completely different viewpoint than one growing up just a few blocks away in a neighborhood on the ‘wrong side of the tracks’. Decide into what country, state, province, city, and, if possible, neighborhood (or at the very least what poverty level) the character was born into. Many psychologists argue that what we are as adults is influenced directly by who we were as children. Think about the character’s childhood, neighborhood, friends, and family.

6. What is the character’s age?

When a character was born is just as important as where. Consider this: a character born before any of the World Wars started might have developed completely different than a person born during the technology boom of the 1980’s. The many events that you have, fictional or not, can completely change the direction and outlook of not only your character, but the world around your character. You must also think directly on how these events affected him or her. Perhaps it could have even affected those around them and made the individual an introvert.
    For example, perhaps on your timeline of events that you could have created, maybe there was a war somewhere along the way that changed entire nations and rebuilt a whole country. Perhaps this new society was matriarchal and your character was born into this as a male. Consider what kind of effects this might have upon your character’s overall advancement. Maybe because of this situation, your character might not be able to reach certain degrees of promotion. Think about what kinds of psychological effects this can have upon your character, and their outlook upon those around them.

7. What was the character’s family?

What did the character’s parents do? What was the family’s means of support? Were they married, separated, divorced, widowed? What was family life like? Does the character have any siblings? Where are they now? What do they do? Does the character keep in contact with them? Did the character even know his or her birth family? If not, consider what there surrogate family was like.
    Another example, what if the family had been a group of drug running cartel members? How would a character born into this lifestyle had been affected in the long run? What if there had been no surviving members, would they have gone after the mob group as a revenge mission?

8. Has the character themselves begun their own family?

Is the character married, divorced, separated, or widowed? Does the character have children, and if not, would they ever consider having them? These choices begin to flesh out the psychological impact your character might have overall. Perhaps because of the fact that they want children really badly, they consider stealing children from others to create their own surrogate family. Or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, maybe they despise family and thus are the loner mercenary archetype.

9. Where or how was the character educated?

Where did the character learn their skills? Did they go to high school? Perhaps they even entered into higher education. Where? Was the schooling public, private, perhaps even corporate-sponsored? Was the character privately tutored, or did they get their lessons from the school of hard knocks?
    A character growing up with a street-bred education will have completely different experiences than a character growing up in a pampered, private education. Consider the overall outlook the character would have based upon this question. An expensive private education might have a broader intellectual pursuit, but how well would it be applied in a run-and-gun approach. A gang member might have much better knowledge on how to break into a building or steal a car or even on a psychological level, cope with quick decision and problem solving. Whereas the nerdy, back-of-class bookworm that never got to experience such things would buckle under the pressure of having to do such on-the-spot thinking.

10. What is the character’s occupation?

What does the character do overall to make money? Perhaps they are doing something ‘illegitimate’. Do they enjoy what they are doing? What would they enjoy doing more? Would the character ever consider stopping this job? And if so, would they go back?
    Morality plays a huge part in what a character would or would not find appropriate for a job. A character that enjoys street racing might not enjoy an adventure in a library and thus the dialogue could contain hefty complaints about doing such things or might not even fit unto that specific scenario at all. And the same could be said about the opposite situation. It goes to show that what a person does and the motivations involved can have a direct impact upon their personality and the why’s of what they do.

11. What about the character’s political and religious beliefs?

These are sure-fire argument starters, but what about it? Does the character have any defined political beliefs? What are those beliefs? Was the character’s family religious? Are they still? Did the character change religions, and if so, why?
    To further expand upon the character’s background, one must think about every aspect of their background. A character with ties to a god-fearing, eco-terrorist group might have a dramatically different opinion of the world than a crooked communist politician. Try to describe in detail the specific aspects of what a character would think about the political and religious side of things, especially if it relates to the overall story in which you are creating.

12. What is the character’s moral code?

Will the character kill? Why? When did the character decide they could? Does the character think killing is acceptable? Under what circumstances? Where does the character stand on related issues like capital punishment, abortion, and euthanasia? Does there character adhere to a strict personal sexual ethics code, or even think about it?
    The more fleshed out the specifics of the character and their overall moral standing, the better overall. Consider even the taboo when designing a character. Things as simple as a character’s overall view on homosexuality or polygamy might even be considered.

13. Does the character have any goals?

Does the character ever think about things other than the here and now? Or is the character satisfied with how things are currently? If not, why not? Does the character plan on changing things? How? How long will this take, and is the character willing to wait that long?
    This type of question can have some serious repercussions upon the overall story you’re designing. Say you’ve designed a character with no goals in mind. What’s to say that this character even wants to follow suit with what the other character’s they are working with? Perhaps you’ve decided this early on and can make a large story arc out of this. Maybe one character has the goal of being able to unite a nation to do battle upon a common enemy, but some of the other character’s you’ve developed have a different agenda, even secretive. What’s to stop them from conflicting later to become enemies in your initial character’s design? These are things you must consider when creating a character especially if you are considering a large host of characters that all work together for a common goal. Don’t make them all static characters that just follow one blindly. Give them all differing goals to really make things interesting.

14. What path led the character to the current goal they are on?

Does the character prefer the cheap thrill or maybe they are only in the plot for the short term? Perhaps they are in it solely for the money and fame that might follow. Or, maybe they are in it just for the personal gain. Would any event or circumstance make the character consider dropping what they are doing to leave?
    Perhaps some character’s you’ve created don’t share the same motivations as others. You must also consider the opposite spectrum when creating characters that not all characters are good. Maybe the more vindictive of a character you have, the more they want to keep an eye upon the main characters. The saying goes, after all, “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer”. You must consider the history of each and every character you design. Perhaps some characters haven’t followed the same paths but meet in the end because of a common goal.

15. What is the character’s overall personality?

Is the character pessimistic? Idealistic? Radical? Conservative? Resigned? Easy-going? Militant? Aloof? Intense? Bombastic? Obsessive? Superstitious? Extroverted? Introverted? Ambivalent? Rational? Opinionated? Passionate? Questioning?
    Realistically any amount of adjectives can be placed here to describe. But perhaps the best route to take would be to combine them and maybe even explain why the character is that way. Even combine multiple for interesting, even comedic approaches. A character that is both militant, but obsessive-compulsive might make for an interesting combination. Maybe you’ve created a character that is extremely smart, and thus introverted, but has no people skills what-so-ever, so when they meet with others, they completely fumble every single conversation.

16. What special qualities does the character possess?

This does not necessarily refer to skills, but to what the character can do well. Does the character get along well with people? Skilled in business or technology? Prioritizing? Planning ahead?
    This question applies to the indirect aspects a character might possess. Going with the example above, perhaps this character is extremely knowledgeable in technology and perhaps has a science degree, thus the character might only be able to talk well about these subjects.

17. Are there certain things a character just cannot do?

Get close to people? Perceive themselves realistically? Work well with others? Think clearly under stress? Handle money well?
    Think of these as flaws a character might possess. There is no balancing system when creating a character so you can have as many flaws and bonuses as you’d like. Maybe your character has arachnophobia, so the moment a spider of any size appears, the character flees for the hills. Maybe they are a complete pacifist and thus cannot harm another in any capacity. Jot down a few flaws that you can think of and continue adding them as your character builds up steam during your writing.

18. What does the character hate?

Corporations? Working menial labor? Personal questions? Sentimentality? The media? Family? Certain people, or perhaps society in general?
    While the flaws above are related to things like allergies or physical and mental ailments, these describe more what a character despises more than anything else. Possibilities could include a character you’ve created that just flat out hates country music and reacts in a very negative way whenever this type of music plays. Or maybe they hate cigarettes and thus whenever they enter a bar or are around people smoking it enrages them. As you flesh out your character, their personality should show through and you might be able to add things that they hate based upon your own personal experiences or the experiences of others.

19. What does the character love?

The seashore? The view from tall buildings? Quiet? Loud music? Art? Taking care of business? A specific person? A certain place?
    The question seems simple, but you must think about the opposite end of the rope when considering it. What if you had a character that hated guns, but loved the thought of being a gunsmith. It’s these outlandish combinations that sometimes make for interesting character design.

20. What is the character’s name?

While it might seem simple to ask this question at first, think about the following: What is their birth name? What name does the character use currently? Did the character choose this name, or did they gain it through a nickname or joke?
    Maybe a character you’ve developed decided that they wanted to disown their family and thus completely changed their name in order to hide from them. A simple question such as your name might be simple to think about up front, but there are many factors that could affect the decision to reveal your real name up front. People’s motivations are usually directed right up front by the use of their name. A name like Damien usually invokes thoughts of evil. But then consider if you used it with something like Saint. “Damien Saint” just doesn’t ring as an evil genius that you’ve designed them to be. Think closely about the name and the overall purpose of your character.

CONGRATULATIONS!
    A CHARACTER IS BORN!
    I'd actually be interested to hear what kind of characters people come up with, if you use this method, comment your characters that you come up with!

Anyway, I suppose now it's time to post some of that art I was talking about.

Audrey Hepburn

Title: Audrey Hepburn
    Date: 9/12/2011

The Ultimate Hipster

Title: The Ultimate Hipster

Cloth Study

Title: Cloth Study

EDIT:

Forgot to include my very first hand-drawn animation:

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Possibly the cutest animation i've ever seen, with awesome music to match.

Thanks for stopping by my SB. Your studies are looking solid as are the values within them, keep going and keen to see much more from you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

BlightedArt:

I know about that animation... even my teacher said that it was borderline rediculously cute. But it's the teeth that give it this mischeiveous-ness.

The music is actually done by a guy on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/user/FantomenK

He's got some AMAZING chiptunes. I vote that everyone listen to it!

This is my favorite:

and here's the full version of that song:

I have a metric f***ton of stuff to scan and upload... but that will come in time I'm sure.

-------------------
    -------------------

Thanks for responding, I try to make sure that I respond to every one that I get

Well, as you all might know, I'm a current Memphis College of Art student, and they are actually doing a Haunted House soon...

I just finished with my entry for the T-Shirt that they will be releasing. I'm not sure if I won yet, but here it is:

Dorm of the Dead : Nightmare on Rembert Street

Title: Dorm of the Dead : Nightmare on Rembert Street
    Date: 9/29/2011
    Scale: T-Shirt (not sure of the specific size listed)

I have a ton of sketch work to scan in and post up, but I decided to just go with this little toss up for now... Keep watching! I'll post more as it gets done!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    I really like the t-shirt designs! Good luck in the contest!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsuyoki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    YOOOOOOOO shits cool

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberticus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Mat! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I'm really digging that you do both graphic design and illustration. It's always cool to see people practicing multiple types of art.

On a little side note, I was checking out your blog and stumbled upon that becoming an expert in 10000 hours article. It's really interesting. It reminded me of an observational drawing instructor I had who once told me that every artist has 10000 drawings in them they gotta get out before they become a good artist.
    It all boils down to one thing, practice makes perfect!! Haha

Keep on drawing man!
    -Arthur

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosque For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Man, I love that song above!

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

Tsuyoki: Thanks! The winner will be announced this week I think!

Roberticus: Dude, POST YOUR ART Haha, see you in class.

Bosque: Yeah, I have a double-major degree in Graphic Design, but that just wasn't cutting it both in the art department, and the job department. So I'm pursuing what I originally wanted to do anyway, which is 3D modelling. Basically I'm trying to get my degree in Animation so that I can finally start making some damn games!
    Thanks muchly!

About the 10,000 hour rule... I forgot who I heard about that from, but it seems to me that it has a ton of truth to it. And at this point, I can't really stop... it's like a firehose that just keeps on pumping. Now if only I could get it to pump out quality works huh?

-------------------
    -------------------

Thanks for the responses guys, and remember, I always respond to every post in my book that I see!

Anyway... So here we go with another update. I actually think that I'm going to start something new with a few things, like posting images of the week or something and talking a little bit about maybe upcoming events in Memphis or perhaps posting tutorials and links on how to do this stuff.

Artist of the Week: ItchyNick

The amazing thing about this artist is their approach to Graphic Design in a very illustrator point of view. They seem to have a grasp on both great design and great rendering and illustration techniques. If you look at their work so far as a whole, their body of work shows heavy line usage, and very painterly paint strokes. Hopefully they will continue to post their pieces relating to this project.
    I still have loads and loads of pieces to scan because my sketchbook for Drawing class is about half-way full.

Every page is full to the brim because I hate not using every ounce I can in my pages.

The Halloween Haunted House is coming up soon for Memphis College of Art.

Also, this weekend the Memphis Brooks Museum ends its long standing exhibit of the Impressionists. There is actually an epic show coming up there soon, Armed and Dangerous it's all about Medieval Weaponry! Who doesn't like that kind of stuff?!

Anyway, I suppose it's on to the art huh?
    Here we go:

Armed and Dangerous

Title: Armed and Dangerous
    Date: 9/8/2011
    Scale: Original is 4" x 6"

A study on how light is shown on a suit made completely out of reflective spandex. Taken from a photo.

James Franco

Title: James Franco
    Date: 9/18/2011

Image was a copy from one in a magazine. The lighting was perfect, I just had to copy it!

Post-Apocalyptic Alice

Title: Post-Apocalyptic Alice
    Date: 9/24/2011

This was an unfinished attempt to get into the Character of the Week contest: Warrior Alice

My thoughts were to implement the Cheshire Cat in her weapon. And also that she would be a bit more 'punky' what with her dress sewn closed to resemble pants. My fiancee actually helped me come up with the concept for this one (she's clever, that one).

Back Muscles are CRAZY

Title: Back Muscles are CRAZY
    Date: 9/25/2011

Alcide Herveaux

Title: Alcide Herveaux

Mugshots

Title: Mugshots

These photos were actually a study from a funny magazine I found at the gas station. It's filled with nothing but the convicts that were 'caught today'. Pretty damn silly some of the expressions that these people have.

Anyway... more to come later, I still have to scan the schoolwork sketchbook!

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; October 5th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Hi Mat off to a good start i see, keep it coming!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DStraX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another week passes... more and more drawing!

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

DStraX: Thanks! Will do!

-------------------
    -------------------

Not a whole lot to report this week...

There is an awesome show coming to the gallery at Memphis College of Art called A Loss of Attention.

A snippet about it was actually on my teacher's blog website: HERE

I think this is pretty huge, as it actually is a show entirely about the relationship between art and writing. A great many of artists try to scoff writing, but it's actually a ton more essential than the realize and thus, I think this show is amazing.

Continuing with last week's starting tradition: Artist of the Week!

This week's honor goes to Chinese_Chicken over here on conceptart.org

This person's designs are amazing, especially with the attention to detail. They seem to have a hefty grasp on the 3D with the amazingly detailed 'mini-sculptures' that they've created. I never even knew that sculpture was really a medium in which you could do fan art, which is exactly what they've done. Keep up the good work!!!
    In other news, I lost the contest for the T-Shirt for Memphis College of Art, but ehh what can you do? Here's the winner: Shirt Winner and other Information

Either way, this doesn't stop the art train at all...

Here's more:

Animation Background

Title: Animation Background
    Date: 10/9/2011
    Scale: Original is 1920px x 1080px (meant to be HD)

This is actually a work in progress shot for the animation that I'm working on. A slightly older 'conceptual' version of it anyway. More on this in the coming weeks...

The Great and Mighty BEEBOU!

Title: The Great and Mighty BEEBOU!
    Date: 10/10/2011

My cat, painted from life...

Electric Forest Poster

Title: Electric Forest Poster
    Date: 5/12/2011
    Scale: 11" x 17" Poster

Sorry about this old one, just realized that I never posted it.

Widespread Panic, A Spoof

<IMAGE NEEDS RESIZING!!!>

Title: Widespread Panic, A Spoof
    Date: 10/1/2011
    Scale: 3000px x 3000px

A friend actually just wanted a silly mash-up illustration of the Tennessee Titans logo with Widespread Panic inside of it. Was just for something silly...

ChoW contest: Mother Nature (T-Shirt)

Title: ChoW Contest: Mother Nature (T-Shirt)
    Date: 5/15/2011
    Scale: T-Shirt Large

T-Shirt for the Character of the Week Contest on conceptart.org

Sorry about the old pieces in this post, but I just realized that they weren't posted anywhere else.

Anyway... more to come (still haven't scanned my sketchbook!!!)...

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; October 12th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is a brilliant sketchbook you've got going here, Mat! Your work ethic is really paying off, I can see improvement in your figures in just a few posts. Can't wait to see more updates!

-Isrynn

Thanks

New Media and a Break (10/16/2011)

Yay! Tiny little break so I can finally start to play around with my own stuff again...

Very inspirational and LONG!

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

Isrynn: Thanks! I'm trying to remain super dedicated!

-------------------
    -------------------

Thanks for the response Isrynn!

I've actually finally gotten around to scanning and editing all those images that I kept hinting at... it was about 60 or so pages. I actually smashed them all into about 3 images so that there wouldn't be a complete image spam. I can say though... that each 'page' you see (even though it's hard to see some of the breaks) is a 9" x 12" sheet of paper. So the image is actually pretty huge if seen at full size. Either way, I want to finally share what I've been up so far for school.

Artist of the week for this week goes to:

Sickbrush here on conceptart.org

This person has been extremely dedicated because of the multiple posts daily (each with a new piece of art), extremely great advice, tips and tricks, and even some downloadable material like brushes... Overall this person seems to just be completely on 'top of the game' and I will be extremely suprised if they don't go REALLY far in the future. My hat is off to you, and I am making sure to keep watching you...
    Not too much going on besides vacation and finally getting a small break. I'll just continue arting and animating. I'm actually trying a new way of drawing: Gunmetal grey paper, black conte / graphite, and white chalk... if you look at the last image, let me know how it turned out.

I think in the couple of weeks there is going to be the haunted house for Memphis College of Art.

Anyway, here's the art that you guys might've come for:

Gesture / Figure Studies

Title: Gesture / Figure Studies
    Date: September - October 2011
    Medium: Graphite / Conte
    Scale: Each 'Page' is 9" x 12"

Notes: Approximately 30 pages are here, all smashed into one image.

Environmental Studies / Objects

Title: Environmental Studies / Objects

Notes: Approximately 20 pages are here, all smashed into one image.

Still Life / Other

Title: Still Life / Other

Notes: Approximately 5 pages are here, all smashed into one image.

New Media Test

Title: New Media Test
    Date: 10/14/2011
    Medium: Graphite / Conte / White Chalk
    Scale: 8.5" x 11"

Notes: Just a test of media on a different type of paper. Trying to achieve that 'official' look that I see so often.

Thanks for viewing... Come back for more later!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Good to have you back man!
    That's a ton of studies! I thin your linework and construction has improved tremendously.
    Only thing I'd suggest is also work on the linecontour, especially on live subjects.
    Keep it up man!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great sketchbook you are having here mate . You seem to do right things, so I really don't have any big advice for you. Hmmm. The only thing I can suggest. Try to put more work into anatomy studies and applying those studies into your work from imagination. Cuz I can see some really nice figures in the first image of your newest post (this one with fat chicks). You got some really nice shapes and lines there. But this 'New Media Test' figure is much lower quality. So maybe try doing a study and after this a study from imagination. To make sure you learned as much as possible. Keep working And I hope you know what I'm sick so my English is pretty shity today . Cheers

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramalooke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright man! I'm really liking the gesture drawings. I agree with Ramalooke. Your line work is very clean, very fluid. I'm also really liking the perspective thumbs. Perhaps we could apply them to a full blown illustration! Keep studying! I'll see you in the Daggers stream.

Thanks
    Hey man, great to see you working so hard. I feel lazy just looking at the amount of work you have in here already.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SteFlack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man, great work ethic! some of ur pieces are very strong. keep it up =D. keep up those anatomy/figure drawings!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very good sketchbook. Many works attract attention.
    As for me, "The Ultimate Hipster" and "Cloth study" are one of the best, look very illustrative. And nice compositions in MKportfolios.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Graworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 635 Posts
    Lots of awesome pencil work here. Your graphic work and t-shirt designs are cool too, very clean and well presented. Some of the proportions on your faces are little off, so a bit more attention too that area may be helpful.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, that break came and went soooo fast. It feels like it wasn't even really a break from school at all, more like an extra weekend.

Awesomely enough, that video was done by Todd McFarlane! So that probably helps in the awesome-factor of that video!

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

Rotor: Yeah, hopefully I'm back for good! I try to draw a ton, every other monday I actually attend a life study session. So that was included in all that cluster of images from last week. I will hopefully have more and more of those as time goes on.

What do you mean by line contour by the way?

Ramalooke: Thanks a bunch! I'm actually trying to learn to apply my life studies to my imaginary characters and things... Over time I think this will show through. The main problem that I'm running into right now is that, I can mainly just draw what I can see, so I have to train my mind to 'see' on my paper. Hopefully over time I'll get better with this... Until then, more and more life drawing!

Bosque: Hahaha, yeah, I really do need to make full-illustrations out of my environment sketches, seeing as how I want to be an environmental artist and all. Thanks for the compliment as well! I've actually gotten that once before, that my linework is very clean. Hopefully I will continue to not disappoint you with that

SteFlack: Pshhh... I need to work more! I see artists all the time blowing my work ethic out of the water! Hopefully though, there will be even more as time goes on! Thanks for the feedback though

tronrobot: No doubt, I'll keep drawing like crazy! Thanks!

Graworks: Thanks, I have lots and lots more to draw for sure!

Rob Powell: Thanks! I'll try to pay closer attention to the faces from here forward!

-------------------
    -------------------

Thanks guys! More to come!

This week, Artist of the Week! goes to: Loish from deviantart.com

This girl has some seriously awesome style! Not to mention her volume of work really speaks for itself. Just look at her watercolor type painting, she somehow does all this in photoshop. Overall her work is just really entertaining and expressive. And then if you get a chance, check out her animations, specifically the Open Question Terror.
    I wish I had more to say this update really... just been working a little less than normal during the break. But regardless, I have some updates:

The haunted house for MCA is this weekend, so make sure you check that out!

Class has been going pretty well, working day in, day out... got a big chunk of my animation done for this next project. I'll have to post that for sure when it's done.

Anyway, here's that art (mostly WIPs this week unfortunately):

Portrait Series: Edgar Allan Poe

Title: Portrait Series: Edgar Allan Poe
    Date: October 21, 2011
    Scale: 8.5" x 11" Gunmetal Grey Card-Stock

Notes: I have plans to actually do one of these for a bunch of different authors to get a cool series of portraits going! I think there will be eight in total. This is also trying to go one step further in the graphite / chalk / conte direction.

WIP: Tesla Coil

Title: WIP: Tesla Coil
    Date: October 22, 2011
    Scale: 1000px x 1000px

Notes: A work in progress for the character of the week on conceptart.org Unfortunately, it passed, but I still want to finish this idea. It wasn't going to fit in the brief anyway, because the brief stated it that it had to be ultra-realistic and something that could actually happen.

My thoughts were this:
    Nikolai Tesla, through all his testing, has decided that he needed to make a practical addition to the military. So, through thorough testing, he decided to apply his Tesla coil and the thought of electrical power towards making an undead army to contribute to state defense. What better way than to test two things with one test. Apply the Tesla coil to a cadaver, and hopefully (with luck) the electrical pulse will re-power the cadaver to create an infinite amount of soldiers. This was his experiment...

Underpaint: Rivet

Title: Underpaint: Rivet
    Date: October 22, 2011
    Scale: 1000px x 1000px

Notes: Trying to learn how to under-paint in grey-scale...

There you have it... more soon!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    good work on the edgar portrait, can't wait to see it finished

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramalooke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do you have a little Poe in your life?

----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

Ramalooke: Actually finished it just for you (see below).

-------------------
    -------------------

Thanks for responding.

Just really doing a quick update on that Poe piece...

Portrait Series: Edgar Allan Poe (Finished)

Title: Portrait Series: Edgar Allan Poe (Finished)
    Date: October 26, 2011
    Scale: 8.5" x 11" Gunmetal Grey Card-Stock

Notes: This is the final of the Edgar Allan Poe piece. I have plans to actually do one of these for a bunch of different authors to get a cool series of portraits going! I think there will be eight in total. This is also trying to go one step further in the graphite / chalk / conte direction.

More to come soon!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    And it looks pretty cool xd Only one suggestion. Dunno what ref you used but you have to small value range. it makes piece kind of flat

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramalooke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The steampunk girl: For example, fingers are things of tendon, skin and bone, not just blobs of dough.
    Try to give your character a better sense of overall construction, it will have a greater impact and look more convincing.
    The human body is a mix of hard and soft forms. If it helps, divide your characters different parts into simpler forms and faces.
    What I meant with line contour is to have a greater control with your overall line I think, go wild with forms once in a while. I think Croquis is good for that.
    The Poe looks good.

Keep it up man!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ----RESPONSES----
    -------------------

Ramalooke: Hmmm... yeah, my teacher actually said the same thing. Maybe I need to find an even darker pencil

Rotor: Yeah, the steampunk girl was kind of a work from an older piece... it kind of needs a ton more work Will get to it though!

-------------------
    -------------------

This week's Artist of the Week! goes to MatejaPetkovik!

If you actually look at the overall work that he's put into his work from beginning to end... it seems completely consistent in both skill and expertise. This guy seems pretty much AAA in my opinion. Not only that, but he seems equally focused on traditional and digital at the same time! Keep up the good work!!!
    Hahaha, so apparently during the whole Haunted House thing that happened before... a bunch of the 'scarers' got beat up randomly. Like the people that were in the House got so freaked out by them that they actually punched out of reflex. Either they did an awesome job at the Haunted House, or the people that went are extremely violent.

Let's see... so I've been experimenting with new things involving art, mainly just digital painting now that I've found a good brush to use. You can see below... OH! And I finished my animation mid-term... that will also be below.

Here's probably what you've all come for, the art:

Dryad, work in progress...

Title: Dryad, work in progress
    Date: November 1 - 2, 2011
    Scale: Original is 2400px x 3000px

Notes: I MUST complete a Character of the Week contest!!!

Face Study, greyscale

Title: Face Study, greyscale
    Date: November 1, 2011
    Scale: Original is 1000px x 1000px

Clothing Study

Title: Clothing Study
    Date: Novemeber 1, 2011
    Scale: Original is 1000px x 1000px

Bits and Pieces of a Face

Title: Bits and Pieces of a Face

Halloween Background

Title: Halloween Background
    Date: October 31, 2011
    Scale: Original is 1280px x 720px

Notes: Current background for my computer... just played with filters to make a cool looking face (this was actually on my Pumpkin this Hallow's Eve).

Green Monster Walk

Title: Green Monster Walk
    Medium: Animation

Notes: This is just a continuation of my monster animation project that I've been working on... this was sooo fun to do

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; November 2nd, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    I love that portrait, how u used the white for highlighters works awesome. And the eyes look wiked too keep working like a boss!! =)

Thanks
    I like your imagination. And the drawing style. Especially that dog. Great work!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6