Bug Alien Design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bug Alien Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bug Alien Design

Hi all, Im looking for some of those awesome crits you guys will have.

I'm not really accustomed to drawing characters/creatures in multiple views and right now my sense of anatomy is far from good.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice/direction before I move onto refining the side view

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the creature.

I'm not a visual development artist either. But my first impression is that the arm up is not helping. It needs to read well with minimal overlaps. And it just looks weird cause why is he pointing? I would just put his arm down. You can make it different from the other one, but try to make the silhouette read easily.

Also, your side view is pretty close to being a 3/4 view. Maybe that is fine too idk.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you trying to make the pose exactly the same in all views or just get the design basically close? If the first, then the poses are really off, but if second, that's kinda close but the 3/4 view is lacking the upperbody buffness.
    If you need to get the pose to be the same, take some time to do a simple Sculpey model that you can turn around and use as a ref. It doesn't have to be really good or detailed, just that you have the same basic masses and pose.

Also... since this is a design, I have to comment that I'm not really seeing the "bug" so much in this one. It's a lizard with a alien-ish bug head, and none of the bugness is shown anywhere else in the body. I think you could take some elements of the bug-head and continue them in the body, like have same sort of segmented armor plating in the stomach etc...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The side view looks pretty unbalanced, I think you need to shift his stance a bit or make his tail longer and larger so it can serve as a counterweight. I think your colour rendering is pretty solid though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.