C.O.W. #228. Fantasy War Mount - VOTING!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your mount and head off to war:

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Highelf

7 7.87%
  • RicoD

1 1.12%
  • Tokoldi

1 1.12%
  • lkjhgfdsa

3 3.37%
  • AdrianNagorski

0 0%
  • Stjh

1 1.12%
  • matt kohr

16 17.98%
  • marko markovic

2 2.25%
  • Ricardo Robles

32 35.96%
  • Rob Powell

3 3.37%
  • Lenorekitty

16 17.98%
  • J-Sun

0 0%
  • Kobe Sek Yong Kai

3 3.37%
  • foofoo

4 4.49%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #228. Fantasy War Mount - VOTING!

C.O.W. #228 Fantasy War Mount_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #228 VOTING

Topic: Fantasy War Mount

Deadline for the voting: Sept. 21st

Round Requirements (read BEFORE voting):
    - the mount you design should visually represent the race that is riding it.
    - to help get some new ideas. The creature can't have the traditional 4 appendages. (I know, this one is where the challenge gets tough) more or less than 4 appendages is acceptable.
    - something I like to do in war beast challenges is add some war paint on it. So, ADD WAR PAINT!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; September 15th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW_mount.jpg
Views: 3508
Size:  414.4 KB

Artist: Highelf

Concept: Bhabi Monghadi - elf mount
    This little herbivore fellow is indigenous to hot climate forests, where this more tribal race of elves tend to hang around. The Elves domesticated the creature as a mount for battles that happen in other environments than their forest habitat, as it gives a nice high vantage point to do archery from. The creature itself can be quite a deadly force, flailing its long arms about wildly, not afraid to pick up, throw and fiercely slap enemy dwarves. The horns on the head of the male Monghadi are purely for mating and display purposes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JordyLakiere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist: RicoD

Concept: Skrah - amphibian Goblin mount

This creature is useful for land and water based fights, with its' 4 paws for walking and 4 fins for swimming. The Goblins sharpen the nosehorns for better piercing and cleaving. although a bit slow on land the Skrah is ideal for ambushing from the water or infiltrating enemy camps that are close to waterways. When the Skrah swim just below the surface of the water, the Goblin riders breath through reed straws. The Skraw are a bit vulnerable for attacks from above. Their tough and sharp dorsal scales are their only line of defense on land. The jaws are good for crunching foes and can pierce through most light armor types.

Last edited by RicoD; September 14th, 2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: a bit dark, needed some extra writing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicoD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW228_Tokoldi.jpg
Views: 2666
Size:  164.7 KB

Artist: Tokoldi

Concept: Arboreus El'abor - Elven War Mount

This creature is from the forest region. It's powerful hind legs enables it to leap great distances, and it's small wings allows it to glide over chasms and down from great heights. It is a reclusive yet brave species that is rare to see in the wild. It's skin is tougher than tree bark and it has senses keener than those of the elves. Having recognized the creatures' potential as war mounts, the elves set out to domesticate them. It is rumored that various sub-species exists, ranging from sea to mountain to flat land.

Tokoldi Draws!
    Tokoldi's deviantArt

"A man paints with his brains and not with his hands." ~Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: goblin war mount
    It flies, it has 10+6HD, a goblin scout of 3+6HD rides it.

The rider has pyrotechnic proficiency and 2d4 bombs of varying fuse length that do 3d6 fire damage and 2d4 physical damage.
    The lance is the first attack - doing 2d12 on charge and d8 in general melee.
    The mount attacks next with a wind buffet (lesser green dragon template) followed by a Beak attack doing 2d6 piercing damage.
    This is followed by 2 Claw attacks doing 2d4 slashing damage and has a chance to pin opponents of medium or smaller size (DC:14).
    Special attack is a defensive manovuer where the mount jumps away from combat and can either take flight (if able) or make another charge attack with the lance back into close combat....blah blah blah.

Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; September 14th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Adrian Nagorski

Concept: Gnome Draill

Gnomes are never quick to rush into war, they rather project the genius of illusion upon their enemies to win, this Draill creature has the threatening intimidation that hold opponent at bay, its symbiosis with gnomes for feeding at latter stages of its life due to their over sized antlers makes this symbiosis a great combination.

Name:  cow228final.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  340.5 KB

- - - - - - - - - -
    Things I Do Weekly -- sketchbook

Wasted - The game's production sketchbook

Ctrl+Paint, a place for beginners, many helpful videos!
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Stjh

Concept: Krawkan - Dwarf war mount

the Krawkan are fast, wild and very hard to control. they cannot fly even though they have wings and they flail and thrash about wildly as the dwarves swing their hammers towards their enemies. they chomp on anybody that gets in their way.

(apologies in advance for the small size, i lost my photoshop file)

Last edited by Stjh; September 14th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist: Matt Kohr

Concept: Goblin Tree-Clinger
    Goblin scouts are known for two things: the ferocity of their Tree-Clingers, and the foulness of their breath.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to matt kohr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lets ride with this ....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marko markovic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ricardo Robles

Concept: Sons of the Moss

“They aren´t recruited to fight, but rather we pray them to help us in battle. We don´t pay them like mercenaries, but they pay us with blood and sap. They don´t fight for us, they are the ones who need to be saved”
    -Sareeniak, forest Elves Beastmaster.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Wooly Horn-Head

A creature native to the mountainous regions the dwarves live in. The dwarves were able to domesticate the creatures and use them to assist in mining, smithing, farming, etc. The Horn Head is most useful during war. Their large bodies are able to charge enemies and their large horns crash and impale as they go. The Horn head is completely blind, in fact they have no eyes at all, so if a horn head is charging without a dwarven rider, it will not stop until it crashes into or off of a mountain.
    Name:  Dwarf War Mount Final.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  334.7 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnome War Mount

Name:  gnomebattlemount_by_brynnmetheney.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  253.3 KB

Artist: Lenorekitty

Concept: Gnome Curuvi

Forest Gnomes are excellent archers and only become deadlier on their curuvi. These creatures are experts at gliding through ancient oak forests and are known for being intuitive and intelligent mounts. The Gnomes decorate their curuvi with handprints, symbolizing trust between mount and rider.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lenorekitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Darkrunner
    Evolved from giant bats. Wings have developed into long striding legs. Back legs are vestigial for the most part.

Last edited by J-Sun; September 14th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Kobe

Concept: Bounce-Blah-Blah
    Orc's war mount that bouncing around in the jungle and warfield, create war drum sound from the war mount's tummy when it bounce on the ground. the war BEGIN!!

Last edited by Kobe Sek Yong Kai; September 14th, 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: image filesize too big dosn't need to resize

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobe Sek Yong Kai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: FooFoo

Concept: Ziggers

The ziggers, though having brains the size of a pea, is a small but ferocious beast. They share the same blood thirstiness as the goblins, and maybe that is why they will only obey the goblins and no one else..

Name:  war_mount_cow.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  508.7 KB

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foofoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everybody. just coming in to say everybody made it in the poll this week.

there were some close calls on the 4 appendages thing. so i should explain. what i meant in the brief was that the creature couldn't walk on 4 appendages without other appendages involved (sorry if that's confusing), so you will see that some of the entries do indeed have 4 appendages (including wings) but none are walking on 4. except for ricardo robles' entry in which case he also has the arms so that's fine.

sorry if anyone was (or still is) confused. and good luck in the poll guys!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Lenorekitty, I love Brynn's work. It has the quality I love of both having a distinct understanding of creature anatomy and an excellent eye for the fantastic. It helps that her rendering style is gorgeous. Other favorites included Ricardo Robles' entry which I felt really characterized wood elves nicely and matt kohr's piece whose work is always nice and punchy with killer rendering and great composition.

As a side note: I'm really sad that bluefooted didn't have a chance to finish their piece. If you're reading this, I really hope to see the final product on that, eventually.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Overall great work guys, to be honest I though for sure this topic would've generated 20 plus entries, due to the awesomeness of the topic, but there were a few people who were unable to finish (namely bluefooted and defiledvisions) which is always a shame, still a lot of awesome entries this round though, favs were Lenorekitty, Matt Kohr, and Ricardo Robles

Highelf: really cool take, I think you could've used the time to clean it up a bit since you submitted fairly early, because there is a lot of rough parts to the image

RicoD: Very nice rendering, the concept is a bit bland, looks too close to a regular crocodile, but an excellent execution, compositionally I think you should've better placed the spear, because it keeps leading my eye to that top corner

Tokoldi: a really neat piece, the rendering looks a little choppy in some places and the cyan rim lighting is a little distracting I find and it looks a little overdone, plus it distrupts the silhouette of the creature's head a bit.

lkjhgfdsa: cool piece, not too sure about the extra legs you added in there, the design of the bird itself is a bit generic becuase it looks like a large blackbird, also the pose could've been better to show it's design more clearly, good job overall though, your backgrounds lately are looking great as well, keep it up dude!

Adrian Nagorski: you keep improving dude, I see some subtle texturing, but it's a bit too minor, your forms are getting better, I think you should start doing some heavy studies from life teach yourself some of the basics in lighting, and try to avoid using soft brushes when rendering, I would normall use soft brushes to build a quick gradient and blend the forms a little. The esign is interesting, although I don't think a slug would make a good mount unless it is very huge

Stjh: a neat style you have, which makes it hard to crit, but I think some better understanding of anatomy and forms would help improve your style, becuae it legs are a bit awkward

Matt Kohr: Awesome piece dude! The colours and composition are excellent. I think you should've added some wear and tear to your characters here, maybe some bruising, dried blood, scratches, a flesh wound or somthin, because they are looking a little too clean atm. A solid piece overall!

marko markovic: very neat design, it's looking very rough and because of this all that detailing is a bit hard to make out, it's hard to tell what's parts of the design or if it's just a brush stroke, I think you could add some stronger highlighting as well to bring out that form as well

Ricardo Robles: reminds me a bit of a cross between the Ents and Oliphants of Lotr. Definitely looks like it'd be a force on the battlefield. with all those green/blues I think you should've pushed the warmth around the creature's head just a tad, even red war paint would've worked. Still a strong peice this round, great stuff!

Lenorekitty: Really nice painting, and cool concept. Although seeing some of your other stuff I think you can do better (conceptually, your rendering is just as good as I was expecting if not better), I think your just testing the waters, so don't be afraid to go nuts!!! With that said you earned my vote! Good work and see you in future COWs!!

J-Sun: Interesting idea, there are some slight proportion and composition issues but it's nicely done. You should try to avoid adding too saturated colours to parts that are intended to be further from the focal point, such as the hind quarters and the flag/spear, it should be a bit more grey and show some atmospheric depth and cooler tones.

Kobe...: neat idea giving it 2 heads, I'm getting a Donkey Kong vide from this guy, that's not a bad thing though, I do have to point out this looks a bit rougher than your previous stuff

foofoo: Cool piece, I think the image needs a bit more space on the right side to give the creature a little room in that area, nothing much else to say that I haven't already said in the wips, solid rendering as usual, keep up the good work!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man that was a tough choice between Lenorekitty and Ricardo Robles. Both awesome designs but for me Lenorekitty's beast had so much character and so that got my vote

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also really torn between RR and Lenorekitty, both amazingly well done designs, but went for the latter because of the overall quality and feel of the whole image. RR, something seems a little off in your colour scheme to me, it's a little wishy washy and could have used something to give it a bit more depth - hopefully that's not just my monitor! you guys really wowed me though - good job!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grimstitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff in here. Good job

37. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for lkjhgfdsa. I wasn't sure, thinking about foofoo, marko markovic, Rob Powell and Ricardo Robles. all those are my favs tho.

I saw way too many elves in here actually, my battle axe gets all nervous.

Highelf - I like the design, with fur and paintings it looks good and it sure looks comfortable to ride.
    RicoD - this croc looks a killer. I like "murkyness" of the picture. I almost can smell the swamp.
    Tokoldi - nice design and shape but somehow paws does not suit it much..
    lkjhgfdsa - I like the idea of multiple different attacks it can provide. looks mean and is those feathers are looking really good.
    AdrianNagorski - those horns are interesting idea.
    Stjh - it looks like crazy ride to be on top of it.
    matt kohr - fantastic illustration, but aside of the front part I can't really see the rest of the creature, and that bothers me. still brilliant rendering and painting.
    marko markovic - I love it. lack of description makes me wonder if those parts that look a bit mechanized actually are. like in gnome projects. design is good and I like this painting style - looks like real thing.
    Ricardo Robles - design and idea are kicking, painting is somehow scary, silent and.. and..I don't know, sometimes it looks like a good battle ride, and sometimes it makes me feel bad they have to go into battle.
    Rob Powell - I like this creature, simple, domesticated rough and strong. very dwarfy, only I'm not sure about it being blind - might be disadvantage in the battle still great simple design.
    Lenorekitty - nice and softy, like gnomes, and really nicely painted. I like it a lot.
    J-Sun - very nice goblin mount. I like nastiness of his bat face and rude shape of the creature. nice one.
    Kobe Sek Yong Kai - this one is awesome and funny and very orkish. very original idea indeed. and I like this light style of painting, good for depicting movement.
    foofoo - hell yeah. this one rocks and slimes I love render and general painting style. really good simple strong design.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sepu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job guys So many of high level works in these round.

The only thing that i found a bit disturbing is that instead of the creature to often character of the rider was playing first role on the picture.

Still, even with that some works looks simply beautyfull. No idea for who i gona vote (i wana multivote )

Members who have read this thread: 2