Fixing a mangled face

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Fixing a mangled face

I was going for more of a tattoo flash feel when I drew this but I've been staring at it too long and I'm pretty sure it's overworked.

I know the face is all mangled and so is the hair. What do you guys think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Well, it's hard to say how much this is supposed to be deliberate and how much of these are actual mistakes, but yeah.
    If you know the face is mangled, how about trying to fix it? The Loomis books go through drawing the face in perspective and there's lots of ref photos in Google. Rather try to fix the face as far as you can so we don't have to guess.

Anyway, couple things that bothered me aside the face.
    Why is she sucking the snake instead of properly biting it? The fish scale texture on the snake is nicely graphical, but it makes the snake really flat, especially towards the tail part. The flower wouldn't probably be facing us from that angle and seems forced. Her tears don't really look like tears, and aren't really following the gravity there. And there's a really bad tangent on the left side of her jaw where it and the snake meet.
    Name:  redlineladysnake.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  187.5 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, it's hard to say how much this is supposed to be deliberate and how much of these are actual mistakes, but yeah.
    If you know the face is mangled, how about trying to fix it? The Loomis books go through drawing the face in perspective and there's lots of ref photos in Google. Rather try to fix the face as far as you can so we don't have to guess.

Anyway, couple things that bothered me aside the face.
    Why is she sucking the snake instead of properly biting it? The fish scale texture on the snake is nicely graphical, but it makes the snake really flat, especially towards the tail part. The flower wouldn't probably be facing us from that angle and seems forced. Her tears don't really look like tears, and aren't really following the gravity there. And there's a really bad tangent on the left side of her jaw where it and the snake meet.
    Name:  redlineladysnake.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  187.5 KB

You ever have one of those days where you have no common sense and can't seem to draw anything right? That was my yesterday and you got my brain restarted check this:

Scales are next I want to keep that very graphical feel but you're right the way they are now makes the snake flat so I'll have to get into that and curve them. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks
    Having looked at a lot of snake pictures lately, I noticed that the snake's tongue isn't placed correctly in the mouth. Unlike in us humans, their tongues don't come from the throat. See attached image below:

Thanks
    Ok I laid down my preliminary colors and I did a quick sketch of the shadows.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    What's your reasoning behind the choice of colours? Have you done or tried any other colour schemes? (I might suggest choosing couple colourLovers palettes to test http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes ) I can see the blue-purple/yellow-orange complementary thing going on here but to my eye it looks more abrasive than striking, especially because all the colours are dead, grayish pale.
    The black/gray shadows and white lights makes it even look worse, so I'm hoping those are just for test and not the actual shadow colour you're planning to go with.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    What's your reasoning behind the choice of colours? Have you done or tried any other colour schemes? (I might suggest choosing couple colourLovers palettes to test http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes ) I can see the blue-purple/yellow-orange complementary thing going on here but to my eye it looks more abrasive than striking, especially because all the colours are dead, grayish pale.
    The black/gray shadows and white lights makes it even look worse, so I'm hoping those are just for test and not the actual shadow colour you're planning to go with.

Yeah that's just using a low opacity black/white brush just to get an idea of where everything goes.

This is it without that black on it. I just really wanted a purple face so I went and tried to get colors around it. My thought was to go for around the middle of the road as the base colors.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.