Business card design

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Business card design

So I made myself a logo. First business card ever. Suggestions/thoughts before I print any?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eyestrain View Post
    So I made myself a logo. First business card ever. Suggestions/thoughts before I print any?
    You're going to want to change your visual hierarchy.

Is Badeye Dog your company? If so you'll need to treat it like one otherwise it's better to just have your name. It should also be the first thing you see with what you do underneath it.

Then all contact info and you should have your number in there too but since this is the internet probably best to leave it out on the posts or just replace it with 555-555-5555

For the logo it might be worth it to line the deer's eye up with where the wolf's other eye would be letting the user scan across it and into the text. Right now it's too disjointed and my eye is getting lost. I put a real rough paint over of what I mean but you're still left with a big chunk of white space. It might be worth it to make the wolf head smaller.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neondevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Your typefaces clash. Pick a less rounded typeface for the small text.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I also might suggest getting a work specific gmail account. Having "eyestrain" is more uniform with your DA, but a firstname.lastname@.email.com does look more professional, and it would also put your name to the card, which seems to be missing (unless you edited it out for this).
    If "Badeye Dog" is your company name, then it should have your name in it so that people know who to ask for, like:
    COMPANY NAME
    Firstname Lastname
    -stuff I do-
    email, website and phone

Or something similar. The point is to be clear and easy for the client. And if this is not a company card, then yeah, I agree with Neondevil that it would be better to have your name in there.

As for the card itself, I agree with Neondevil (though I think the original is more balanced and the revised version has bit too much empty space) but I also think you might want to clean up the big font a bit. Especially the couple A and Y lines are really thin and have a chance of looking like crap when you print out tiny cards, so at least do a test print with your own printer first. Also the O looks really squeezed in and uneven, which ends up looking more accidental than deliberate.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Much appreciated. I have virtually no training in typography and zero experience in marketing myself. I'll have a revised card up in a bit.

Thanks
    Although this doesn't follow the suggested hierarchy and I haven't yet fixed the Y for print, I wonder if what is thought of something like this.

Thanks
    Why have you used six(?) fonts? That's really unprofessional-looking...You should really stick to 2 or 3 at the most. I'd also lose the "Hi, I'm..." bit - Not only did you fail to capitalise the "i", it's too informal for a business card. The people you give these out to will be clients, not your best pals.

Thanks
    There are four fonts, including the "logo" text. I threw Orator on the web addresses after the suggestion to avoid curvy fonts for small text.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks
    Keep it as simple and professional as possible. Over-fancy business cards scream "trying too hard." Also, the usual stuff--try to create contrast in size between elements and don't make the type so big.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion.

New draft. Name changed again because after some thinking I use eyestrain a lot more than badeye, and it seems the simplest and most clear choice. I also left off the phone number, because for the time being I'd prefer contact through email only.

Last edited by eyestrain; September 9th, 2011 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Hi matey

The last one is better, if you are handing over a business card to someone generally you are face to face and have already discussed who you are and what you do. The card is a reminder of those simple facts and provide contact details period.

if you fade the logo and the illustration, graphics and concept art text then you will strengthen the main information, the reason for the card.

The main thing that bothers me about this is the name you have chosen why on earth did you go for "eyestrain"? for heavens sake, you want to promote advanced high quality illustrations, graphics and concepts not something that is painful to look at "eyestrain" sends the wrong message change it if you can mate its not right sorry.

all the best with the project and I hope it works for you.
    It has to be clean, clear in purpose and uncomplicated.

Product information and services are for brochures and sales info only.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    I gotta agree with lightship on the name, it makes it sound like your work is painful to look at.

Also set up a margin and follow it. your text doesn't align at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,211 Posts
    And lose the "AKA". It is not professional.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Many thanks.

Though I understand the aversion to "eyestrain", it's a moniker I've been using for years and I suppose I'm willing to risk the somewhat negative connotations. I'll think about it, but it's pretty stuck to me.

Thanks
    The fact that you have been using it for years is completely irrelevant mate!! if you want work then you need to sell your self in a positive way you will have to be well ahead of the competition to pull in clients with that kind of moniker!!

It shrieks amateur with a silly sense of humour, honestly do yourself a favour and loose it, call your self John Doe "Digital creator" or "digital artist" anything that sells who you are and what you do. Brochures and business cards are the reminders that people leave with customers and potential customers and they need to be in a glowing positive frame because there are an awful lot of folks taking bites from smaller and smaller pies.

Put yourself out side the situation and think of yourself as a prospective customer needing the services of a good graphic artist are you going to go for John doe graphic designer or eyestrain enterprises or whatever.

I only want to get you in the best light mate not destroy you, talk to people (outside the family) and get some feedback, see how it is going to be recieved if they laugh its wrong if not go for it and tell me I'm an idiot, after all it's entirely possible

all the best with whatever you decide mate.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It took me a while to get back to this, but here is a revision.

Thanks
    First thought about the new card: Is your nickname "eyestrain" because you are so ugly? Aaaah, drop it!

From all the suggestion in this thread, Neondevils overpaint worked best:
    -the logo still had that piece of realistic conceptart in it which looked quite nice, the idea with aligning the eyes of wolf-logo and deer was cool. The mix between logo and painting also showed that you can work in two fields but are most likley specialized in creatures. The subtle deer head also showed that you have a lot of skill. Right now the wolf-head is just a generic wolf head and it doesn't communicate a lot.
    - the hierarchy was clear, it went: LOGO - NAME- field of work - contact
    In all the newer cards this is a mess: too much information and too many things asking for attention, scattered all over the card.
    Design has line of action too - try to look up tutorials about line of action in comics.

Thanks
    The clearness through shared font in the text is nice on the last one- and I think the real name with the "eyestrain" is fine, especially if that's how you'll be seen on websites such as this.

I think the non centered composition would be more successful, especially now that you've simplified things. Also, I agree with the above about the painting in the wolf, It showed off your work and logo at the same time and assures us that your work is in fact, not an eyestrain!

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Hello there,

so, it is getting better, here's a few more tips:

1. Now that your name is no longer "BadEyeDog", maybe you should change your logo (since it is a one-eyed dog, and that doesn't make much sense on it's own). Also, both "BadEyeDog" and "EyeStrain" really aren't great names for an illustrator - the negative connotations are not worth keeping your nickname - it's perfectly fine and even smart to outgrow your rebellious or cryptic nicknames as you go professional. (If it makes you feel any better, I don't put my old nick name on my business cards. Something about "Ms. Cracky Crack-Face McGee" just doesn't sound too professional to me. P.S. I've never done crack!)

2. It's great to see that you have narrowed down to one typeface, but before your next revision, keep in mind that there is a general rule of 3 - that is, 3 maximum font families per piece, and only that many is usually acceptable for larger, more text-heavy pieces (think newsletters).

3. This final one is something I need to do as well, though I'm really not looking forward to the amount of time and energy it will require... it's time to get an e-mail with your name.name@email.com - bummer, I know, since "nickname@i'mfun.com" is what we're used to and find personable and interesing. But it just needs to happen, to make everything easier for the client to reach you and remember you and see you as professional. Also, I'd look into getting your own website - preferrably namename.com or namename.net. Please not "eyestrain.com" - people will think it's for an eye-health center. It's great to also be on several art forums and sites (da, ca, etc.), but you can link your accounts there from your website. You can even make real easy websites with sites like wordpress and blogspot. (I use wordpress, and it makes upkeep super easy!)

If you do decide to brand yourself under a name other than your own (some sort of 'company' name), you may want to prepare yourself for needing to reserve the rights to that company name later down the line - and from working in a law office that deals with new businesses and LLCs, I can tell you there is a bit of work in that. Honestly, the easiest way would be to just brand yourself under your real name. But, you may never need to reserve an official business name, so it just depends.

Anyway, looking better and better all the time!

EDIT: I do see that you do a lot of nice animal pictures, so maybe your logo could just be a two-eyed dog? It just doesn't make sense to only have one eye without the name that explains it.

Last edited by Saramel; July 5th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.