Thread: Painting 101

Thanks

Painting 101

hey guys... my names chris, and i cant paint.

unlike many of you guys here, i am completely in the dark about painting. ive played around with watercolors, and spent a bunch of time in painter/ps trying to paint, but the best i can do is cel-style lasso tool painting, lol. i havent had any instruction whatsoever in painting, i am like a blank canvas so to speak. i spend time every couple of days painting, but i cant seem to get it to click. basically, i just dont know how. so im asking, can anyone give me some resources i can look into, or some info right in here?

thanks,
    chris

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well of course most people will say just keep practicing and practicing, everyone progresses at different paces. Even at an early learning stage the process should be fun, so just keep working at it. I'd try and do copies of master paintings or other's work you find interesting, try to emulate the style with brushes in Painter and PS, and the colors. Try doing something where you don't get into the details and experiment with shapes, lighting, and a little texture. But like I said before just keep practicing and trying out new things for yourself.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks
    yeah man, thanks. good tips. i was gonna delete this post because i realized how useless it was... i know what i need to do, hehe, i was just kinda put off after a few efforts tonite. please disregard this thread

chris

Thanks
    What kind of painting are you interested in learning? You really need to learn to paint traditionally first. Digital painting is a pale imitation of traditional painting.

Don
    www.seegmillerart.com

Ian Jones Guest
    hmmm, Don your treading on thin ice there...

I sort of agree, but keep in mind that digital painting is very very new compared to the thousands of years traditional painting has had to develop. besides, don'y knock your medium... :bash:

:rofl:

Thanks
    I think learning traditional is the key, take Jason Manley's direction for instance. You must first learn to run before you can fly.

Thanks

Ian, I'm not really bashing digital

Guess what I really meant to say was that in my experience, more skill is learned by first trying to master traditional technique. The whole bit of value, color, composition,etc is, I think, harder to learn traditionally than digitally because so many shortcuts that can sidetrack ones progression are available with the computer.... does any of that make sense.:crazy: maybe not, it is rather early for me.

I must admit, I do love the digital, just wish I got paid as much to do it.

Don

zak Guest
    whe i started to get away from cell style all i did to begin is smudge the edges so they are smooth, from there, you can just add more and more details

zak Guest
    im a CONCEPT ART GROUPIE!!! wow