My attempt at a landscape

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp My attempt at a landscape

I worked too long and used too many layers on this. Still feels like it's missing some kind of depth... Had a lot of trouble with scale as well, but fixed it the best I could. Anyone want to rip it apart, justify my vague sense of unease please...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dont worry, be happy

sorry it was a song in my head. Ok your Image

Yes there are a few tiny problems that you nee to address but theres nothing that warrants scrapping it or anything.

First change the Girl and make her legs the same size ish as she is at the moment the is on a different perspective than everything else and it looks odd.

The countryside is lacking depth because you havnt given it any, for example the road should be the thing that leads the eye into the picture, I assume thats what it was for anyway. So take the road to a mid point and hide it in a fold of the landscape. Re-position it slightly and then bring it back smaller and lead it off around the hill getting rapidly smaller as it gets to the low rise, roads rarely go over hills if there is an easier way around.

Then increase the size of the trees in the mid ground slightly and decrease them quite a bit in the furthest reaches.

Tell you what I'll paint it over and show you what I mean, please dont be offended or anything but its easier to show you what I mean.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Shit, I think I lit that hill really weird.

No, not offended, why would I be? Unless you're my lecturer who has a habit of drawing corrections on my originals (hell, even then I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to hand that shit in later... but never mind that).

So I took your suggestion to change up the road, and shifted the lay of the land a little while I was at it, then my scrub started annoying me so I deleted most of it (I'll add more, but that grass brush just really had to go) and ended up with this:

... Actually, I also ended up with this, which satisfies my fixation on bright colours more but is also a lot flatter compared to the other version... thoughts?

Last edited by miconazole; September 7th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bring the mid ground trees up a little more so that there is a definate drop in size as they diminish into the distance and soften the mountains a little more. Everything softens into the haze as you go further bach from atmospheric distortions and humidity etc. But there is time enough to study that kind of thing later on.

lengthen the girls right leg a little as well as she is on a different perspective to the rest of the scene.

If you want to study some more of this kind of thing for inspiration or just general interest then follow this link:-

http://mattepainting.org/gallery/mai...g2_itemId=1196

its well worth it, all the best with the image matey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda like the first one more, the lighter colours give of the effect of atmospheric perspective.
    I would remove that one tree covering the road. It's making the road piece too hard to see and I think the continuous road is a pretty important part of this painting.

I dare say so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the nice thing about the first image was the undergrowth and the texture! you have elimenated all of that and overdone the difference between the two slopes, and there shouldnt be that much of a difference its the same terrain. You get away with it with the girl as she is on a cliff.
    Go back to the first image and go for subtle changes and lighten the mountains a lot more, maybe add a few faint light clouds around the peaks.

seriously matey go and follow that link on the other post and just see how other guys are doing it, you will learn a hell of a lot.

Also and most importantly use loads more refernces in the work, if you can see it then you can replicate and adapt it with more accuracy.

I hope this helps, all the best to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Split the Diff

I really think you should bring back the scrubby grass, with the 'bushfire blackened tips/over regrowth' feel to it. Take on board those perspective and atmospheric notes, but keep the rough ground covering.

FG tree - make it grander, like a great big skeletal ghost gum Maybe the leaves should be thinner and longer? getting a bit round.

maybe reintroduce some of that purple into the FG shadows to match up?

the colour palette and design are GREAT - it really reminds me of home, and im getting homesick

no really, it makes me want to go camping/hiking around the flinders ranges or something - nice one!!

aa

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.