paul weller b/w
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: paul weller b/w

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paul weller b/w

have posted this its finished but people dont seem to like my stuff never get any replies to most of my stuff people view and leave not sure if that is good or bad thing lol,got one reply which was quite a good one on something else,so any feedback will be appreciated i am pretty new to digital painting about 3 months now ,so still got a lot to learn any tips or advice welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like it except for a couple points. The ear seems too far back and maybe a bit low? But his eyes are definitely of different size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    made some adjustments checked and the ear is correct position from ref

Last edited by cliffbuck; September 6th, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same for me, the ear is far too low(should be approximately at eye level) and the left eye is too big.

Concerning the lack of comments you receive on CA, you obviously got a good grip at painting people but on a picture like that, there isn't much to say except on the technique itself. If you want to have more interesting feedback, show us your pictures that actually tell a story. Those are the pictures that people will like or dislike and comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's great, especially since you've only been using digital media a short time.

I don't know Paul Weller's face that well, but I know it well enough to see a clear likeness here. I think you've done well with the feeling of structure in the head & the way the flesh sits on that in different areas: forehead, cheek, neck etc. They feel like they have the right treatment for each different area. I like the additions you made in the neck in the second version, with the darker creases.

The only small thing that bugs me is his fringe, but I'm assuming that's how his hair is actually cut in the ref...

It looks as though there's a jpg glitch in his hair in the upper right corner of his forehead (our right), not sure if you want to check that out or if it's just an upload thing- maybe it's a selection thing that you didn't fix properly?

I personally would also soften the transition from light to dark on his forehead on the top left, beneath those strands of hair- just seems like a strong line of shadow under there which needs softening.

I kind of agree that his eyes look slightly different sized but without seeing the ref, I think it's acceptable as normal facial asymmetry.

If you're not getting many crits, take that as a compliment. If people had anything to crit, they would let you know...

In any case, keep posting work!

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback guys i have not really got into painting pictures yet but that is next on my list wanted to see if i could get the portraits done to a half decent level thought if i could grasp the painting and blending on portraits first then go enviroments and perspective which seems to be a really big issue with most images i see here

btw this is my ref image and have checked the ears on this and seems to be correct but you can see if you can see it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Superimpose one image over the other and you'll see the ear is indeed different. Also, the hairline on our right has a downward angle in the ref and an upward one in your painting and some wrinkles are more pronounced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    made some adjustments to the ear in the original one the posts say well to low superimposed the image like you said and it was a literally a faction low you guys have good eyes ,3 pixel brush stroke put it at the right height lol was a couple little adjusts also but as said your eyes are a lot better than mine sorted out the hair ,i think it is better .but what do you guys think is more to the point

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont try to copy your ref... you need to make decissions based on your impression/feeling. what are the most significant features along with its details. emphasize those.

heres a rather quick overpaint to show what i mean, in the hope, it supports my writing.

Name:  cliffbuck-weller-01.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  77.9 KB

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep i see your point but at the moment i am still learning and new to art have not got the skills or should i say knowledge to work shall we say ,free have started to experiment more and still learning all the basics ,your overpaint looks good and i will take onboard your comments thanks for taking the time to help matey it is much appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.