WTF is a 4UP file?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WTF is a 4UP file?

Long story short I'm dealing with one of the most flighty and changeable clients I have ever dealt with. Suddenly at the very last minute she says she needs the posters to be 11x17 (originally they were supposed to be 4x6) and needs a .jpeg and a 4up file. I'm not familiar with this file type and I can't seem to find and explanation online. Little help?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's four images stacked on top. For easier printing I guess.
    http://www.homebrewunderground.com/downloads/
    So it's not a file type but a layout.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah no wonder I was confused. She said a 4up file but no dimensions. Originally she said she wanted a tiny 4x7 flier, now she wants those, but she wants the same image as a 11x17 and the work has been done for months. 9.9

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This whole discussion has the feeling of a bomb about to go off...

If your client is as flakey as you described, I think you better double check before you do anything--TinyBird is right, 4up is a press designation for printing four at one time, BUT what worries me here is the client's change to 11 x 17 at the last minute. This is out of left field, but it sounds like she MAY have talked to a printer and MAY have misunderstood him when she said her art would be 4 x 6 and he probably said "she could save money by doing it 4up on a 11 x 17 sheet."

This came to mind because the cost difference between a 4 x 6 done 4up on a 11 x 17 and a 11 x 17 done 4up is tremendous! The first could run on an "Insty-Print" press, but the larger version would require a press able to handle at least a 23 x 35 sheet. And I DO mean TREMENDOUS cost difference.

I would suggest, even if it annoys her, to ask her exactly what size a final SINGLE poster would be. Tell her you just wanted to double check so as not to make a mistake on your art... If you're confused by anything I just said, ask for clarification asap...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a very good point. I will make note of that when I finally get a hold of her. It's just one thing after the next with this lady. She's changed the times, dates, and basic information so many times. And without notice, btw. She just emails me new information every few weeks. Thank God for layers 9.9

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I spent nearly 45 years dealing with idiots like that, so you have my deepest sympathies...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I see my future before me. And it is bleak indeed. But at least it has a cute kitten face XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you charge clients for those changes? I mean it is a waste of your time after all. When I use to make websites, this same thing would happen quite frequently, so I started charging for changes and what do you know, they stopped making stupid changes . Eventually, I got fed up with dealing with stupid people who think websites should cost $20 to make and went into game design.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you have a contract with her. Size change is a big deal - charge her.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    1) I agree that this could very likely be 4 4"x6" images arranged in two rows of two on an 11"x17" page. What a big relief that would be!

2) If it is actually a size increase instead and you have to redo artwork, I hope you will at least consider charging a fee. It may or may not be practical depending on what has already been discussed, but a change in the job description generally should not result in free work.

3) Some clients are like this, BUT... you will learn to spot most of them based on the job descriptions they provide. You will also learn to bid a slightly higher price for problem clients to make the headaches worthwhile (or avoid them altogether).

4) Some clients know what they want, describe it clearly and are happy when they receive it! Cherish those clients! Love them. Thank them. Compliment them. Deliver their work on time and communicate well with them. You'll want their repeat business.

Good luck and keep on truckin!

-Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    maybe she meant 4k(4000 pixels - longer side) and up. Usually people use 4k as reference, i do. Ask her again, it's easier that way.

M

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go to PS.

Open an image.

Go to save for web.

On the tab bar there's the option of 2up & 4up.

Could be?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Go to PS.

Open an image.

Go to save for web.

On the tab bar there's the option of 2up & 4up.

Could be?
    Good guess, but unfortunately no. That just shows the image in various different compression styles, ie jpg next to png next to gif

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately no, we don't have a contract. it was supposed to be a simple flyer without muss or fuss. NEVER AGAIN 9_9

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.