Looking for critique and advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for critique and advice

Hi,

I'm all new to this community and was brought here by a good friend of mine after telling her that I'm looking for a place to recieve good, honest critique

The piece I'm working on is showing a werewolf and a bison in a snowy forest. They've been wandering around for a long time already but then some kind of snowstorm came up. The bison is supposed to kind of protect his owner from the snowstorm as its huge and massive and does not need to be afraid of any weather contrary to the wolf.

Long story short, I would really appreciate if someone would take a look at it or give some helping advice.
    So far painted only in SAI, touch ups gonna be done with Photoshop later on.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the mood of this picture an the heads of the creatures are very nice too.
    The front of the ison looks nice to me, but after the front legs it looks a bit thing and two dimensional. I would give it more belly and make the saddle follow more the flow of the body and perspective.
    The body of the wolf is great but I think the legs are a bit thin to hold the body. I suggest to make them a bit bigger.

Hop that helps for the start

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The light and shadows make little sense (if the light is coming from left, the bison should block most of the light that gets to the wolf) and choosing purple shadows is pretty unnatural for a day lit snowy forest.
    Lots of details have been put to rendering the fur, which in turn has made the shapes flat (especially the bison's face) and honestly, the fur on the werewolf looks like it was painted on top of a naked human. It's not affected by gravity or light or the shape of the body which makes it look unconvincing as fur and I'd honestly start over and make sure the lighting is correct.

The outstretched hand looks kinda lumpy and slightly broken, and it's bit too convenient that we see almost everything of the werewolf from profile, as it doesn't seem to be affected by perspective or our viewpoint.

EDIT: Also if this image is supposed to show a snowstorm, I'd expect it to feature more wind and show. Everything's completely still.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The werewolf's right arm is bent in a way that makes it look like they're broken. The forearm seems to be pointing downwards and towards the viewer while the upper arm suggests its facing away from the camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch for the critique! Helped already a lot!
    I really made up my mind and tried to take heed of it.

Especially after TinyBird pointing out that violet was a kinda dorky choice of colour to shade the characters I tried to cool everything down, using more blueish colours.

Corrected the arm and paw, as well as the mat on the bisons back.

Also tried to to stick to a light source settled in the left and back of the picture, not sure if that worked out... the bisons face got some more shadows.

Background is not started yet.

Again, i'd appreciate any opinions and critique

EDIT: @TinyBird: concerning the fur.. I don't think I will start it all over again, but I will definitely keep that in mind for the next time I plan to paint fur, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've made improvements with the mood but the figures still look pretty flat compared to the background.

Part of it is the fact that you've drawn your characters with solid blacks... plus the wolf is completely edge-lit, even on the back of his head where the bison is in shadow. I would either paint into the figures (over the linework) or continue the line work into the background.

Lastly I can't help but wonder why both figures are pushed over to the left with a big empty space on the right.

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the forms are still unclear. See attachment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Just a thought but shouldnt the bison creature be lying down as a windbreak, if its sheltering him its doing a lousy job of it standing up and leaving most of his body exposed?

all the best with it mate

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with Lightship, it doesn't feel like the bison is protecting him from the wind at all, or that they are resting from a journey for that matter. Perhaps if the bison was lying down and the wolf is pulling some sort of cloth over himself which is attached to the bison, like a windshield of sorts? Just suggesting .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marcatili, You're right, removed the edge-light from the back, it does not belong there

Lightship/Lhune, You totally gave me THE decisive suggestion. Making the bison lay down was exactly what the picture needed! Now it at least looks really as if it was kinda protective!

rabbit run, Due to the bison lying now most of the problems I had sorted themself out, but I corrected the leg and arm of the werewolf. Yet the feet are supposed to be digitigrade so neither bipedal nor quadruped
    For the hooves I will remember that one for the future! Was not so clever from me to not check that before drawing a bison.

Guess I will leave it like that, its still far away from perfect but I feel that I'm kinda done with it.
    Thanks for all the really helpful critique!

Last edited by Ginsterkatze; September 7th, 2011 at 09:52 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.