Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

The love of my life that is VINYL

I've been collecting records obsessively (to the dread of my wallet) for the past few years. I recently decided that I'm going to be listening to my whole record collection (I've estimated that I have at least 600 albums now) alphabetically and I'm going to be cataloging my records on my computer. It's the least I can do given how much money I've put into collection.

Right now I'm listening to the first record in my collection, AC/DC's High Voltage. It's been so many years since I last heard this... And there's a lot of nostalgia in this album for me. I probably wouldn't like AC/DC given without that nostalgia but no matter how I look at it there's always a part of me that loves them.

This is the first record that I've listened to in a while because I took a break and went back to listening to digital music, just for the general ease of it. I forgot how much I loved the sound of vinyl! The crispness and the attack... nothing beats it! It's the closest you get phonically to actually hearing a band live!

Does anyone else here have a record collection and listen to vinyl? At the least it should be something that artists support, given the large format display of the cover artwork and the emphasis it places on packaging.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm a cassette guy, meself. tho, considering how much I am into noise music and the weird ass sounds you can get from fucking with raw data, I embrace the 21st century wholly and completely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I've never been a big fan of cassettes. I think their sound is dull. Nothing beats the contrast of highs/lows with vinyl.

I'll be posting my collection here, by the way: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=JakeKobrin It may take me several years to finish cataloging it, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    I love vinyl as well and am slowly getting them recorded onto CD, crackle, scratches and all. It's the imperfections that make it more human and more bearable to the human ear. Perfection can sound cold as can overproduced stuff.

Record it as you listen to it and keep that warmth that vinyl gives you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Music just sounds a hell of a lot better on vinyl than anything else. I think it's the contrast to digital; it's working with a physical existence as opposed to that based on electrons. Something to do with the energy of physical things, i reckon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been a huge music nerd since high school. I always dug music but it wasn't until freshman year that I actually started really collecting things. I listen to a lot of different stuff, but punk music has always made up 90% of my collection, and punk bands are always putting out stuff on vinyl. I invested in a USB Numark Turntable, installed Audacity audio software, and started buying vinyl, converting it to mp4 format and putting it on itunes.

To this day it's still something I love doing, I'm anal about how specific my music library is on itunes, I always make sure everything is labeled, the artist, album, tracks, album art, genre, etc. As nerdy as it sounds, I kind of want my music collection to be a library of punk music, mixing different sounds, styles, generations, countries, languages and cultures. Got somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 7"s, 20 10"s, 230 LPs, and 600+ CDs

http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/StraightEdgeBastard
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post: