Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What's your choice?

Manual razors.
    VS.
    Electric shavers.

Just a few years ago I noticed my first ever bit of proper chin hair, and like most lads of that age, I did NOT want to shave it off. I felt like a man, I began to develop 'bum fluff' (for those of you who don't know what that is, its the wispy bits of pubescent face fur that all teenage boys get) some let it grow and spend the ages of 14-17 with their chin just looking grubby instead of hairy, others attempt to style it, so that their faces just look badly shaved, but the last group of people shave it properly. I was one of these people; I consider the to former options to be a terrible look.
    Everyone has that talk with their dad where they are told how to use a manual razor, they then go off to the bathroom and return with their faces covered in tiny little bits of tissue. It was at this point where I said: "DAMN! There has to be a better way!". And there is and was. The electric shaver! Less pain, less blood, less sweat, less tears, less loo roll.

I chose the electric shaver. WHAT DO YOU CHOOSE!!?

The inspiration for this topic came from trying (and failing) to draw realistic stubble, my mate was round at the time and he started the conversation, he prefers a Manual razor, he claims: "It irritates my skin less", so I called him a wuss and then made this post.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Electric shavers.

I just don't feel like being bothered with shaving cream.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    I prefer to go with an electric beard trimmer and buzz down to "designer stubble."

But, I often think about those old-fashioned "straight razors." Maybe I'll get one-- I really like dangerous retro objects. . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    I prefer to go with an electric beard trimmer and buzz down to "designer stubble."

But, I often think about those old-fashioned "straight razors." Maybe I'll get one-- I really like dangerous retro objects. . .
    Like one of those Sweeney Todd looking things?
    Just the mention of one of them reminded me of the main reason I don't use a manual razor: I am TOTALLY kak handed, if I can cut myself with a proper safety razor, I shudder to think what I could do with one of those things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyNSWOrLD View Post
    Just a few years ago I noticed my first ever bit of proper chin hair, and like most lads of that age, I did NOT want to shave it off.
    Speak for yourself. I don't like having stubble, it feels itchy and looks a mess. I personally use a manual razor, since it's what I've always used, and it gives me a nice close shave. I might give an electric razor a go at some point though if it's true that it irritates your skin less, plus it'd mean savings on foam and such.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Speak for yourself. I don't like having stubble, it feels itchy and looks a mess. I personally use a manual razor, since it's what I've always used, and it gives me a nice close shave. I might give an electric razor a go at some point though if it's true that it irritates your skin less, plus it'd mean savings on foam and such.
    Initially, an electric shaver will irritate the crap out of your skin until you toughen up to its unique action! (Kind of an irritated sun burn effect).

Also, electrics have the tendency to pull hair out and chop it below skin level which can lead to "razor bumps."

Thanks
    at the time it wasn't itchy because it was just fluff.
    electric razors irritate your skin more than manuals, but you cut yourself less and it's easier to travel, its faster, you spend less on foam and all that too, so yeah, electric is the only way to go IMO, I have rough face skin anyway, (maybe due to use of the electric shaver?) so it doesn't even irritate me, lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post

Also, electrics have the tendency to pull hair out and chop it below skin level which can lead to "razor bumps."
    Not if you buy a decent one with replaceable blades, so long as you keep it sharp and look after it it works just as well as a manual IMO.
    it costs more than a manual but you save on foam and stuff (but that's already been said.)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Manual razors.
    VS.
    Electric shavers.
    Beard.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Beard.
    well that's just cheating.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    A person with a Clint Eastwood avatar shouldn't be saying these things.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I truly don't understand this overwhelming need some people have to rank things.
    Red or six?
    Bacon or monkeys?
    Plato or a helicopter?
    WHICH IS BETTER, I DEMAND YOU CHOOSE!
    I wonder why nobody's quoted this yet.

Anyway, I have an electric one. Saves money on replacing blades and shaving cream.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...?...

Shave? What means? Shave what?

Actually, I use a 40-year-old safety razor when i have to get rid of the excess scattered here and there. Used a straight razor for about 5 years but quit when I got married--why push fate?

My biggest problem is shaving my ear lobes and rims... Yeah, I know...but when you get past 13 or 14 like me, the outer rim of your ear and lobes (not inside--at least for me) actually start to grow their own "beard." I didn't realize it until the horse lady came up real close, looked at my ears and said "Now I know why they called you Wolf Man when you were in art school..." There seems to be a new rotary thing that should solve that problem, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Sorry...have to go shampoo and comb my ears...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Ye olde safety razors here.

I don't seem to cut myself much and it swiftly makes my beard go away thus making me look much less like a crazy hobo guy.
    It works, I see no need to complicate things with technology.

You electric types that are "saving money on foam", is it magic golden foam or something? That stuff is about 2 quid for 6 months worth in my world..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Ye olde safety razors here.

I don't seem to cut myself much and it swiftly makes my beard go away thus making me look much less like a crazy hobo guy.
    It works, I see no need to complicate things with technology.

You electric types that are "saving money on foam", is it magic golden foam or something? That stuff is about 2 quid for 6 months worth in my world..
    I have no money whatsoever (it all goes on rent, food and heat), so anything I own I only have because of birthdays, christmases and elongated periods of begging.

Thanks
    And yet I'm betting your fancy electric shaver has cost you significantly more than my old school "sharp things on a stick and some foam" option would have..

Just sayin..

Also, mine works during powercuts and if I get lost in Narnia or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Any tips (other than patience) on how to encourage facial hair growth? I've had some nasty fuzz mustaches that I've had the sense to shave but I've never been able to grow anything close to a beard. It's been a long time goal of mine...

Thanks
    Nothing you can do man, maybe amuse yourself by growing epic 70s rock sideburns until the beard genes decide to play along..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Any tips (other than patience) on how to encourage facial hair growth? I've had some nasty fuzz mustaches that I've had the sense to shave but I've never been able to grow anything close to a beard. It's been a long time goal of mine...
    Amusingly enough, keep shaving. Once every other day or so and soon you'll have a beard approaching Dusty or Costa levels of awesome.
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    And yet I'm betting your fancy electric shaver has cost you significantly more than my old school "sharp things on a stick and some foam" option would have..

Just sayin..

Also, mine works during powercuts and if I get lost in Narnia or something.
    nope, like I said, birthdays or christmas :PP This way I don't spend money on creams and foams and all that, just new blades (of which I was bought a job lot last christmas).
    You're right about powercuts, but I reckon if it gets to the stage where I am without power for more than a day or so, shaving will be the least of my problems.
    and if I go to Narnia I wont be shaving, its cold there don't you know? A little facial hair can warm you a long way. :D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Amusingly enough, keep shaving. Once every other day or so and soon you'll have a beard approaching Dusty or Costa levels of awesome.
    Correct, 'A' is an unshaved hair, 'B' is a shaved hair, when you cut it it squares off, giving it a stubbly, rough feel (B) but, left unshaved it tapers to a point and Is soft (A). Also the more you shave the more hair you grow because your body thinks it's needed because the first lot keeps disappearing.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1315102940

Thanks
    Beard all the way. Although my girlfriend likes it nicely trimmed for when I see her. Also if I need to look respectable for a specific event I'll go over with a 6mm clipper and then wet-shave my cheeks and neck. I once shaved just my mustache off to see what it looked like, it was a mistake.

For anyone who says a beard is itchy, try growing it a bit longer and you'll get past the itchy stage very quickly and even a fairly long beard can be shaped to look smart.

And here's a reason to grow one!
    Challenge of the Diableards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    Beard all the way. Although my girlfriend likes it nicely trimmed for when I see her. Also if I need to look respectable for a specific event I'll go over with a 6mm clipper and then wet-shave my cheeks and neck. I once shaved just my mustache off to see what it looked like, it was a mistake.

For anyone who says a beard is itchy, try growing it a bit longer and you'll get past the itchy stage very quickly and even a fairly long beard can be shaped to look smart.

And here's a reason to grow one!
    Challenge of the Diableards
    To be honest I'm not super keen on the bearded look, I prefer the clean-shaven face. just for how it looks to me.

Thanks
    I keep a nicely trimmed beard, so definitely electric. I'll never shave it off again unless I have to!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I guess I'll try shaving more regurlarly. I generally shave once a week or so. I'll bump it up to every other day or so... And then when No-Shave-November comes around we'll see how it worked! Hahaha

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Correct, 'A' is an unshaved hair, 'B' is a shaved hair, when you cut it it squares off, giving it a stubbly, rough feel (B) but, left unshaved it tapers to a point and Is soft (A).
    Yes...
    Also the more you shave the more hair you grow because your body thinks it's needed because the first lot keeps disappearing.
    ...and no. Shaving has absolutely no stimulating effect on hair growth. The idea that shaved hair grows back thicker and coarser is solely a result what you've described above.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Safety razor. Straight razor. Real men risk cutting a major artery at the start of their day.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Electric razor. I dislike the thought that a sneeze at the wrong moment might cause you to lose a couple of litres of blood or more.

When I get 50 I will start growing a beard and never shave it so that when I am 70 I can dress up in a robe and wizard hat and demand to be called Gandalf by my grandchildren.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 4,531 Posts

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    You guys are a bunch of pussies. I only shave with broken glass glued to a motherfucking bat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast