Art: Vin's Landscapes - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McClain View Post
    Good stuff! I like the inks in here as well, been wanting to start adding my pen and inks to my watercolor thread, think I will now.
    Yeah, I was just looking at your watercolours earlier today and I'd love to see some pen & ink from you.

how big are these btw? anyways good luck I hope they sell like hotcakes at the fair.
    Thanks!

The paintings are usually 8x12" or smaller since I mostly paint plein-air and there's a limit to how much hardboard I can cart around in my backpack. The new pen & ink stuff is 4.5x6.5", the ones from my sketchbook are about 5x8".

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These were pen & ink landscapes I've previously posted in my sketchbook:

Vin's Landscapes

Vin's Landscapes

Vin's Landscapes

From photos I took on various trips. The first two were from Banff, the last from the Badlands near Drumheller, Alberta. In a few weeks I'll be off to Waterton National Park and I hope I can get a little bit of painting done while I'm there. Although it's more likely that I'll just bring back some watercolour sketches and photos to work from, to spare my guy from having to sit around for three hours while I paint.

Lately it seems like all I've been doing is preparing for the art fair (only two more days to go!) so all I've done is this watercolour sketch of the buildings on Victoria Hill on Canada Day:

Vin's Landscapes

We biked out to the river valley to watch the fireworks and the watercolour kit is light to carry.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the fair is over and done with. I sold a few things, enough to cover my table fee and then some so I can't complain. Handed out some business cards and did some networking which might result in an exhibition sometime in the next year or two. I paint small and my display was small, but if I do this again next year I think I'll expand my space and have a few larger paintings to catch the eye.

Part of the requirement is that you have to work while you're there, so here's the view of the street:

Acrylics on hardboard, about 9x12":
    Name:  tokyo_noodle.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  155.1 KB
    I was working on this on Friday and Saturday. It was hot and smoky, not the best working conditions for acrylic but whatever.

Watercolour on paper. Slightly larger than the above.
    Name:  whyte_ave.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  183.7 KB
    On Saturday evening the skies opened up. I didn't bother to bring the acrylics since I figured I'd pack up early, but I ended up staying nearly the whole day. I had the little watercolour travel kit, Niji water brush and field weasel with me. It's a really nice, light setup. I taped an umbrella to the easel and the whole thing worked so well that I didn't want to leave.

Had to pack the whole display in two layers of plastic. Next year I'm building a tent display out of PVC pipe and some tarps.

I think that the watercolour worked out much better. I see the occasional passage in there that I really like, even if it didn't photograph all that well. It was too difficult to do that detailed a painting on the street in acrylic in 30C weather.

Edit: My spot by the Noodle Shop was really good and I'll probably try to grab it again next year, but man, smelling tempura and noodles all day was tough on the willpower. By the end I was like "if I sell one more thing today I'm blowing the profits on sushi."

Last edited by vineris; July 16th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice on location work, I recognize the spot. Too bad I missed the art walk this year, be nice to meet a local

In your other thread you mention animal sketching at a shop. Where's that at and is it an open thing? Thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Nice on location work, I recognize the spot. Too bad I missed the art walk this year, be nice to meet a local
    Thanks! I didn't realize you're here in town. I'm occasionally at the Wednesday figure drawing classes at Harcourt House, if you ever go to those.

In your other thread you mention animal sketching at a shop. Where's that at and is it an open thing? Thanks.
    It was at Happy Harbor Comics downtown. It was $5 to draw and free to gawk, I think. It seemed pretty open, there was a wedding party wandering through at some point. I haven't heard about Jay doing another one so far, but I hope they get that goat in. I usually get the updates through their Facebook page.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I was working on last week before I went on vacation.

This was a quick watercolour sketch I did on location. I also snapped a photo, but the sketch shows the colours of the sky and some of the detail on the hillside much better.

Name:  sunset.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  rainbow_valley_wip1.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  rainbow_valley_wip2.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  82.4 KB

My working area. I really need to turn the easel to take advantage of the natural light more, but then I'll have all sorts of other issues with trying to fit everything else in.

Name:  rainbow_valley_wip3.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  rainbow_valley_wip4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  82.8 KB

I need to get this done by about Friday, so there should be a few more progress shots coming up.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  rainbow_valley_wip5.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  rainbow_valley_wip6.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  84.6 KB

So I dunno. It's almost there, but I'm not sure that it's unified enough. I like the composition and the rhythms in the pic, but now it sort of feels like the picture is trying to do too much.

Oh well. I entered it in a local art competition. Wish me luck!

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Luck!
    What's the competition?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Luck!
    What's the competition?
    Thanks!

The Allied Arts Council of Spruce Grove has an open competition going. Deadline for applications is today, so if you have a painting, $35 and some way to get to Spruce Grove before 17:00, you can still enter. (They don't need the actual art until Sept. 8) Here's their page. The prizes are kinda token but I need to pad out my CV.

Man -- speaking of Spruce Grove -- I went to drop off my stuff yesterday, drove right into the worst of the rain, and then I caught the hailstorm on the way back. I managed to reach the West Ed parkade by following a big white blob that turned out to be a van. What was it like on your side of the city?

BTW, Sherwood Park is doing a little Art-Walk-like thing every Sunday until the end of September that is free to enter. It's called Art in the Plaza. I don't know if you're interested, but you might like to know.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I live South of the mall a little so it was looking like winter for a few minutes! Wouldn't have wanted to be driving right about then.

I'm actually heading out of town in a bit for Europe, to take a landscape course with Marc Dalessio, so no local events for a bit. Not that I'm complaining

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm actually heading out of town in a bit for Europe, to take a landscape course with Marc Dalessio, so no local events for a bit. Not that I'm complaining
    Lucky you! Have a good trip!

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice watercolor I like your approach to the competition piece.
    Sean.
    Thank you! I plan on doing more of that in the winter, when sitting outside with the paints is impractical.

---

So I didn't place in the competition. I expected that there might be four artists in my category with better work than mine, and there were certainly some paintings I'd have picked over mine, but none of them happened to win. The strange thing was that I picked the winners in the other categories with a fair amount of accuracy. It's like my category was being judged by my bizarro-world double. I'm not sure there was anything I could have possibly painted that would have been selected by that (hypothetical) judge.

Oh well. Probably a good intro to art competitions.

Right now I'm starting a lot of landscapes because the weather is so unseasonably good. One is nearly done and two others are a fair bit along so I should have a few new paintings to post this upcoming week.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tis the season for plein-air landscapes again. Which is to say the season when the paint doesn't freeze.

A quick watercolour from a mountain trip in May:
    Name:  mountains.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  83.8 KB

These I started last summer and finally finished up for this year's art fair.

Name:  whitemud_duck.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  ellerslie_field_sm.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  127.5 KB

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Looks like you are keeping busy. I like the foreground handling of this last one very sensitive. Your mid ground , background and sky are too saturated or too much chroma. they need some atmosphere , greying down some. I think you would be wise to read up on composition and look at some landscape,cityscape work . You need to have a focus and if you want more than one then make one more important and devise a way to lead viewer through the piece and out. Your street light piece is a good example of not knowing where to look. the magenta sky could be a focal point but clouds on the right are so bright they fight for attention. Somethings to think about.
    Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mburrell View Post
    Hey!
    Looks like you are keeping busy. I like the foreground handling of this last one very sensitive. Your mid ground , background and sky are too saturated or too much chroma. they need some atmosphere , greying down some. I think you would be wise to read up on composition and look at some landscape,cityscape work . You need to have a focus and if you want more than one then make one more important and devise a way to lead viewer through the piece and out. Your street light piece is a good example of not knowing where to look. the magenta sky could be a focal point but clouds on the right are so bright they fight for attention. Somethings to think about.
    Mike
    Thanks for the input! I think you're absolutely right about the focal points. I'm not sure I noticed it in the streetlight painting but everything is competing for attention. Since I often do these plein air I need to get a lot better about selective editing.

As for the field... well, canola is not what you would call subtle:

Name:  canola.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  1.36 MB

That's really the charm of painting it. Is it the best handling of a prairie hill? I don't know but it did capture the eye-punching truth of sitting beside a canola field in July.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the one with the little bird in the water in the foreground. And your pen and ink landscapes. Quite impressed by the line quality and sense of light with all that white space you leave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualeot View Post
    I really like the one with the little bird in the water in the foreground. And your pen and ink landscapes. Quite impressed by the line quality and sense of light with all that white space you leave.
    Thank you! I've been doing a lot of pen & ink sketching with the local Urban Sketchers lately so I'm getting lots of practice in! Unfortunately it's all quick, rough work because we only meet for a couple of hours. It will be nice to do some more finished pieces again. Actually I did this still life just a couple of weeks ago and it turned out quite nicely: http://vineris.deviantart.com/art/An...hoes-386373118 , I think I'd like to do more work like that.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good vin, keep it up! I think the duck one is my favorite so far.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    Looking good vin, keep it up! I think the duck one is my favorite so far.
    Thanks! It was a really nice female Goleneye with a little horde of ducklings. Sadly they were moving too much in the water to paint them on site and none of my reference photos turned out even a little. They all look like a blurry duck with an amorphous black cloud behind it.

I'm heading out to paint later this week so maybe I'll catch a few more waterfowl. I'm all about the waterfowl at the moment.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy painting since the beginning of August, finishing up some older paintings and starting new ones.

This is from last fall, some hay bales at the University Farm:
    Name:  hay_bales_by_vineris-d6gezvz.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  103.0 KB

From a trip to a nearby provincial park a few weeks ago. I found a place to sketch near a pond where I liked the lighting, and it turned out to be a beaver pond. I got to paint to almost non-stop beaver chewing.
    Name:  blackfoot_beaver_by_vineris-d6jdvot.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  165.7 KB

A field on the outskirts of the city. Getting to that viewpoint was a bit of an adventure so I ended up settling for what I could get. It's a bit messy and the composition is kind of lousy, which is too bad because I really liked the backlighting on the sunflower. Oh well... live and learn.
    Name:  sunflowers_by_vineris-d6k51od.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  182.4 KB

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a nice left lower corner on the sunflower painting. Not sure what it is painted on and whether it can be cropped or not, but the yellow sunflowers look really nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualeot View Post
    You've got a nice left lower corner on the sunflower painting. Not sure what it is painted on and whether it can be cropped or not, but the yellow sunflowers look really nice
    Thanks!
    The painting is on hardboard, unfortunately. And while I've taken the table saw to a painting before, I rather like the big sunflower bud on the right and I can see no way to split the two without wrecking one of them. I am considering doing a second painting of just the small sunflowers, though. I took a bunch of reference photos while I was out there and they did attract me to that hill in the first place.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My second experiment in using a palette knife:

Name:  bridal_falls.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  299.3 KB

Two mostly-plein-air landscapes from the past month. I've been driving around the surrounding farmland trying to get some work done while the weather lasts.

Name:  reeds.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  callaghan_creek.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  190.6 KB

I've also started writing down what happens when I go out plein-airing. Because there's always *something*. If I'm not lost then I'm covered in bugs and if I'm not covered in bugs then I've sat down on a thistle. Here are the links to my dA page where you can read them, if you are interested in that sort of thing and haven't already seen them there.

Amongst the Reeds
    Curve of the Creek

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works of landscape paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm learning how to paint in oils! This is my 3rd or 4th painting, the first one that didn't completely suck. It was done from one of the reference photos I took at the Badlands workshop.

Name:  buffalo_jump_oils.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  91.7 KB

I passed this farm every Sunday on my long-distance bike ride and finally got a chance to come back with the car and paint it.

Name:  red_barn.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  150.2 KB

This is something I started in May of last year and finally finished. I may go back in and do a more detailed job on the brick. I don't know. Perspective is my enemy!

Name:  assiniboia_lilac.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  116.7 KB

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying something slightly new with the acrylics. Two mostly plein-air paintings from October:

The ravine near my house:
    Name:  a_candle_flame_by_vineris-d6szcq1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  170.1 KB

Fall colours at the University farm:
    Name:  fall_on_the_farm_by_vineris-d6uoa3j.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  140.7 KB

And here's my second landscape in oils! This is a remake of one of the first posts in this thread, but the attachments don't seem to be showing up. I'll have to fix that sometime.

Hills at Dry Island Buffalo Jump:
    Name:  the_folded_ground_by_vineris-d6ylgdu.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  150.5 KB

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the palette knife waterfall painting! The texture is beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! I especially like your pen-and-ink drawings from Banff. This thread makes me want to draw some landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Aqualeot and Notophthalmus! I'd like to play with the palette knife a bit more, it's difficult to work with but a lot of fun. And there's always more pen & ink work coming up. Check out my pen & ink thread if you haven't already.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acrylic paintings from the past few months.

A creek near my house, from back in the fall. Mostly painted on location:

Name:  smith_crossing_by_vineris-d7082ai.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  185.6 KB

Playing with the palette knives a bit more:

Name:  japanese_garden_path_by_vineris-d71dtqx.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  198.0 KB

Winter. This was from some photos I took last year. I was going to paint outside more this winter but I don't have a good setup for oils yet and it was relatively warm so that everything looks brown and disgusting. If I'm going to paint brown things I might as well wait for warmer weather.

Name:  winter_by_vineris-d75jd5p.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  220.7 KB

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 10