P.O.W.! Challenge 53 (A-B-C)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

] We're going back to our normal format now that the Illustration Challenges have started...sort of. We're going to keep the A and B format, with one Challenge from us here, and the second Challenge from a list of suggestions from our loyal participants, would-be participants, and that green-haired chick on Second Avenue who drinks a lot and giggles funny...

E will become C from now on, and we'll add some weird stuff sometimes just to throw you a curve...for example--this month (and possibly a bit longer), we're asking everyone to create a new banner for P.O.W.! (...see below).

THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR CHANGES MADE (AGAIN), SO READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!

All future POW! Challenges will roughly follow the format below, unless otherwise noted for a special event.

Every Month (more or less), three (3) Challenges will be posted from various sources--A, B, and C. All (except where noted) will run simultaneously. One (C), will be kind of easy and may seem a little beginner-ish to some people, but it's to introduce people who have rarely done sequential comics to some of the techniques, approaches and such they need to advance to the "Three-Quarter-Pounders-with-Cheese, please" level.

You can do any one, two, or all of them if you wanna make your mommy really proud. If you're a bit unsure of yourself yet, you can try doing the C part of each challenge. It will be a bit easier and less nerve-wracking because we're treating C as a kind of "learning the basics" kind of thing.

In all cases, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 53A: Kids in Space...

Sorry--best name I could come up with... We're looking for "kids" (meaning age 12 and under) who are either in space, on an alien planet, or in some sort of weird space/time thing, basically alone or with maybe one or two HELPFUL adult types who could be human OR alien. The kids should be mostly human, though they may have weird pets or friends. I'm looking for a "if we stick together, we'll be cool" kind of thing. It can be as exciting or as mundane a life as you want for these kids--it's all up to you....

Topic 53B: Post-Apocalyptic Art Teacher...

This was suggested by Droid, and has the possibility of being rather interesting if you really think about the problems that both students and teacher would face in such a situation, especially when considering supplies and such. One of the things you definitely have to contend with is "Why is there an art teacher?" Just why would that be useful in such a dog-eat-dog world? I can think of a couple of important reasons, but I'm not gonna tell...nyaaaaah. Keep in mind that this Challenge is Earth-based, and Challenge A must be off-Earth.

Either or Both-Deadline: Sunday, October 2, 2011, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of THREE to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least THREE pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. ......................................

P.O.W.! Challenge 52C: Kids...

If you're kinda new to this stuff, here's a little thing you can work on without losing your mind...and fingers...and sleep...

We're back to character-types again, and these particular characters are both a pain in the ass to draw, yet extremely important as parts of many comic stories. We're drawing (loose sketches, with more finished items if you really get into it...) KIDS (age 12 and under), in various postures, and in various kid situations (running/talking/playing/etc.). These can range from "cartoony" to as almost-realistic ideas suitable for a comic. Posture, facial expressions, height and head-to-body proportions are important in making us think "kid" rather than "adult." You can be as weird as you wish in approach here, as long as it says "KIDS."

Deadline: Characters E: Sunday, October 2, 2011, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

.................................................. ......................................

AND A SPECIAL CHALLENGE FOR ALL YOU WOULD-BE DESIGNERS/COMIC ARTISTS OUT THERE...

WE NEED A BANNER/MASTHEAD/"LOGO"

...whatever you wanna call it. It's our brand. We'll decide the winner by poll, and if we decide we need more entries before polling, we will extend the deadline for this one for as long as it takes. This piece of art is forever, after all... or till last Tuesday--whichever comes last.

The Rules:

• This is Top-Grade Art, so do your best. No rough sketches, WIPs, or jelly sandwiches will go to polling.

• Size should be approximately 1000 pixels WIDE by 400 to 600 pixels HIGH.

• The banner should present a clear idea of what P.O.W.! is all about--SEQUENTIAL PANEL (and other types of) COMICS-- and all that goes into producing them. Should be multi-color, and strong and clear in its message, which is "WE DO COMIX HERE!"

• Unlike the other Challenges (COW, CHOW, TEEN, etc.), we don't need an area for specs or "rules" for each individual challenge, because we're too diverse in approach to tie down to one set of specs.

• What we DO need is the wording, "P.O.W.!" and "PANELS OF THE WEEK CHALLENGE." Nothing else is necessary, unless you want to continue the tradition of the tagline, "Created & Published by the @&$#!! Members of Conceptarts.Org Forums."

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by Ilaekae; September 1st, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, that's a lot of homework, Teach.

Swim, fly, draw.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You only have to do one, Ducky! Besides, who the hell wants to do trig, Latin and PE anywayz...?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooh i do i do.......but i think i've killed too many brain cells for trigonometery hell i constantly forget my multipulcations table......but for some reason i can do a re-play of almost every movie i've seen........ all the dialogue to and i mean isle's of movie's

anyway's not too sound stupid.......hehe.......but i don't get the logo banner thing....aren't these things supposed too to be more simplistic????? maybe it's my lack of imagination but all those things seem to make a really complicated banner? like i could see the old comic cover style early marvel with the advertisements and dialogue boxes maybe as a banner but....i like the current banner/logo it made sense as a banner/logo i'ts simple and direct.........i'm rambling sorry!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with you here, but I think we can at least do better than what I came up with. Banners are supposed to be SIMPLE, DIRECT, and not interfere with what comes next. They shouldn't be stand-alone portfolio pieces, but that's the way most modern digital artists seem to be going in--toss in everything including the steampunk kitchen sink, a couple of orcs, etc., and we're done. I'd like to see something that says COMICS, beyond all shadow of a doubt, without isolating us to one genre...and your approach sounds like it's in the ball park.

I'm going to submit at least one myself, so how about we go head on on this one, J.S.? Even considering all the diesel fuel and Sterno that's run past the gums of both of us, I'm still convinced we can each get at least three brain cells somewhere to start firing and show these tadpoles how it's done...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it. What a great challenge.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go on guys! I need some inspiration, all I can come up with for the banner are generic superheroes lol I'll see if I can make the obvious work, or come up with something else

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking the banner will come together if we start with what makes a comic a comic. Panels, speech balloons, characters, and the concept of the Fourth Wall might be interesting. For those of you not familiar with this term, it refers to what happens on stage, in movies/TV/comics when the characters suddenly interact with you the viewer as if you were in their world/vice versa.

Historically (even though we now do many comics in painterly color on computers), the pencil/pen/ink/pre-printed grid pattern coupled with black and white only, or flat colors that are simple, with mechanically obvious gradations, are what first pops into somebody's mind when you mention comics.

As for stereotypical imagery, all of it's usable as long as we don't look too "Marvel-ish," Manga-ish, etc., at the expense of other genres. I'm guessing a somewhat surreal image may be one of the successful approaches, as well as any approach that has a scene, characters, and a vague in-joke reference to BEING a "comic." Can we determine that there is a definite COMIC mythology that might be recognized by most of the audience, or is it more artist-image oriented?

I'm going to throw an additional idea into this to actually make life either easier or more complex for all of you..."Why only one banner?"

What if we had a series of MATCHED banners, like a set, that depicted some of the major genres we fall into with the challenge? One sort of neutral that could be used over any assignment, and maybe a SciFi/Horror, Adventure, Military, Historical, Fantasy, etc., that could be used for more specific assignments. Or anything else that might work. If multiple people come up with great ideas that seem "too" specifically in one genre or another, we could adapt them slightly to appear to be a set, somewhat like those magic card games do with multiple artists but with matching standard "framing" to pull the whole mess together.

I'm actually going to spend some early time myself on this banner with a couple different approaches, so maybe I can help kick start something.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the inspiration Ilaekae. I really like the idea of swapping the banners around.

Was quiet at work today so I did a few very rough doodles. sorry for the crapness of the quality, took the pics on my phone...

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Angel Intheuk; September 9th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In challenge C are the designs for challenge A or just random children?

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome angel!!! i like the second panel the best......so the goods i finally set up my garage studio for music (YEAH-ME!) the bad is keep having to move my monitor back and forth or untill i get new one. or move my old comp. tower back too my room because i don't have photoshop on my new tower yet......
    but i have at least to pagers done on 53a

I am actually very hesitant on the logo thing i have an idea bashing around in the so called brain i have left but i want too get the challenge done first before i start on anything

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoping I'll get this done in time, this is my initial progress on 53A, first part of the first page, hahah!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, after the 50th anniversary comic I was out of the trenches for a long time, but I hope I'll be able to participate at least in one of these (I'm totally taken by a looooong comic I'm doing: just reached page 20 ).

Ilaekae, love the idea of the multiple genres banners. I have some ideas, that I hope I'll be able to delilver

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izitmee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo!
    back on and just saw these awsome topics!

first page:
    Name:  P1010336kl.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  246.7 KB
    I don't know yet how i'll finish it (style) but i probably go for a very simple Illustrater look - simple lines, simple colors, simple shades...

also have some ideas for the Logo!

Greez

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My unfinished proposal for the POW logo, done with good old brush and ink I still have to color and refine it, but I got a question: is the "!" after the "P.O.W." really necessary?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Izitmee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, actually finished a first page. I am lazy beans. Pg 2 and 3 here I come.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the wires around my wrist are for show!

s-t-u-f-f-!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  POW - logo.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  183.0 KB

just something quick and fun as a suggestion for the logo. The film strip is intended to represent storyboards though i don't know if that's something that's ever incorporated in these challenges.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so...
    colored my first page and it's really looking good! i'm glad I like the way it went, how about you?

Drygrass:Very nice style!! looking forward to page 2 and 3, i'm hooked!
    jssabastian:very nice stuff!

-Novalis-
    My Blog

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Izitmee, if I were gonna drop anything from the P.O.W.! ident, I'd get rid of the periods and keep the "!". Never liked them from the start, personally...

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEy everybody!!
    just finished page two!
    i konw it looks a bit minimalistic....
    but i think it's better to have the whole story and then go to details then have one page wonderfully done and rest just sketches...
    so enjoy and let me see your work!! or is everybody dead??

Name:  Page1&2kl.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  437.9 KB

-Novalis-
    My Blog

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina That's a really touching piece so far! I like your simple graphical style too. Thought I'd comment so you didn't feel alone here lol. I'm working on caricatures atm which has a deadline I'm hoping to have time to contribute too.

Sir Seb That should be your new name That is a nice looking comic so far, I like the energy of your lines and the story looks really interesting.

Drygrass Aw that is so cute, I like the concept.

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one community activity that I've neglected for to long! Shame on me,

Actually wanna try make a awesome logo POW the hard part is coming up with something punchy. Will post progress in the next few days as time permits

- - - - - - - - - -
    Things I Do Weekly -- sketchbook

Wasted - The game's production sketchbook

Ctrl+Paint, a place for beginners, many helpful videos!
    - - - - - - - - - -

46. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ack, finally done second page. Sloppy work, BUT WHATEVS. Probably going to try for more than 3 pages. :o wish me luck!

Page 2: OH S&!@ FOSSILS

ex-machina: Love the minimal look, and I really dig your flow and layout.
    j.s. sabastian: Hard to tell what's happening without the text! ;_; (edit!) well, after I looked back at it's not too hard to tell after all. ^^; Still I look foreward to text! If there is some. Look I'm going to stop talking now. >_>

Last edited by Drygrass; September 24th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Got the minimum three pages. Let's hope I can go for the full five I planned for. :|

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drygrass, that is a good three pages. Interesting story.

AdrianNagorski - looking forward to any input you've got going on.

ex-machina these look really good. Nice concept.

Blankslate - nice logo!

I've been having quite a month. I have a logo kind of done and a few pages just short of some inking. Hoping to get it together this time, but as usual its hard to tell when life will be crazy at you.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

52. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a couple of requests PM'd to extend the banner/logo ONLY (not the comics) till the end of the NEXT Challenge, which I did mention I might do...so consider it so if anyone wants to still try one (or a second one). I have a couple myself that I'll try to finish and get in the next couple of days.

54. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last page I'll be able to muster up before deadline. Tomorrow is 24 hour comic day, so I probably won't be able to finish the last two pages before Oct 2. :L I'm glad I got this far tho!

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

stuff!!!

editing....(done)

first off i want to apolegizer--- for the quality of art it's my drunkasses fualt!
    and to make more excusses i still have a hard time working with a tablet and photoshop i'm alway's zooming in while trying to do line work.....i piant faster then i think about lines.....fucking P.O.W! man

anywho in page 4 boy goes to rescue girl with the gundam page 5 was to be a splash.........soooooo tired........

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: alway's bitting off more than i can chew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There will be a forth page!!!
    but for now i have to take a break, i've some problems with my hand...
    But i've still got some time until deadline, so there will be a forth page!!!
    third page turned out to be not that great as imagined, but all i can say is time....there is no time!!
    j.s.sabastian: great stuff! although very very messy. I can't really follow a flow, it's like every panel wants to be read at the same time...
    drygrass: very nice too! in page two in the last panel, i can't read the text...but that's a minor detail...i like the expressions of the two kids!!

-Novalis-
    My Blog

59. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1