A Photoshop Question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Photoshop Question

Hey everyone I was just wondering if you could help me out with a problem I'm having, whenever I go to colour something in photoshop I tend to just darken the pencil lines (I like preserving the energy of the sketch) but in an attempt to broaden my abilities I'd like to start using the brush tool to trace over my pencil lines or even draw straight into photoshop.

The problem is I'm clueless, I've looked up some tutorials but they all just seem to be step by steps or not exactly what I'm looking for :/ my lines always come out wobbly and when I'm finished it just looks flat, the lines don't join up and the weights look terrible, the whole thing is frankly awful.

So please if you have any advice, any tutorials or brush settings that might help out I would greatly appreciate your input

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you using a tablet? If you are, and have a decent tablet, you just need few weeks or months (depending on how often you do this) of practice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Use a tablet, scan the sketch in at a high resolution or sketch a rough underdrawing, toss a new layer on top. Set your brush width (I use the pencil tool so I can select all the inks using the magic wand) to vary with pen pressure and zoom in to ink (200% or so). Ink mainly up & down, lock your wrist for long sweeping lines, don't be afraid to flip or rotate your image if it makes a line easier to do. Open two windows to your image, one zoomed in, one zoomed out to 25% (or so) so you can see what you're doing without zooming in & out all the time. If you mess up your lines, zoom right in there and fix 'em.

Oh yeah, and practice lots.

If you have nothing but a mouse, invest in some nice paper and a dip pen. Your hands will thank you.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, like Vineris said. No gently/carefully "building" or flicking your line. Bold big moves with your whole arm. Your drawing hand on the tablet, the other ready on the ctrl-z keys to undo when you miss the target. Ctrl-Z is your friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the replies I'm using an Intuos4, I've used it a lot in the past to colour but digital inking is completely new to me.

I try to do big strokes but my lines still come out with wobbles in them, I'll try putting my whole arm behind it instead of just trying to flick my wrist and of course keep practising

My main concern is keeping the energy from the sketch, at the minute my inked drawings are coming out looking like bad vectors

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Post some art, so we can see what the issue is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you will get much more informed feedback if you post an example.

The above advice is good. You may also need to work at higher resolution. Maybe you need to zoom in more... maybe you need to change your tablet settings. There are many factors that can affect line quality.

Rock on.
    -Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.