Sketchbook: David Keen's Sketchbook - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another little update for my Guardian of Atlantis piece.

@Wheels: Oh man! I drew some kind of creepy merman underwear model! That has definitely been the belly button of this piece. I never really noticed how low the waistline of his seaweed wrap was, as it stood not much was left to the imagination.

As far as showing where the tail and body meets I think you're right that it's important for unifying the design but I also thought your suggestion for adding a little more armour to increase the warrior look was on the money. With this in mind I decreased the size of the tail to make it a little more proportionate to his torso and completed a second pass on the base of the seaweed wrap thing. Tomorrow I'll add a few plates of armour around the sigil and weave them into the seaweed to give it a stronger relationship with the gladiatorial style armour that you suggested I look at. I think the gladiatorial armour pieces fit really well with the guardians personality as an extremely aggressive warrior who is more focused on attacking than defending himself. Hopefully these changes will help to solidify the design as a single figure despite not showing where the torso and tail join.

Your advice was as always welcome and has helped contribute to creating a stronger character which is the most important thing. Colouring can always wait another day or so.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by David Keen; February 19th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far Eb. Glad that I can be of help.

The only thing I have to say is the tail still looks too big for his body. Try scaling it up or down a coupe of times in photo shop and look at the line up. Pick the one that looks best and go from there. Think about how a fish's body tapers and bulges when it moves and were. Let that inform your decisions.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are definitely right. I need to get more figurative pieces in my sketchbook. Currently looking for good anatomy sources so I can do some crazy practice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scribblelizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Eb!
    I expect to see that final version of the Guardian! heh heh.

So you want a surprise eh? I'm thinking all our ideas are cool but seem big in scale for now. IE finished illustrations. These are great but take a lot of time while smaller gigs help work on fundamentals and builds up volume of material. So this week, I'm going to push you out of your comfort zone. Based upon what I see in your sketchbook, it's all figurative with a few landscape studies. You need more hard surface stuff to round out the portfolio so I'd like to see some Industrial design from you in the form of a Jet Pack. I don't want to see a character design. I do want to see how it would be worn and I want to see the design with ortho's and a color final. Check out this resource http://www.idsketching.com/toolbox/t...-of-sketching/

Start off with a page or two of sketches to knock out forms and work on perspective and design.

Does this work for you?

We are starting to pick up some steam here, should we move this to community activities or Mentoring forums? No idea what the etiquette is on this one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack18 View Post
    Hey Eb!
    I expect to see that final version of the Guardian! heh heh.

So you want a surprise eh? I'm thinking all our ideas are cool but seem big in scale for now. IE finished illustrations. These are great but take a lot of time while smaller gigs help work on fundamentals and builds up volume of material. So this week, I'm going to push you out of your comfort zone. Based upon what I see in your sketchbook, it's all figurative with a few landscape studies. You need more hard surface stuff to round out the portfolio so I'd like to see some Industrial design from you in the form of a Jet Pack. I don't want to see a character design. I do want to see how it would be worn and I want to see the design with ortho's and a color final. Check out this resource http://www.idsketching.com/toolbox/t...-of-sketching/

Start off with a page or two of sketches to knock out forms and work on perspective and design.

Does this work for you?

We are starting to pick up some steam here, should we move this to community activities or Mentoring forums? No idea what the etiquette is on this one.
    Mm, it could be easier if we had all this going on in just one thread. No hassle with hopping from thread thread. Community activities subforum should be fine if you guys want to move to one thread.

Last edited by Eelis Kyttänen; February 21st, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go boys, I called it The Daedelus Workshop Study Group and put it in the Mentoring forum. Sound good? I didn't go with the Emerald Daggers Idea as it's been done and we are unique! This is going to be fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a still life study that I knocked off in around 35 mins. I lost the image half way through which was a shame but the reworked version ended up being okay. It was good practice for using texture overlays in a simple image so I could see their effects quite clearly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works, I like how you use line in your gestures ))

16. The Following User Says Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Stuff EB. You can never go wrong with a still life. So did you lose the image because you got hungry? lol.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another still life today. 35 mins

@in2eternity: Thanks for looking at my SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apples, bananas, and mermen oh my! You seem very motivated in your studies. This is good.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dustbunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, here is a ID project that I've been working on with the help of my fellow Daedelus workshop compatriots. It's been great fun getting stuck into this one as I haven't done very my ID work before and seeing how the topic is organically growing has been very pleasing. There are some notes on how the jetpack is mean't to work in the blank spaces on the page but I now see that I really need to clarify the operation more clearly. I'll address this in my next update but the basic idea is that the jetpack is also a shield and can be used for both flight and defence. The user can strap it onto their back and the straps will extend to secure them in place while the crest panels will collapse inside the shield and the thrusters will extend. When in shield mode the thrusters will retract and the energy strap emitter will rotate from a horizontal position to a vertical position so it secures the users arm in place. Having so many moving parts in this design is a great challenge for me and I'm enjoying how difficult to is to vocalise the way I see the jetpack operating in my head.

@Dustbunny: Thanks for having a look at my sketchbook.

Last edited by David Keen; March 8th, 2012 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that banana still life boggles my mind. I have no idea how you did it, great job!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to liquorbleu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! You should post more =D

As you can see I finally have a sketchbook up too! Going to try and obsessively update it everyday - see how long that lasts!

I very much like your still lifes.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie Sprod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to an armoured life drawing session last night with Carrie_Sprod which was great fun. I haven't had the opportunity to do any formal life drawing for a few months so a bit of time was spent stretching the muscles but things got rolling reasonably quickly. I'm looking forward to trying some painting in one of the upcoming sessions.

@liquorbleu: Thanks very much! The still life's are so much fun to do. Your comment reminded me that I need to churn out a few more soon.

@Carrie: Thanks for having a look more stuff incoming!!

Last edited by David Keen; March 25th, 2012 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just starting work on a series of paintings based on the short story "Awakening of Evarun" by author Thomas Barczak. There will be five paintings in total which will depict various scenes from the book. I'm incredibly excited to get started and will be working on a slew of character concepts and composition studies to prepare for the finals. The short story is a great read especially if you're into fantasy and at $2.99 it's a pretty safe gamble. As always any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This image is of the main character Talus, through whom the reader experiences the story. Talus has been through a bit of a rough patch so he's slightly under the weather which I'll try and convey a little more in upcoming sketches.

Last edited by David Keen; March 25th, 2012 at 05:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a moment of weakness yesterday and rather than doing homework decided to revisit an image from a few months ago from post #51 of my sketchbook. It was really confronting, but satisfying to paint over the original image and try again. It's still clearly a work in progress but I'm much happier with the way things are heading and am looking forward to continuing to build the image. Every aspiring genre artist should have at least one dragon in their portfolio right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more quick poses from a life drawing session last night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update on the dragon piece I've been working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got some thumbnails for one of my upcoming "Awakening of Evarun" paintings to post today. After reading this post from Donato on Muddy Colours I felt assured in pursuing the very early thumbnail stage as more of an exercise in shape exploration and play. It was great fun to just go crazy with values and only vaguely consider the final painting at this stage in the process. After getting a little bit of feedback from the Daedelus guys I've tried to explore the forms a little more clearly in the second page and to keep a more diverse range of values present. The second page is by far the more successful one and I think there are a few decent thumbs that are worth developing in greater detail.

I've also thrown up a still life with which I attempted to re familiarise myself with oil paints. I feel extremely rusty and have a long way to go but enjoyed the process of using actual paint for a change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, nice updates! The dragons coming along nice, I am not sure about some of the changes in the most recent update of it though. It was nice having the warm colour coming through in the background behind its head, and also the newest head seems to be pretty mechanical and cold. Is fine if that’s what you are aiming for, but I sort of liked the majestic ancient knowledge coming through in the earlier design. That said, the more streamline design would be more aerodynamic! I also liked the tuffed of white fur on its tail because I havnt seen that done on western dragons before, but thats a personal preference I think.

Really like the thumbnails, very expressive!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie Sprod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paint, real paint. What's that? Heh heh. Good stuff with the study and I'm little jealous that you get to play with real materials. Painting water is a bitch and you did a good job representing all that reflected light and surface contours of the container. The second set of thumbnails read much better. So far, I'm drawn to the vertical composition on the top right.

Keep em comming.

Cheers!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've taken a few of the Awakening of Evarun thumbnails to a more developed sketch. I didn't use any reference at this stage as I was more concerned with the placement of the different elements and composition than the anatomical accuracy, so there will be some errors. I'm currently favouring the first two sketches, they are more dramatic and visually interesting to me but I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

I've also uploaded a scan of another still life in oils. I have mixed feelings about all my traditional painting at the moment mainly because some of the accuracy of drawing and digital painting isn't translating into my oils at this point. I'm really enjoying the process of oil painting though and am feeling more comfortable with the medium, hopefully accuracy will come with time and practice.

@Carrie: I think you make a really good point about the warm light in the image. The latest iteration is looking pretty well stuck in the greys which isn't what I'd originally intended. After speaking to Wheeljack I'm going to look at a new composition for this piece so I will definitely keep your feedback in mind as I mock things up. Thanks for having a look .

@Wheels: What is up with that real paint stuff? I've really been enjoying getting my hands (and everything I'm wearing) dirty with some real paint. It's been good to focus on simple images to start with and my confidence with oils is starting to become a little more steady. I've got some more still life pieces drying at the moment which I'll upload soon.

Last edited by David Keen; April 9th, 2012 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After talking to my friend Wheeljack I decided to have another shot at the composition of the dragon image I was working on to come up with something a little more dynamic. So far I've just got some thumbs and a couple of quick sketches but I'm enjoying trying to solve the compositional problems in this image a lot more than being completely focused on rendering in my previous portrait-like dragon painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Below are the final compositions and thumbnail explorations for the first two paintings in the Awakening of Evarun series. I’ve started reading through Andrew Loomis’ book Creative Illustration which is currently out of print and available for free here from Escape From Illustration Island. The book has been most enlightening so far and I look forward to getting through the rest of it.

I had a pretty strong idea of what I wanted for the second painting, but realised after looking at the completed thumbs that I’d stuck far too close to that idea and didn’t really explore. It’s something that I’ve taken note of for the next batch of thumbs in which I’ll strive to create more variety in the compositions. That being said I’m quite pleased with the placement of the figures in the final sketch, the poses may be adjusted slightly once I have photo reference to draw from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Your Sketchbook

Thank you - nice stuff. I like seeing Sketchbooks .Actual Sketches ,you know, what the word implies - pencil put to paper. Or a variation of.
    I went down the list through many ,till I got to yours, which appeared to be "Sketches".
    I guess I am naive, but why all the Computer aided stuff in a Sketchbook category ?
    Anyway, keep up the good work. You will certainly progress with this method.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to bbigd0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool thumbnails, man. I plan on working more and more on composition as well, and I know this kind of thing would help me out. Thanks.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've recently finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and after thoroughly enjoying felt inspired to do a little mock cover. The figure is almost entirely from my imagination which is a little bit naughty but it was really nice just to sit back and draw what was in my head.

@bbigd0: Thanks for stopping past my sketchbook I do try and keep a balance of traditional and digital media in my work but most people on this forum use the sketchbook category to display any sketches and works in progress regardless of media. You'll probably find that the majority of work going up will be executed digitally.

@MrFrenik: It's nice to know you've been checking back in on my thread mate. I'll be visiting you soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few master studies and figure drawing practice today. It was really nice to get a minute to take a break from uni work and get back to the old routine. I'll be uploading some scans of my final drawings for the Awakening of Evarun paintings soon so stay tuned!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.