Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: David Keen's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Here's a few more figure sketches and some quickies for the week's CHoW. Anyone have a favourite of the three? There will be some more to come.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'd say # 2 is the best so far. #3's left arm is akward and #1 has already been used. #2 to me gives you the most to work with. Too early for any more crits until you take it further. I'm not going to weight in on this Ch0w as the subject doesn't particularly inspire me. Instead I may try the Cow although I'm not too inspired by that one either... I'm such a snob! lol.

"@Wheeljack: I can't really fathom that you're having to spend the days shovelling snow off the roof and over here it's just starting to gear up for the 40 degree days (somewhere over 100 degrees Fahrenheit). We tend to have a lot of seafood Christmas's in Australia because the traditional meal suits the white Christmas more than it does the sweltering heat." MAN, anything over 30 and I just shut down. The last thing I want to do for a vacation is go somewhere so warm that you sweat in the shower! Up here it hasn't been too bad and we are lucky that we get Chinooks so the weather can be -20 one day and + 12 the next. We have a saying " If you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes".

Thanks
    I'm a douche! I voted on the Ch0w and I didn't click in your box too and they only allow you to vote the one time. Gaah, I meant to vote for you buddy but I screwed up. I'll vote for you on the stalker though.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Here's a couple more sketches for CHoW.

@Wheeljack: Haha! Don't worry about it mate, at least the poll is up so we can call that one done soon. For the stalker topic I'm leaning towards combining #2 and #3, mainly just because I like the helmet on the #3. Although the whole topic is pretty clichéd the straight up gas mask on #2 feels really boring to me. Did you decide to weigh in on anything this week in the end? The Cow and Eow topic both seem pretty uninspiring.

I would greatly prefer living in your climate, being able to rug up with coats and sweaters is great but public decency prevents us from wearing the adequate amount of clothes for the really hot days. But it is nice to start the car in the morning without having to chip off a layer of ice and run it 20 mins in advance.

Thanks
    Hey man, I see there are no updates on the stalker. Did you decide to give up the ghost? I just didn't feel it for the topics that were proposed this week. We'll see what next week has in store and I'll let you know if I decide to weight in.
    It's interesting that you'd prefer the Canadian climate over the austrailian one. Most folks wish they lived someplace warm. The trick is to run the car for 20 min with the defroster on before you attempt to chip off the ice. The defroster will loosen it up to help out the cause.

As an Aside, I met up with a buddy who just moved home from Sydney and he told me that you guys pay $30 bucks for a movie and $120 for a video game. WTF! That's crazy expensive.

TTYL

Merry Christmas!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have some beautiful art!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And the great studies continue!

Must admit, I like the foot being so extremely vague (in one of your first wips) better. But you can never satisfy everyone His face is very well done btw!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Overtoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Jarrad: Thanks so much!

@Overtoom: I quite liked the foot being pushed back as well, but it does help solidify the character to have things a little more detailed. You're right about not being able to please everyone, I can't even make my own mind up about which I preferred! Happy new year!

Here are some quick sketches for Cow. The brief asks to be really crazy with the designs but I realised recently that I haven't spent much time drawing straight up fantasy dragons and had a craving. I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas and new years!
    Last edited by David Keen; January 1st, 2012 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks
    Ohh so ambitious with the Dragon. Good to see! I rolled up a stone giant but we'll see what else I can think of. I had my mind bent on a quickling or a mind flayer but perhaps I could go to work on something more low level like a gnoll or an owlbear.
    For your dragon, Let's see some more comps that silhouette the whole body. Portraits are great but won't work for the chow. What kind of dragon are you going for? I'm dating myself here but I spent my fair share of time DM'ing AD&D 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance campaigns so I'm biased on what a dragon should look like. Are you going good or evil? What color, type? I''d personally like to see a good dragon because 99% of the time we get to see the evil red or blue dragons. If you are going Evil, let's see a white Dragon.
    Just my 2 cents.

Keep em comming!
    Cheers.

Thanks
    I'm starting a new practise regime that was posted on the ArtOrder blog a few days ago please have a look at the link and check it out. I'm excited to have a more structured way of trying to cover lots of different subjects and styles which is something I really struggle with. I'll be doing a lot more copies of master works to try and learn a bit about the way they put their images together. Below are the first batch of gestural master studies from Goya, Van Eyck and Gossaert in Painter. I've also got a wip of from last weeks unfinished cow entry.

@Wheels: I ended up getting completely lost in my dragon study, between getting used to Painter and the tricky anatomy of the dragon it was a bit of a wash. I really liked working in Painter though, I feel there is a much more tangible interaction between the myself and the painting than working in Photoshop. I'm going to keep mucking around and see what else I pick up. Your Minotaur design is coming along nicely! I like that he has pretty normal looking body and isn't 9 feet tall and 6 feet wide like most generic Minotaur's.

I sadly didn't grow up with many friends that were interested in fantasy and sci-fi so I've never played D&D. But I have played a whole lot of fantasy RPG's which has kept me somewhat in the loop. Just the other week I went out and bought the Wrath of Ashardalon a D&D board game which has been great fun and a nice middle ground between a board game that my less geeky friends will play and pure D&D.

Shall we Chow this week?

Thanks
    Hey man,
    Is that the art order workflow where the guy commits to btw 4-6 hours a day 6 days a week to study? I read it and I can't believe that he keeps that up on top of his professional work. Maybe when he is not working or between contracts but putting in 12 hour days as an adult with a family is not my cup of tea. Otherwise there are alot of good suggestions in his method and truely, we all need to discipline ourselves to keep studying and progressing our craft.

So far the studies seem to be comming along and you should keep posting them. I've gotten a little lazy lately and the mojo has not been flowing to freely. Instead I've been working on my web site and other projects.

I'll Chow if it is a good topic otherwise, I'd like to tackle the IOW or Envirow or even the Cow. We'll see what the subject matter is and go from there.

It's too bad you gave up on the Dragon but I likewise have lost steam on my creature. Something wasn't working but I might come back to it.

Old School D&D is great fun if you can get a good group together. The thing is finding a good DM and a consistent campaign. I once played a Star Wars campaign that only took place twice a year as the GM lived out of province. But when we got together we gamed for 16 hours straight and had a blast. MMORPG's are something that I don't do as they are massive time sinks. I check em out but I will myself not to get too involved. As for the board game, never tried it but it sounds like it might be fun but I'm an old school Risk kind of guy.

That's my ramble for today,

TTYL

Thanks
    Here are some more master copies for the day from Murillo, Lemoyne, Lépicié, Guardi & Metsu. The more polished piece "Immaculate Conception" by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo was completed in and hour and 15 minutes and the wip's are at 15 minutes and 45 minutes.

@Wheels: It is indeed the crazy 4 hour workflow, it seems pretty impossible to me that a professional would be able to fit it in around work but the intention is good. As yet I haven't been getting the whole thing completed in a day, but it has forced me to try and work faster and churn out more quick studies. Thankfully as a uni student on holidays I've got the time to try and improve my workflow.

I had a quick look at your the updated website which is looking good! I like the clear communication of topics on the left which keep navigation confusion to a minimum. One thing I keep hearing from art director blogs and podcasts is that it's good to have some images on the your homepage so viewers can quickly get a sample of your work and then explore the rest of the site from there.

Thankfully I've never gotten into MMO's either, I know I would get horribly addicted and lose all my free time. I try and stick to single player stuff like Baldurs Gate and things of that sort.

None of the challenge topics seem that great at the moment, I guess we'll wait for a fresh start next week? All the best mate.

Thanks
    A few more master studies for the day.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast