Poser seems to me like cheating

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Poser seems to me like cheating

I just installed Poser cause i heard the talk about Easy manipulation and it was actually correct ,, 1st time using it and i allready have a pro artwork...

Anyway i rendered the image and i started editing it on PS and then i sudently got the feeling of cheating cause i was doing the whole process for 20 min and it looks really good..

I did chose a woman figure,,hero pose, played a bit with colors , light, organ positions ,, etc with just the basic Poser stuff and i made it ready for PS..

I dont know if everybody does this in Poser cause its my 1st time and i totally suck at drawing..

So is it considered cheating ,riping if you take the default figure and do minor changes to it ??? i totaly dont know what to do,, dont know how to make my own figure

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Every time I see a cheating thread I cringe a little bit. You wouldn't say that using rulers to draw straight lines is cheating would you? Using photo reference isn't cheating, drawing half of a character and mirroring it to create a symmetrical model sheet isn't cheating. But you have to think of what you are and aren't learning when doing so, and you also have to be mindful of copyright issues.

For starters if you ONLY rely on Poser to understand anatomy, foreshortening, poses, etc, then you're bypassing learning those principles and you probably will grow a dependency on poser, which you don't want. And secondly if you build your reference from an inorganic and artificial source such as poser then you're not learning much about how human anatomy works; how the muscles deform, where the centre of balance is, etc. Your drawings will actually turn out not quite as good as they could've been if you took the traditional route. You want to draw from life as much as you can to rectify that.

While it's not cheating, wrong or bad and the art police are certainly not coming after you, it's only going to help you up to a point where you'll be bottle necked by your own limited understanding of human anatomy. So go learn it.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Every time I see a cheating thread I cringe a little bit. You wouldn't say that using rulers to draw straight lines is cheating would you? Using photo reference isn't cheating, drawing half of a character and mirroring it to create a symmetrical model sheet isn't cheating. But you have to think of what you are and aren't learning when doing so, and you also have to be mindful of copyright issues.

For starters if you ONLY rely on Poser to understand anatomy, foreshortening, poses, etc, then you're bypassing learning those principles and you probably will grow a dependency on poser, which you don't want. And secondly if you build your reference from an inorganic and artificial source such as poser then you're not learning much about how human anatomy works; how the muscles deform, where the centre of balance is, etc. Your drawings will actually turn out not quite as good as they could've been if you took the traditional route. You want to draw from life as much as you can to rectify that.

While it's not cheating, wrong or bad and the art police are certainly not coming after you, it's only going to help you up to a point where you'll be bottle necked by your own limited understanding of human anatomy. So go learn it.

1st thanks for the long reply it helps ,, anyway i understand everything you said but i dont think it does apply to 3D cause everything is there at the beggining (the whole figure i mean )) i can only move the joints and position of the figures while the figure stays appearance stays the same(( face,original looks))..

I have 0 knowledge about the whole body anatomy and i do thing that i will get addicted to suck a handy program which does everything by itself..
    I often go to traditional but i hate that there isnt the zoom option and i allways mess up the paper cause i shade to much, and i want to find the quick way for everything xD

Thanks
    Yeah. I guess I missed the most important point is that if you go into a company then they won't let you use any software that they haven't licenced, ala Poser.

If you have 0 knowledge then get some knowledge, and if you hate traditional because there isn't a zoom option then 1. Learn to put your head closer to the paper or 2. Use a magnifying glass. Self control, maaaaaaan.

Also you probably would have gotten more replies if you put this thread in art discussion.

Jordan Beeston
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Everyone knows you used it, I've certainly noticed some people on DeviantArt who trace Poser renders, I can tell it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Yeah. I guess I missed the most important point is that if you go into a company then they won't let you use any software that they haven't licenced, ala Poser.

If you have 0 knowledge then get some knowledge, and if you hate traditional because there isn't a zoom option then 1. Learn to put your head closer to the paper or 2. Use a magnifying glass. Self control, maaaaaaan.

Also you probably would have gotten more replies if you put this thread in art discussion.
    yea i guess mixed software is not allowed because that would make the entire game models different.
    I dont really hate traditional its just i go into a lot of detail with the eyes and hair and cant do that without zoom,, also my head is almost allways 10 cm away from the paper and its covering my lightsource so i cant see the paper well with shadows.

I dont have self control xD

Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    Everyone knows you used it, I've certainly noticed some people on DeviantArt who trace Poser renders, I can tell it.
    yes it can be something like that ,,i think using the models as a refferance then drawing is awesome, i am not sure about so called tracing , cause it something like adding a base,foundation object in photoshop then just continue from there , that my dilema

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    I dont really hate traditional its just i go into a lot of detail with the eyes and hair and cant do that without zoom.
    There are two tricks to this. One is to understand how much detail the viewer is going to see at the target resolution/print size, and not going too far beyond that, which is a time management thing. Secondly is being able to simplify the shapes, forms and lines in the eye to give an accurate general impression from a long distance away.

Compositionally the eyes do need detail because that's where we first look when we greet a person, but detail on the hair doesn't matter so much unless the hair is more important than the character's face.

Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    I dont have self control xD
    Life will teach it to you, or bear the consequences if you don't

Jordan Beeston

Members who have read this thread: 1