Art: Discovery of Atlantis
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Discovery of Atlantis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Discovery of Atlantis

Hi, this is my first finished piece here, probably my first finished piece full stop

I'm a beginning artist, still in school, but I'm making my entry-level portfolio to get an internship with it. This is my first piece I will put on my portfolio once my portfolio is up.

Still taking crits and tips on it, even though it is finished, I'm always interested to hear opinions on things that could have been better! Thanks

Name:  Discovery_Of_Atlantis.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  432.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great painting, imo it looks great, reminds me of the Odissey you really captured the epic atmosphere. Also i like the composition, great job! and good luck with that internship!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good! A few crits, though:

I might be tempted to scrap the ship on the left. Having two ships on both edges feels a little awkward. Take out the left one and nudge the one on right right a little farther from the border.

Maybe something a little more grand on the central island? You've got this huge setup throughout the piece all focusing our attention on the island and then there's... a few normal looking buildings? Give us some serious payoff there.

Watch out for the smudge tool. I have nothing against it (I use it all the time), but it's beginning to make your rocks really mushy. You can get away with it on the clouds and water, but the rocks should feel a bit more solid.

Once again: really nice piece. I think a few tweaks to it and you'll have a really solid portfolio piece. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks noah I really appreciate it. Ever since I saw your youtube tutorial, you've been a big inspiration to me. Been following the livestreams as well, the traditional one today was great, thanks for answering all my Q's!

Anyway, kinda counter intuitive considering this is the "finally finished" forum; but after the crits and a monitor calibration I did decide to update my piece another time. I ended up applying pretty much all of the crits to some extent, and a bunch of other ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had never thought, that it would look so much better without the second ship. The new buildings on the isle are great, but what really catch my eye is the lighting in front of it. Your eye have to look straight at this isle, because the light let it seems so mysterious. Love it. (Hope you understand, what I try to say )

Last edited by Tamaira2011; September 10th, 2011 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet! One final Crit - my eye really gets lost when I look at the masting of the ship. For a while I thought the rocks behind the masts were poorly rendered sails. Took me a moment to figure out what was going on there. I would darken down those cliffs so there is a clear separation between foreground and background.

Gabriel Sabloff
    Filmmaker/Illustrator
    www.tiradestudios.com
    gabe@tiradestudios.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UntamedC For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.