eyedropper to smudge, like its on brush?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anybody manage to find a way to add the ability to toggle "eyedropper" to the "smudge tool" just like it is on the "brush tool" and still have ALT free?

It would be great to be able to hold down a key to sample a color and let go of the key to bounce back to smudge.

so much is customizable on CS5, yet trying to do this is alluding me.

CS5.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its probably for the best that it wont let you bounce back to the smudge tool

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why is that?.

I am speaking assuming you are working already in smudge, so to color pick then go aback to your last tool (smudge) on key release would be very handy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you hold down the eye dropper keyboard shortcut in cs5, releasing it after sampling the color should revert to the previous tool

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meatsworthy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow! how the heck did I miss that!,

Meatsworthy were can I send you a beer!

TY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Select View Post
    why is that?.
    Not to step on anyone's toes or tell them how to paint their painting but the smudge tool/ hurricane tool in coral leave a pretty noticeable (not in a good way) stroke, that in general is usually pretty ugly. I'v really yet to see an example where it really helped in any sense of the word, most would do well to just forget about it, In my opinion.

-Demo-
    My Blog

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what you say in regards to the tool, it can be very useful for blending when set up properly (and by properly I mean no were near the tools default settings), yes... you can spot smudge abuse a mile away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Not to step on anyone's toes or tell them how to paint their painting but the smudge tool/ hurricane tool in coral leave a pretty noticeable (not in a good way) stroke, that in general is usually pretty ugly. I'v really yet to see an example where it really helped in any sense of the word, most would do well to just forget about it, In my opinion.
    Speaking from my limited personal experience - the smudge tool in PS is pretty awful too. It leaves very noticeable color distortion a lot of the time, and makes it all blurry. Unless I'm doing something very specific, I feel like I'm better off using liquify or the brush tool or just something else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its no lens flair but if used wrong can tag you as a noob very quickly. personally I like to "bubble wrap filter" a lens flair and then smudge the crap out of it...take that art word!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clarithium View Post
    Speaking from my limited personal experience - the smudge tool in PS is pretty awful too. It leaves very noticeable color distortion a lot of the time, and makes it all blurry. Unless I'm doing something very specific, I feel like I'm better off using liquify or the brush tool or just something else.
    heh tell that to Brad Rigney. It can work if used right.

Name:  CryptCrawlers.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  119.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.C. View Post
    heh tell that to Brad Rigney. It can work if used right.

Name:  CryptCrawlers.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  119.8 KB
    The fact that Brad Ringney can use it doesn't really prove it all that great of a tool, yes your always gonna get people that are highly experienced in there field of work that can produce good work with shitty product/ tool. for the other 99 to 999 artists again it would be best to just forget about it. if they want a blurry pulled line its best to learn how to paint it in and not pull across pixels. The fact that one highly skilled artist uses it to achieve decent results is not a great argument bring me 100 artist maybe ill change my mind... and don't make me even bring up ballpoint pen guy.

-Demo-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In digital painting there is no clear distinction between "just painting" and using stuff generated by computer. I believe that any tool can be used if the result looks fine.

EDIT: By the way - Brush tool in Photoshop is awful. Only highly skilled artists can get good results with it

Last edited by Farvus; August 27th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-Demo-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i use the smudge tool, works fine for me. A lot of my friends use it too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    In digital painting there is no clear distinction between "just painting" and using stuff generated by computer. I believe that any tool can be used if the result looks fine.

EDIT: By the way - Brush tool in Photoshop is awful. Only highly skilled artists can get good results with it

In digital painting there is no clear distinction between "just painting" and using stuff generated by computer. <- Good job missing the point by about a country mile.

I don't believe we've even come close to even mentioning the computers role in the process, the direction I assumed this was going was the result of the stroke of the smudge tool.. which looks like shit when used by its lonesome.. and sorry my opinion seems contradictory to some, but its an opinion I don't honestly care if you use smudge tool yeah there's plenty enough uses for it...hence it being a TOOL?? If you get great results with it more power too you .. but when I see backgrounds comprised entirely of

Name:  Cris-de-Lara-pin-up-girl-08.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  48.1 KB

I think

And this-- By the way - Brush tool in Photoshop is awful. Only highly skilled artists can get good results with it --- Is childish

-Demo-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Chill out. I don't get why you get so emotional about this. Smudge tool is best used for small touches and only in specific parts. It's more about the knowledge of how to treat different type of edges than knowledge of which tool to use or avoid. Same with brushes. There are hard edged brushes and soft edged brushes. Just beacause someone makes totally blurred airbrushy painting by bad use of brushes doesn't mean he has to avoid using ANY brushes.

Here are some quick examples of smudge tool. You can get interesting effects if you play with program a little bit.

And this-- By the way - Brush tool in Photoshop is awful. Only highly skilled artists can get good results with it --- Is childish
    Actually I'm not joking about this. Where in oil painting or watercolor you can get specific effect after applying just one brush mark, in Photoshop it takes few with additional tweaking colors to get at least some change in hue. Marks left by typical round brush look so uniform that totally lose with traditional brush marks where every single one has unique shape and texture (which gives much more expressive result). Also other painting programs have some features that make things easier. In Artrage the brush marks look good when it comes to color blending. Some other programs have better smoothing which makes them more suitable for digital inking e.t.c. Things are getting better with new versions of Photoshop though so it's great .

Last edited by Farvus; August 27th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus got it spot on there. It's just a tool.

I used to believe in this "smudge bad mmmkay" bullshit too. But after seeing what Rigney and Bumskee did with it, I gave it a try. Already I can tell that it can be super useful in the edge tweeking phase of the painting process. Same goes with color dodge and just about every other feature of photoshop. They're just tools, nothing more.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to be able to use the smudge tool right. I use the head that Whit Brachna made for it. It's like a textured square, and it's set to angle jitter and scatter. That way when you click on it, it smudges the area for you with out having to move the brush. It creates an effect somewhat similar to using a brush for blending with oils.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think i'm smelling a smudge tool challenge thread...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its kind of an idea of customizing your tools and "understanding" them.., I could never get any results I was happy with using the default "brush" tool,(even though I have seen lots of artists doing savant work with it) and so using scatter,spaceing and angle like Jacob mentioned can help push any tool towards something more to your liking.

Its not just digital media, I hold my pencil awkward and do ass loads of shading with a o.5 mechanical pencil when its been pounded into my head that I am going about it backwards. You have to EXPLORE a tool before you will know its usefulness to you, and just because it doesn't work for your buddy doesn't mean it wont be your "go to" tool of choice.

I have a friend who has worked in the history brush as his primary tool when sketching and painting, It works wonders for his work, and after countless trying I just find my brain isn't wired for that kind of work flow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's example process for painting girl's face

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post

Touche

EDIT : and even though I mentioned I suck with the smudge tool, it's definitely never a BAD thing to have too many tools at your disposal, granted you use them well

Last edited by clarithium; August 27th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1