Wannabe Sparth bot. Please crit this Sparth
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wannabe Sparth bot. Please crit this Sparth

Here's my wannabe sparth bot. Can someone please crit it. I would love if someone would mess with it, to make it better. I want my bots to look a lot more detailed and in less time cuz this one took me about 2 hrs. and I know im taking the long way there cuz I don't know how. Can someone help me out here. If your reading this Sparth, please crit me, or better yet mess with it and tell me how to improve. I just want to be better. thanks

Done in photoshop, mainly with paintbrushC'mon, talos, Davi, someone please crit this

Last edited by I.was.ink; December 10th, 2002 at 02:18 AM.
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unfortunatlety there are no shortcuts in mastering drawing and painting. I GUARANTEE you sparth has spent countless hours strugglng with the same stuff your dealing with--just keep working youll get better from experience--ty

start a new one , and then another , and then another gogogo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. those are some incouraging words. I will, nay I must surpass these struggles in digital painting. I just wish Sparth could see this.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey iwasink

sorry, didn't see your thread earlier.
    okay, here are my humble thoughts: it looks good. it cannot be overly criticized.
    colors: you decided to use a single tone. try to wonder if another tone could probably make your image richer. most of the time, you've got to think about primary and complementary colors. if you use a violet-purple tone, you could for example add an orange tone somewhere. there is no definite rule however. let your eyes wander around your image. sometimes, eyes are smarter than the brain itself!
    mess with layers, search for the right tones that will later on be used for the whole image. in order to go further, you must know however how colors can smartly interact.
    compo: rather abstract for now, but it's not an argument. ask yourself: is your form going to please the eye of the guy looking at your image? will he find interest looking at it? if you think the form is rich enough, leave it as it is. if you'renot sure, try going further. please yourself doing details too, it definitely counts.

the only true advice i can really give you is this one: look at how reality comes into your eyes. you will understand then that it is not that hard to reproduce. you must discover how light can suddenly render a scene, and even help to determine any compositions.
    it may sound odd, but the first rule i would recommand to learning artists would be that they open their eyes for good.
    not only to look, but also to store everything, in order to see the brain understand all these forms, and reproduce them more easily. close your eyes and imagine a scene, a robot (for example!). imagine the silhouette, the way it is built, the way it appears within an image, the way a light sources touches any object of a scene. hard exercice, but it's so useful. people have a lot of forms stored in their brains, they just don't know how to reproduce them...

my two cents....

i do not think it's a good idea for me to "mess" with it, as you called it yourself an improvment work. so i suppose you did it in order to determine the style you prefer, and the artistic techniques that fit better into your own personality.
    me redoing stuff within your image would have exactly the opposite result.

sparth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks. that was really inspirational. I will try that. It helped me out so much. Especiall the part about closing your eyes. I guess the reason why I would want u to mess with it is to see how u paint. In other words i would like to see a tutorial, or at least a step by step picture process. I think many of us on this board would benefit from it.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one thing that I agree with most in Sparth's post was his comment about colors.
    That was the one thing that came to mind when looking at this.
    But everything else everyone has said makes sense too =)
    Keep it up!

Members who have read this thread: 5