Help: Making a student portfolio.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help: Making a student portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help: Making a student portfolio.

I'm sure many of you guys can answer this pretty quickly. My art teachers never told us what guys at university, institutes, foundations etc are looking for when they review a students portfolio. I was wondering what sort of things I need to include in my portfolio in order to get accepted.
    I know how professional portfolios are made, but since I'm still a student, I can't make them yet. I know a portfolio is supposed to be consisting of 10-15 pictures, and I know they have to be in a specific order for good presentation. Here's are things I know I should include though.
    - perspective drawings
    - life: figure drawing, cast drawing
    - using colors

I was wondering if I'm missing anything.
    I'm applying for a figure class and concept art.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Takun32 View Post
    I'm sure many of you guys can answer this pretty quickly. My art teachers never told us what guys at university, institutes, foundations etc are looking for when they review a students portfolio. I was wondering what sort of things I need to include in my portfolio in order to get accepted.
    I know how professional portfolios are made, but since I'm still a student, I can't make them yet. I know a portfolio is supposed to be consisting of 10-15 pictures, and I know they have to be in a specific order for good presentation. Here's are things I know I should include though.
    - perspective drawings
    - life: figure drawing, cast drawing
    - using colors

I was wondering if I'm missing anything.
    I'm applying for a figure class and concept art.
    It all depends on the school and the program you are applying to, but generally what they want to see are the basics, figure drawing, drawing from observation and also illustrations, use of color, understanding of composition etc. If you are applying for concept art, then show concept art: ideation, character concepts, props, environment etc. For example at Art center, for their concept design program, they ask all entry portfolios to be a story, meaning that you must invent a new or re-imagined an existing story and create everything, characters, environments, the whole shabang!!!. Even so they still want to see some figure drawing and composition work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chil3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chil3 View Post
    It all depends on the school and the program you are applying to, but generally what they want to see are the basics, figure drawing, drawing from observation and also illustrations, use of color, understanding of composition etc. If you are applying for concept art, then show concept art: ideation, character concepts, props, environment etc. For example at Art center, for their concept design program, they ask all entry portfolios to be a story, meaning that you must invent a new or re-imagined an existing story and create everything, characters, environments, the whole shabang!!!. Even so they still want to see some figure drawing and composition work.
    Oh thank you!!! Funny thing is I've asked this question 3 days ago and it has taken 500+ views(scattered across many sites) and a total of one reply. Anyways, THANK YOU OMG!!! Also, for making it in depth. Not a single sentence like most replies I see in most sites.

Thank you!

One quick question thought is if they're looking for all of those, doesn't it defeat the purpose of them teaching me those things?

Last edited by Takun32; August 25th, 2011 at 04:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Takun32 View Post
    Oh thank you!!! Funny thing is I've asked this question 3 days ago and it has taken 500+ views(scattered across many sites) and a total of one reply. Anyways, THANK YOU OMG!!! Also, for making it in depth. Not a single sentence like most replies I see in most sites.

Thank you!

One quick question thought is if they're looking for all of those, doesn't it defeat the purpose of them teaching me those things?
    Well not really, it doesn't have to be perfect, got they want to see is that you have skills and an understanding of the major you want to go to, but most guys that apply to art school are already talented and show a lot of promise and this is more to get scholarship money, you can suck at it and still be accepted if you have the money lol, in other words "Welcome to the U.S university system" lol.

Also about the replies, is not that they don't want to help, but the thing is that we get so many post with the same questions over and over again, so many of us get tired of answering the same thing over and over again, all it takes is a little search around this forum and to read the stickies, still some of us are willing to help .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh okay. THANKS! Can't wait to go to the U.S and study there(in Canada). I dont fully understand how scholarships work but it's okay considering that I've been saving up some dough and combining it with my parents money, which I believed they saved up for my college. thanks a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.